Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-01-08, 10:22pm

Thanks guys, well, i'm trying to decide what kind of flower to make, and also just want to know if they're any good. My sales are very slow, (read non-existent), so I'm pretty unsure if I should even be in the competition!
Old 2014-01-11, 3:34pm

all of the black and white marbles are stunning

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-01-24, 4:59pm

new flower pendants.
Old 2014-01-25, 7:27am
Flamewoman

Very Nice Vira! Is the pink one ( bottom row, left) a fume pendant? That pink is
so nice. Thanks for posting these, so pretty.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-01-25, 3:11pm
Evil Glass Enabler

I like number 4 best! They all rock though! Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by vira View Post

There you go, sorry if this is a huge thread hijack.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2014-01-25, 3:59pm

Thanks kids. And yes Mary, the pink one is gold fume and china white.
Old 2014-01-27, 4:52pm

Been doing flowers awhile but this is one of my first in boro.
Attached Images

Old 2014-01-27, 5:34pm
Flamewoman

Whoa Zman, that is beautiful! What colors did you use? Loving that yellow over white. Thanks for posting.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-01-27, 9:42pm

I wish I could help you out with the colors but I'm using scrap color that my brother gave me so i have no clue what any of it is.
Old 2014-01-29, 7:24am
Flamewoman

Default Finally!

I think I finally got it figured out how to resize pictures for LE.
Got a new computer and all the programs are different, so hard
for me as I am not really a computer person. Here is a floral I did last week!

wow really small pictures, oh well.

Oh jeeze I think I figured out how to post a decent size picture. I hope.

PLEASE like my page!

Last edited by Mary K; 2014-02-01 at 2:44pm.
Old 2014-01-29, 8:47am

Beautiful Mary!
Old 2014-01-31, 5:15pm

I had to take a break from flowers since I hurt my shoulder making them. Tried to make a bigger one and the weight really did something bad to my shoulder. Anyhow, finally felt up to trying one again.

Old 2014-02-01, 1:35pm
Everlasting Fire Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by vira View Post

There you go, sorry if this is a huge thread hijack.
These are stunning!

Everlasting Fire Studio
5036 N. Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625
Old 2014-02-02, 12:32pm
Bernhard Riegler

wonderful flowers in here - a sad little try from me - the only good thing is the colours - nice sparkle in the sun
Attached Images

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Old 2014-02-04, 4:31pm
Melting

Such a beautiful thread. I just love the black and white ones! I've been admiring them.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2014-02-05, 8:33pm

Everything is pretty lovely!
Old 2014-02-10, 11:44pm

here is another one:

Old 2014-02-11, 7:34am
Flamewoman

Nice one Will, your symmetry is improving, that is just lovely. I don't see any air bubbles, & love that orange you used for center. Nice!

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-02-19, 10:28pm
Flamewoman

Default Spring Flowers

here are some new one's from me!

PLEASE like my page!

Last edited by Mary K; 2014-02-20 at 7:48am.
Old 2014-02-20, 7:35am
Melting

I got Ron's tutorial and it was amazing. I always wondered how people got those awesome colors in their petals. Here's one I made yesterday.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2014-02-20, 7:43am
Flamewoman

That is beautiful Theresa!
Here is another try from me on picture size, I'm still figuring it out.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-02-20, 8:01am
Melting

Thanks so much Mary! That means a lot.

Yours in incredible.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2014-02-21, 1:33pm

Mary, that halo effect you get on your petals is amazing. Really beautiful. A friend was asking if I could make a pendant so here are my first tries. How thin should these be? Mine seem rather thick, like just a marble cut in half. I tried to smash it to make it thinner but that seems to smash the flower too. I need to practice the bails a bit also.

Old 2014-02-21, 2:28pm
Melting

They are going to be flatter than they would be in marble form. You have the opportunity for more depth in a marble. What I do is remove as much of the lens as I can without affecting the design. I do this once I have the punty on the back of the pendant.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2014-02-21, 2:42pm

Beautiful Flowers everyone!!!

