Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2012-09-15, 7:18am

Default Setting up my new lynx

My brand new Lynx has finally arrived and I am trying to figure out how to get it set up. I have several queries two among them are,
1.) The Lynx instructions say "Set Propane Tank Regulator to 5 to 8 lbs. of pressure." What is lbs? Is it the same as PSI?
2.) For the Lynx is it recommended that the flashback arresters be connected to the torch or to the regulator?
I don't have much help around here so hoping you guys could help!

Rosh
Old 2012-09-15, 7:23am

1) yes.
2) I have my FBs attached at the tank. Personal choice.

You are gonna love this torch
Old 2012-09-15, 7:27am

Thanks LarryC for the prompt reply! I can't wait to start using my torch!
Old 2012-09-15, 8:37am

What is your O2 source?

Wolflo(Lois)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-16, 5:45am

I'll be using an O2 cylinder...does that matter? I've heard a cylinder doesn't last very long but being a beginner a concentrator seems way too expensive.
Old 2012-09-16, 8:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshini View Post
I'll be using an O2 cylinder...does that matter? I've heard a cylinder doesn't last very long but being a beginner a concentrator seems way too expensive.
nope. I use tanks as well. To preserve the torch always have both of the oxygen valves slightly cracked open when the torchb is lit. I started on a lynx, which I still have, and later purchased a mirage as well. The mirage has the lynx as its inner fire. Spend lots of time experimenting with the torch settings. It is an extremely capable and versatile torch but you have to be willing to experiment to learn its capabilities.
Old 2012-09-16, 11:31am
Curmudgeon Engineering

LarryC's post confused me for a bit. I think he means to have both the oxy tank valve open and the torch valve open. To which I very much disagree. Having a bit of oxy open when you light the torch will cause a pop (minor explosion) that makes me jump even after 50 plus years of welding.

POOP!

My method for oxy on tanks is;
1. Both torch valves closed
2. Open propane tank valve
3. Set propane regulator
4. Open oxy tank valve
5. Set Oxy Regulator
6. Open torch propane valve and light flame
7. Crack open torch oxy valve and adjust flame using both valves for flame size and chemistry.
8. Check regulators for correct settings. They sometimes drift off when 'load' is put on them.

Shut down in reverse.
Old 2012-09-17, 3:42pm

Nope. Sorry to confuse things. I wasnt talking about lighting procedure. GTTs sometimes get a bad rap for being delicate and easy to damage. This is not the case if you follow certain guidelines. The most important is to have both oxygen valves (Green and Blue knobs) at least cracked open slightly whenever the torch is lit (running). The oxygen running through the barrel of the torch keeps it cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
LarryC's post confused me for a bit. I think he means to have both the oxy tank valve open and the torch valve open. To which I very much disagree. Having a bit of oxy open when you light the torch will cause a pop (minor explosion) that makes me jump even after 50 plus years of welding.

POOP!

My method for oxy on tanks is;
1. Both torch valves closed
2. Open propane tank valve
3. Set propane regulator
4. Open oxy tank valve
5. Set Oxy Regulator
6. Open torch propane valve and light flame
7. Crack open torch oxy valve and adjust flame using both valves for flame size and chemistry.
8. Check regulators for correct settings. They sometimes drift off when 'load' is put on them.

Shut down in reverse.
Old 2012-09-17, 5:08pm
Wonder-wench

I had a Lynx and now a Phantom (Lynx inner fire).

I leave the Lynx blue valve (top O2) cracked a tiny bit open at all times, EXCEPT when lighting the torch. The reason is that I have it hooked up to OxyCons and it is my understanding that it's bad for the oxycons to run with nowhere for the O2 to go.

Also, I think keeping the blue valve cracked can help cool the torch, even after the oxycons are off, the O2 can bleed out that valve and help the torch cool down.

Just remember to close it just before lighting the torch to avoid the scary POP HISS and then crack it open again while adjusting the main propane and oxy valves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.