Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-12-09, 2:06pm
make beads not war

Default Looking for a Digital SLR...

After my shows this season, I can afford one... YAY! So I'm curious... what kind do you have, why do you like it, etc. I'm looking between $1000-1200.

When I went to the camera store last month, the guy recommended a Canon XSi and was 'upselling' me a macro lens. Would I need a macro lens for the close-up pics of beads/jewelry? With everything else he was trying to add to the package, it came around $1400.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 2008-12-09, 2:15pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Nikon D-90 is the one I am eyeballing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-12-09, 3:14pm
ManBearPig

You don't need a macro lens. Take a look at some of my pics (even the one that is my avatar). They were all taken with a standard 18-55 lens.

I am personally a Canon fan, so I think you should go with Canon, but honestly both Canon and Nikon make great stuff. So, either way, you'll be fine. And any DSLR is overkill for photographing still photos of jewelry, glass, etc. So, get whichever one feels best in your hand...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-12-09, 3:44pm

When you go to the camera store, take some beads with you and take some pix. It's digital; a good camera store will let you try it out and form your own opinion, with and without an extra lens.

Make sure it is comfortable to use for you and of a size that you are comfortable handling. Decide BEFORE you buy what you plan to shoot in the future. Vacation pix, just beads?
Old 2008-12-09, 3:54pm
da General

I was always a "Nikon girl" for film cameras and when I finally went digital, I got a Canon 20D (which at the time was one up from the Rebel). Canon has been the pioneer in digital photography but Nikon is surely catching up, so you can't go wrong with either. I believe Nikon always has better prices for the entry-level SLRs.

I do recommend NOT getting the lens that usually comes with the camera but go with a slightly "better" lens. I got a EF-S 17-85 lens with the 20D.

As for macro lens, my professional photographer friend told me to get close-up filters instead and those have served me very well in photographing beads and jewelry.

Hope this helps.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-12-09, 4:53pm
Powers Art Studio

I have a Nikon D70s and it works great for photos just with the standard lens. If you're interested I may be selling it soon.
Andrea

Old 2008-12-09, 5:43pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

I have Canon EOS D400, its my baby. I have a couple additional lens and one of them is Macro lens but thats cause I'm interested in photography in general and I love taking pics of water drops. But you dont need special lenses to take Macro shots, these kinda of cameras are good enough for macro shots with their kit lens/regular/standard lens.

Old 2008-12-09, 5:45pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

I agree with Hayley about going to a slightly better lens when buying a kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I was always a "Nikon girl" for film cameras and when I finally went digital, I got a Canon 20D (which at the time was one up from the Rebel). Canon has been the pioneer in digital photography but Nikon is surely catching up, so you can't go wrong with either. I believe Nikon always has better prices for the entry-level SLRs.

I do recommend NOT getting the lens that usually comes with the camera but go with a slightly "better" lens. I got a EF-S 17-85 lens with the 20D.

As for macro lens, my professional photographer friend told me to get close-up filters instead and those have served me very well in photographing beads and jewelry.

Hope this helps.

Old 2008-12-09, 5:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Nikon D-90 is the one I am eyeballing!

*drool*
Sherena

Old 2008-12-09, 8:07pm

Yes, but why is the D-90 less expensive than the D-60?
Old 2008-12-10, 4:16pm

I have a Nikon d200 and a variety of lenses. I've been using the filters which seem to be pretty good. I got the d200 because I take a bunch of sports photography.

I've been a Nikon user for a long time, but the Cannons are good as well.

If you have a local camera shop, go in and talk to them about your needs. Bring a bead or jewelry and try taking some pics.

Good Luck!!

Mary
Old 2008-12-10, 4:36pm
Peerless Thread Killer

Okay, now I feel stupid....I have a Canon EOS 40D, and an EF28-135 lens. I was thrilled because I was able to buy it with some savings bonds I had for years. But, I can't take decent pics of my beads! I am not camera-savvy, and they don't come out looking "close", and if I get too close they are blurred. I was about to start saving up for a macro lens, but it seems like I shouldn't need one from the above posts. Any tips?

Old 2008-12-11, 12:06am
da General

Nina - I use close-up filters with my EOS 20D. I got the set of 1x, 2x, and 4x from B&H photo for about $70 with shipping. You need to make sure that your lens is 67mm or get one that fits.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...it_1_2_4_.html

Hope this helps.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-12-11, 12:09am
make beads not war

Coolness. I didn't think I needed a macro lens for bead stuff... but who knows. I might still get one. I love photography myself. I still use my Canon AE-1 every now and then... especially with B&W.

And why am I still up?
Old 2008-12-11, 2:16am
Ghost Town Glass

For me, it came down to the Canon or Nikon. I already had Canon lenses, so that was a positive that way, but I wanted the best camera. After a ton of research that left them pretty even, I finally ended up going with what someone here said - hold them and pick the one that feels most comfortable. I picked the Canon because the Nikon just did not fit my hand. I really think either of those two brands are an excellent choice.

Now taking good pictures of beads, well, once I figure it out...

