1# Mapp gas (yellow can) 38 28.57%
1# Propane 15 11.28%
other 13 9.77%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-12-14, 2:25pm
Ishum Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemwapuwa View Post
oh thanks Jonibird, I got to that ppoint of not being able to turn the flame up, and i threw it out but, now i will pull stringers till the end.

will the flame go out when it is empty is so is that bad for the HH
AND . . . when you think you are at the end, you probably aren't. Get yourself some boiling water (I just use a tea kettle) and pour it into a container that is big enough and deep enough to dip about 1/2 of your cylinder into a nice hot bath. Keep it there about 30 seconds and then set the container down within reach. Fire up that previously dead seeming torch! You'll find you can probably make some beads, as well as some twisties or stringers! I was shocked to realize how much MAPP-Pro I was wasting (and at about $8/cylinder, it adds up).

Currently using a HH, but within a couple weeks (Thanks, Santa!), I'll be switching to a Bobcat and a couple Air Sep Oxy Elite Cons!

Last edited by foolrex; 2010-12-15 at 12:43pm.
Old 2010-12-14, 8:25pm
That which you are given

thanks Foolrex

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-16, 3:03am

I have a hothead and use a 27 pound bulk tank of propylene (sp?). It works great, lasts a long time and the pressure is very good.

Visit me here:

Old 2010-12-26, 6:16pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Please pardon my ignorance, if this is the case, but..

What is the difference between propane and propylene?
I think (again, correct me if I'm wrong) here, we have LPG (natural gas for BBQs), which is propane?
It's quite dirty if I torch too close. I'm not sure of alternative fuels for the HH in Australia.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2010-12-26, 7:01pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post
Please pardon my ignorance, if this is the case, but..

What is the difference between propane and propylene?
I think (again, correct me if I'm wrong) here, we have LPG (natural gas for BBQs), which is propane?
It's quite dirty if I torch too close. I'm not sure of alternative fuels for the HH in Australia.
Propylene, Chemtaine, Mapp-pro (or whatever it's called these days) are brazing fuels, and from what I know, plumbers use them for soldering. They are all similar and contain additives that make this fuel burn cleaner and a little hotter, about 300 degrees.

(someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the degrees hotter....but anyway, it does burn hotter and MUCH cleaner than propane IMHO)
Old 2010-12-28, 9:27pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

I am on a Hothead with bulk propane and I do fine now. I completely clear out my hose when I am shutting down. It has stopped the gunk and spitting I was enduring.

Old 2010-12-28, 10:08pm

I have been using bulk fuel with my HH for several years now, and switched from MAPP to Propylene when availability became an issue. I'm willing to have a go at any of the soft glasses, even when conventional wisdom says it probably wont work with a HH. Usually I get some degree of success, even with Raku (but I had to work for that!) I have a real fondness for small beads, and the HH is just perfect for making my tiny beads!

Sorry for the blurry pictures...
Old 2010-12-29, 5:48am

Oops, I selected "bulk propane". Remove one vote from that section because I don't use a hothead. Learn to read, Patti! =)

But when I was using a hothead, I used the little yellow MAPP gas. Expensive! I am saving a TON of money with my new torch and bulk propane.

Last edited by truegem; 2010-12-29 at 5:51am.
Old 2011-01-22, 8:30am
addicted to dichro

I'm on a hothead with bulk propane, I do have a regulator on the tank though. Otherwise I would not be able to work well when it's warm outside, the high pressure causes flame fluctuation.
Attached Images

Old 2011-01-22, 9:24am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyjw View Post
I'm on a hothead with bulk propane, I do have a regulator on the tank though. Otherwise I would not be able to work well when it's warm outside, the high pressure causes flame fluctuation.
I am on bulk propane too, but when I put a gauge on to show how full the tank was, it messed with my flame volume. Do you attach your regulator at the propane tank? Does it have any particular setting needed?

Just curious - here is the South I get the high heat summers and cold winters. And your beads are glorious. I didn't realize you were on a Hot head!
Old 2011-01-22, 9:41am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Bulk Propane here and here are some of the beads I've been making recently on my HH. These are between 32-39mm long...

Old 2011-01-22, 11:35am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Just fabulous Amber! I've been drooling over your work for a while now!

I'm working on Birdies and Mermaids lately... today I worked up a Mer-male AND a Maid. They're in the kiln, so I'm hoping for success tomorrow!

Old 2012-09-08, 4:44pm
We are all meant to shine

I was on a hot head until January 2012. I loved it until I got to the point that I knew what I was doing, but it wasn't being done fast enough. That's when I knew I needed a hotter torch. For the learning curve it is wonderful, but once you learn bump it up to a hotter torch. I'm on the cricket now and I doubt I will ever need another torch.

All the beads in my gallery at my website (link below) were done on a hot head!

Old 2012-09-09, 5:24am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I know what you mean Mary. I got a Cricket and I love the heat for speed, but I leave my Hothead set up for fine detail in the soft flame. I use a 60 psi Regulator on the Hothead to allow a very small flame and I just love it.

Old 2012-09-21, 9:10am
Mary Lockwood

I used a hothead with bulk propane for about 3 years and I was still happy with it when I switched. At the time I only switched because I wanted to start teaching and I felt funny about teaching on a type of torch I wasn't familiar with so I figured I better get familiar. LOL

I still miss my hothead for dichro.

This one is the first bead I ever sold.

Old 2012-09-21, 10:18am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Beautiful Mary!
Old 2013-07-08, 5:29pm
addicted to dichro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
I am on bulk propane too, but when I put a gauge on to show how full the tank was, it messed with my flame volume. Do you attach your regulator at the propane tank? Does it have any particular setting needed?

Just curious - here is the South I get the high heat summers and cold winters. And your beads are glorious. I didn't realize you were on a Hot head!
Sorry I took a year to answer this, yes I attach the regulator at the tank. Actually I should say my dad is trained to work with propane so he is the one who found and installed the regulator. No particular setting, it depends on the temperature and the amount of propane in the tank so I have to adjust it every once in a while.

Old 2013-07-08, 5:41pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

I have a 0-60 psi Regulator directly on my tank, and it makes all the difference in my Hothead's performance. You can take the flame down to a low soft flame, or up to the full volume.

When you burn out the line there is far less gas wasted. I would always want one now. You can get them from Ace hardware, as well as the small adapter needed to connect it to the hose.