Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-04-30, 6:20pm
szglassy

Default Frit Tray--where To Get

Hey everyone---------

I was wondering ..........what does everyone use to hold their frit in while working a piece? A tray?

What does everyone use to apply the frit,besides roll it in the molten glass.

What does everyone store their frit in?

I would love to know!
Old 2008-04-30, 6:29pm

I've used lots of different things for my frit, but my favorite are the round glass candle plates from a craft store for about $1-2.00. They usually have a lip around them that is high enough to keep the frit in , but low enough that I just roll my hot bead across the plate to cover it with frit. The ones I use can be stacked, and I usually have a stack of 4 or 5 all with different colors of frit to use as the spirit moves me. I generally store my frit in baby food jars that I get from friends or from the local freecyclers group.
Hope this helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-04-30, 6:59pm
Life is change. Love it

I just use the base of my crunch press

Old 2008-04-30, 7:05pm
Trying to Hope!

I get these little alluminum trays for paint from a school supplie store there usually only 50 cents each and last forever

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2008-04-30, 7:26pm
geekitude on two wheels

For small amounts, I use a snail/appetizer server I got at the dollar store. I generally keep my frit in spice jars, and just take a little out as I need it.
Old 2008-04-30, 8:46pm
Glass-aholic

Chinese rice spoons (at surpluss store)
stainless condiment cups
cute little ceramic tea bag saucers (got at ceate&barrel)
Glass ash trays (love the groves in the side. They are perfect for the mandrel handle)
antique crystal individual butter turines. Found at a antique store for .25 cents!! (the perfect size! Also the crystal cups that hold the silverware with the slot for the handles, just as big as a spoon!)
The little triangle trays from widget supply
Mini terracotta flower pot saucers
shall I go on?? If its pretty and will tolerate heat I have probably used it at least once!!! Lol
I store my frit in the stack screw on cylenders in the bead storage area. They come in different sizes and I tape the lable to the side. Other than that they stay in the jar they came in or tin they came in...

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2008-04-30 at 8:51pm.
Old 2008-04-30, 10:32pm
Ad astra per aspera

One more possibility. I store my frit and apply it out of aluminum small parts storage containers from Lee Valley. They have glass lids, stack well, and you can even write color names on the sides with a Sharpie. They're very sturdy. Just one problem....DO NOT shake the frit or allow it to get up into the lid. Very small particles can collect between the lid and base, making it virtually impossible to get the container open without brute force. I still like 'em, though.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...48&cat=1,43326

Old 2008-05-01, 6:14am

Default frit trays

These are stainless steel
http://www.fineartbyrocio.com/tools.html
Old 2008-05-01, 7:14am
Button Queen

I like to frequent the local Goodwill. I can usually find some shallow crystal/glass containers or ash trays.
Old 2008-05-01, 7:41am
You talkin to me?

My husband made me these, pmc and wood. I roll the bead around in the frit, and it works great!

I work on a Minor burner, with an oxy-con and household natural gas
Old 2008-05-01, 8:16am

I LOVE mine from Rocio - see the post above, the stainless steel trays. I know there are less expensive ways to go, but here's why I like these: they're stainless, thus pretty much indestructible; the square corners make it easy to poor the frit back into ANY container, including the tiny baggies; they stack; I use them for LOTS of stuff - petals, murrini, etc.; and finally, well, I think they're pretty! LOL Plus, I'm one of those type of people (yes, okay, anal) that likes everything to match. I HATE picking up one of that, two of those, etc....LOL

Last edited by Yellow Dog Girl; 2008-05-01 at 8:17am. Reason: misspelled word (told you I'm anal!)
Old 2008-05-01, 8:16am

Aren't you afraid of melting the PVC pipe melissa? I see where you've scorched it--I know that stuff stinks when it's melted! (knowing me, I'd set it on fire--heck, I've scorched my crunch press handle a few times--I use it as a hand-held marver all the time!)
That design is great though--I'd love to see it done with a piece of, oh, copper or other metal pipe!

I'm like jaci--if it will hold frit & it's flame/heat proof, I've likely had frit in it! I use spoons with handles bent to make them sit flat on the table a lot. My favorites are the little mini-sauce/gravy boats Nikki sent me though!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-05-01, 8:40am
You talkin to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
Aren't you afraid of melting the PVC pipe melissa? I see where you've scorched it--I know that stuff stinks when it's melted! (knowing me, I'd set it on fire--heck, I've scorched my crunch press handle a few times--I use it as a hand-held marver all the time!)
That design is great though--I'd love to see it done with a piece of, oh, copper or other metal pipe!

I'm like jaci--if it will hold frit & it's flame/heat proof, I've likely had frit in it! I use spoons with handles bent to make them sit flat on the table a lot. My favorites are the little mini-sauce/gravy boats Nikki sent me though!

Yes, I did scorch it a couple times. But I dont let the bead sit for any length of time. It's just a quick roll or two and that's it. The smell isn't to bad either. I just plug my nose! hehe...

Old 2008-05-01, 9:50am
Glass-aholic

I saw the stainless trays and remembered that I have also used the metal electrical outlet covers with out the holes. (home depot) These are great for pixie dust too! That stuff is hard to "swap out" but the outlet covers are thin enough to stack every other way, and pull out what I want right away!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-05-01, 10:20am

Ooooh......outlet covers...i work @ my sis's hardware store on occasion...wonder why I never thought of snagging some of those when I was there? (you should see my charge slip! I spend my whole paycheck right back to the store whenever i work for them!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-05-01, 10:51am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by melzip View Post
Yes, I did scorch it a couple times. But I dont let the bead sit for any length of time. It's just a quick roll or two and that's it. The smell isn't to bad either. I just plug my nose! hehe...
When PVC gets to hot it puts off cyonide gas.

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2008-05-01, 11:44am
You talkin to me?

Oh no!! I'll be looking for another method then.

Thank you for that info!

Old 2008-05-01, 3:34pm

These are great for frit storage!
http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/...zer/SDE4-20box
Old 2008-05-01, 4:45pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

have hubby get a piece of 2 inch metal pipe take it to any metal shop they will cut it in 1/2 for you pretty cheap.

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2008-05-01, 4:52pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

Hi,
I have a whole stack of restaurant single portion ceramic serving dishes I got for .25 each. I like them because heat doesnt bother them, they were cheap, they are shallow, they stack, they clean easily. Did I mention CHEAP.. oh yeah,, I did. They are oblong, and big enough I can alsonuse them for rolling blown work into powders or frits as well as beads. They have semi square corners so its easy tpo pur the stuff back into baggies or containers.

When I use any sort of powders, i do NOT transfer them inside my shop to avoid any glass dust from contaminating my area, and my lungs. I also use my respirstor when I transfer them outside. I dont worry so much a bout frits though.

Happy hunting for suitable items,

Candice King-Palgut
Old 2008-05-01, 7:54pm
You talkin to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLASSFREEK View Post
have hubby get a piece of 2 inch metal pipe take it to any metal shop they will cut it in 1/2 for you pretty cheap.

Mike
Thank you Mike, i'll do that.