Old 2008-12-11, 3:07am
Fancy Mammal

First question - do you own any lenses? or do you have close friends or family members who has a digital SLR that you would be comfortable borrowing lenses from?

If yes, I would suggest that you go with the same brand mount (Canon or Nikon) as the lenses that you have access to. Lens, over the long term will be a big part of your SLR investment.

If no, it means that's your first decision - Canon or Nikon. It's a bit like PC or Mac and you'll find diehard devotees in both camps. I liked Canon lenses better, so I got a Canon. Really, I think they are both very good tools and you'll be fine with either.

If no, your first decision is which of those two systems you want to go with. (You could still get another brand, for example Fuji cameras use the nikon mount system) That said, I'd suggest getting one of the those two, as they are the most common and standard.

How it fits in your hand will also make a difference, so I agree with the going to the camera store. I'd even suggest bringing your own digital card and taking the pictures back home and opening them up on your computer. And while you're doing that, don't let the sales person set the menus for you - try them yourself, to see if they "make sense" to you and if you can find things without using a manual.

You definitely don't need a macro lens. You can use them though. For me, if I didn't get a macro lens, I'd need to get close up filters. I'd never be happy using an 18-55mm for bead photos (kudos to those who are!). And over time I've been moving to using prime lenses because they have such better glass - which is the equivalent of using a better grade of clear.

If it were me, say I was buying it for a loved one who did beads... I'd probably buy the XSi because that way we could both use the lenses. But I wouldn't get the kit lens, or extra batteries. I would get a UV filter for whatever lens (they're cheap and protect the lens glass) I'd spend a bit more on the lens, maybe still getting a zoom, but there's better zooms than the kit lenses. If the lens bumped me out of my total budget, I would look at the XTi (previous model) new or refurbished. If you don't need the newest camera getting a slightly older model can be a great way to save money.
Old 2008-12-11, 10:33am
Peerless Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Nina - I use close-up filters with my EOS 20D. I got the set of 1x, 2x, and 4x from B&H photo for about $70 with shipping. You need to make sure that your lens is 67mm or get one that fits.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...it_1_2_4_.html

Hope this helps.
Thanks, Hayley! It does help, and thank you for the link

Old 2008-12-11, 2:08pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I really like my Olympus Camedia C-4000. It's totally old and they have newer ones for around $500, about $700 if you get the extended waranty and such.

Old 2008-12-11, 4:46pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEW View Post
Yes, but why is the D-90 less expensive than the D-60?
It isn't anywhere I have seen.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-12-11, 4:49pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I have a film Nikon with 2 lenses and those lenses will work with the new Nikons, so that is a major factor in my staying with Nikons. PLus, they kick butt

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-12-11, 5:00pm
In search of her path....

id go with a Nikon hands down.
the Nikon D80 or D90 you can definately get some nice kit sets for what you have set aside. I know adorama was running a kit special on D80s this week for $798

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2008-12-11, 6:21pm
make beads not war

So wait a minute... (it's stupid question time) a film lenses can be used with a digital slr body?
Old 2008-12-11, 6:24pm
da General

It all depends on how old your film lenses are . . . the newer ones with the auto focus will.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-12-11, 6:35pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I have a Nikon 8008 with 2 lenses and both of mine work fully with the D60, 70, 80 and 90, but not the D40. The lens works with the D40, but not the autofocus part.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-12-14, 8:46pm

I went with Canon since I have two film based Canons and a good selection of lenses that I can use. One nice benefit is that the because of the difference in digital sensor size and 35mm film size, lenses designed for film cameras have an effective focal length 1.6 times there stated local length. This means that my 300mm lenses really does great on wildlife now.

I will buck the trend and say get a good macro lens if you can afford one. It will be a constant investment if you upgrade your camera in a couple years in the same system. Most professional product shot potographers use macros when shooting jewelry and other small objects.

Extension tubes and closeup lenses can be used if you are on a budget, but both have tradeoffs. Extension tubes greatly decrease the available light that reaches the sensor making for much longer exposures. The cheaper ones also kill the autofocus on most cameras. This isn't a horrible things since manual focus is better on macro photography anyway.

Closeup lenses need to be very high quality becasue they are adding another piece of glass onto the lens for each one installed. I used them before I got a macro lens, but you get a slight softening to the image if you are not careful.

Probably the best investment you can make is a good, sturdy professional quality tripod. This will do more for your photos than just about anything else. Go with the larger ones because you want a wide base for extra stability. The little six to twelve inch ones sold as "digital camera tripods" are not worth much.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-02-07, 3:16pm
make beads not war

So if anyone is curious what I ended up with, I got a Nikon D-90. I did well enough in my last show to up my budget. Also, I had completely forgot I had another Nikon film camera and the lens works with my new baby.

Heheh... can't wait to play. Thanks for all the advice! I do think I will invest in a macro lens but for now it's all good.
Old 2009-02-09, 10:47pm
Broken

Melissa you'll LOVE it! I have a D70 with a 60mm macro and I love the macro, I do a lot of encasing and it makes my pictures so much better. No fiddling around now, just crop and upload.