Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-11-20, 7:51pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Default DH's R170 B

I know the title sounds like a Star Wars robot but I was wondering if anyone else purchased some of this odd lot from Double Helix and if so - does anyone have any tips for me on working with it?

I have made some beads and they range from super awesome to 'eh'. I have noticed that if I keep putting them in the kiln over and over, their awesomeness increases - - sometimes. Is this perhaps an odd lot that is a bit like Pandora?

They told me all about it before I bought it at The Gathering but I'll be darned if I can remember a thing they said!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*f

Old 2008-11-20, 8:29pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Anybody? Hey, I know my thread isn't juicy like some... Maybe I should mention copying.... LOL!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2008-11-20, 8:55pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Those beads are great!
I'm just cracking up at the title.

"DH's R170 B"

Whatever happened to "coral" or "purple sunshine".
When we start stooping to R170 B....it's time
to break out the thesaurus....

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-11-20, 9:01pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

LOL! The thesaurus is our friend! The cupcakeasaurus...not so much.

*f

Old 2008-11-20, 9:07pm
Fancy Mammal

Hey, I knew *immediately* what you were talking about! 'Course I can't really help because I don't have any, but I like what you've done with it.

ETA: It looks like it wants more heat. I have some Striking glass that gets ranges like this, but I don't get the vibrant bits unless I burn it.
Old 2008-11-20, 9:18pm

Lori I found the nifty paper that I got with my DH stuff at the gathering.
it only says R-170 B is an Opaque silver copper strike.
I was hoping for more info. Maybe that will help jog someone a memory though and get you some info.
good luck.
Old 2008-11-20, 9:24pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Ooh, copper makes sense because it goes through a copper green color first. More annealing time brings out more of the purples. Although, the two darkest and the two lightest beads actually had just about the same amount of time in the kiln. I remember Jed saying that Pandora was a kiln striker and was like opening Pandora's box in that you were never totally sure what was going to appear. I love that!

*f

Old 2008-11-21, 9:22pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Anybody else buy any of this stuff?

*f

Old 2009-01-09, 6:55pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Bump. I am seriously considering throwing these rods at a wall. Help me. I've tried heating the holy crap out of it, striking it, kiln striking it, heck I even have a set I put in the kiln every time I run it.

*f

Old 2009-01-09, 7:00pm
Entropy increasing....

Toss them my way, would you?
Old 2009-01-09, 7:20pm

Sorry no help I have S 170 and really haven't worked it. I see you said it says strike sooo I thought the "s" were striking... and the "r" reducing Sorry to add to the confusion

Last edited by yellowbird; 2009-01-09 at 7:23pm.
Old 2009-01-09, 7:38pm

Lori,
Try this, Once you have encased the bead let all of the glow dissappaer from the bead. I ussually put mine down under the bench to make sure there is no glow left.
Then turn your propane knob up until you have a large bushy blue/orange flame. Heat the bead back up in the back of the flame just until the glow returns and then pop it in the kiln. This should bring out the colors and provide some consistancy. let us know if it works!!!!

Old 2009-01-09, 7:57pm
da General

Lori - are all those beads encased? I don't have this DH odd lot but I believe it's a striking silver glass. What color were your beads when you started to encase them? Are the ones that yielded more colors dark while the others had already been struck to light hues? Does that make sense? lol!

Striking silver glass is tricky to encased if it's over struck already in the flame BEFORE encasement. Try this:

• Make your base bead
• Let cool until the glow is gone
• Re-introduce at the tip of your neutral flame
• It should turn completely dark (brown or purple)
• Keeping the bead below the flame, encase it with clear
• This may or may not work with this odd lot. Usually at this point, you shape the bead, let it cool again until the glow is gone and re-introduce it at the tip of the flame of your neutral flame and you should have a range of colors.

Hope this helps!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-09, 8:12pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Yes, they are all encased. The beads are all dark when I try to encase them but as soon as the clear hits them, they go to a slightly copper green poop color. Sometimes they come out of the kiln struck to the most gorgeous range of colors, sometimes they stay the copper green poop color. If they don't strike the first time in the kiln, they pretty much don't strike. I've gotten spots of color here and there on a couple of the beads that went into the kiln multiple times but, for the most part, nothing.

*f

Old 2009-01-09, 8:18pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I want to make a set of 10 of beads like this one. I think I may be delusional.

*f

Old 2009-01-10, 9:51am
yukue fumei

Holey Guacamole--gorgeous bead Lori!
I have to check and see if I have this color....
I get R, RH, HM mixed up sometimes....
whatever you do, don't throw it!!!

nagi

Old 2009-05-12, 10:00pm
I like to melt things

I really love this colour. Here are the two beads I've made with it. I only had one rod, but I got really lucky and when I emailed Julie at Double Helix she found some for me. I don't think I'll ever have enough of it, but I will do what I can to make what I do have last.

The lentil has TAG Green Dalai mixed in with it.

Unfortunately, the lentil cracked. I'm not positive whether it was the different clear I used or if I stressed the glass too much in the lentil press, but it was pretty until it broke apart. I'm pretty confident that the silver glass was not the problem since the other bead stayed very intact.

-
-
Old 2009-05-13, 4:51am
A True Woofer

I bought some at the Gathering. I'm not sure if I've used it yet. Hopefully I'll get to the torch soon and I'll try it out and let you know.

Old 2009-06-12, 6:28am
I like to melt things

I have some more R170 beads. I love this colour an unreasonable amount.

It seems to be a really fast striker, and really easy to overstrike if you get it too hot. Overstruck, mine is pink/pinkish beige.

-
-
Old 2009-06-12, 9:54am

Lori,
You say you put the beads back in the kiln. Do you raise the temp very slowly so they don't crack. Sorry to ask a dumb question but it never occured to me you could put beads back in the kiln yet this is the second time I read this today!!
Thanks,
Mary
Old 2009-06-12, 10:07am
The Voice of Reason

Beautiful glass!
Old 2009-06-12, 11:56am
just plain silly

Mary, You can put the beads back into a COLD kiln and just let them heat up while your kiln is ramping up to the regular holding temperature. When they are heated up you can either pull them out and introduce them slowly back into the flame to re-work, or just leave them in the kiln if you are trying to re-strike.

Suzanne
Old 2009-06-12, 12:03pm

Thanks Suzanne,
I ramp up at full to 970 is that to fast?? Also, I asked on another thread but is 970 to hot to hold my beads. I usually hold for 6 hours (while I work) and then go into the annealing cycle. I don't have a problem with my beads but I'm going to start using more silver glass and don't want to ruin it.
This is very interesting>
Mary