Mary K Mind if I ask you what color you used on that last flower you did on the petals and pistols! DH is curious LOL (read next sentence)!

DH is just starting out in glass and wouldn't you know it he had to start in Boro imploded flowers! Nothing like picking one of the harder techniques to start with LOL!
Attached Images

LynieG
Old 2014-02-21, 5:48pm
Flamewoman

Hi LynieG,
The center stamens of the pink flower are in two layers, the inside set of 5 stamens are a cane made of chinese white covered with indian dark green. The outer set of stamens are GA Aqua covered in Turbo Cobalt. These are special stamen canes I make and pull out thin, but not too thin because I need to just bounce it off the maria face to get stamens that tiny, and they are hair thin. The petals are composed of two glass colours, first I lay down a thin line of Loki and then on top of that I used half blood, thin line again. You can get similar effects like the halo you all like with most any silvered glass, like the amber purple family, purple lustre, silver creek etc. Just lay a really thin line and then go over it again with a thin line of something that will go opaque, which the half blood did not for me, I was experimenting looking for a replacement for Ruby Strike 4 which seems to be discontinued. Takes years of practice and knowledge of how the glasses work together to get the lines that small and thin for the petals. If you want to know more about floral work check in the "Free Boro Tutorials" section that is lost above the boro room, I have a detailed thread on how I do florals, but who would know.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-02-22, 9:00pm
Flamewoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will.T View Post
Mary, that halo effect you get on your petals is amazing. Really beautiful. A friend was asking if I could make a pendant so here are my first tries. How thin should these be? Mine seem rather thick, like just a marble cut in half. I tried to smash it to make it thinner but that seems to smash the flower too. I need to practice the bails a bit also.

Will thanks for the complement.
Don't mash your pendant to reduce the lens height, just keep pulling more glass off the lens after you punty up and pull the cane off the design. I like to use my small paddle mashers for that, it works really well and doesn't leave marks.
Those are not bad trys for first pendant, they're nice. I like the one on the right, and you even pulled off a yellow backround, I would bubble that all to hell, I have a hard time with yellow. Doing a nice bail just takes practice, you will get there, I hope you have a reamer, makes it easier. Your bails look centered, just remember to turn your flame down and heat the joint where the bail joins the pendant body, that will even it out and set it down. I like to see it when someone slows down and puts a nice bail on their work, it shows respect for what you are trying to do. Sometimes you just have to fiddle with them to get them right, remember to keep your piece hot though, while you do this.

PLEASE like my page!

Last edited by Mary K; 2014-02-23 at 7:06am.
Old 2014-02-23, 12:21am

Thanks Mary. I tried pulling glass off the front which worked better. It still seems more marble-like than what I would consider a pendant. I don't think I could take much more off this one. Bail is way better too. I am mostly happy with this one. The yellow is GA Lemon Drop. I like it. It can still boil but doesn't seem as bad as the opaque yellows to me.

Old 2014-02-23, 7:05am
Flamewoman

Will that one is just right. The bail is darn near perfect, and overall that's a nice pendant, perfect for next Christmas, lol.
Do you have any frit? Next flower you make for a pendant, try one dip into paparazzi frit and then one dip into a small size green frit, like clover or shamrock,then a couple dips into some kind of black or cobalt,( melting it in each time) gives a nice natural backround for flowers.
You are on the right track, keep trying different colors for petals and staymens, find the one's that work for you, your work is really coming along.

PLEASE like my page!

Last edited by Mary K; 2014-02-25 at 1:20pm.
Old 2014-02-25, 9:03am
Melting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Do you have any frit? Next flower you make for a pendant, try one dip into paparazzi frit and then one dip into a small size green frit, like clover,then a couple dips into some kind of black or cobalt,( melting it in each time) gives a nice natural backround for flowers....
I think I'm going to try something like that. Next time I get to the torch I might make some frit in some (safe) greens and jackpot. I've tried powder but I hate the way it looks most things and it boils like crazy for me.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20