LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-02-25, 9:41am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Dog Girl View Post
First, a reply to "rude Laura:" (LOL) I think they became pleated beads (at least for me) when I made a distinction in the 3-D look of the "pleated" beads. I make a LOT of twistie beads - and most don't have that 3-D effect.

So, the baleen thing. I tried a couple this weekend. I have never seen a Barley one in person (finances and life prevented me from taking his class the last time he was in Austin), but here's my interpretation from the pictures I've seen. If they're even close, let me know, and I'll be happy to share my how-to (which may be (probably isn't!) even close to MB).

(Sorry sorry sorry about all the smutz on the pictures - I wanted them kind of big so you could see the effect, but we have 5 long-haired dogs - dusting is an almost daily thing, and obviously on this day I decided to take pictures rather than dust!)
Yes, please, please share your how-to! Thank you
Old 2008-02-27, 1:36pm
Gimme that silver glass!

I get the encasing right, but didn't know what kind of twistie to make and use for the 3D effect. Thanks!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-02-27, 1:42pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Dog Girl View Post
So, the baleen thing. I tried a couple this weekend. I have never seen a Barley one in person (finances and life prevented me from taking his class the last time he was in Austin), but here's my interpretation from the pictures I've seen. If they're even close, let me know, and I'll be happy to share my how-to (which may be (probably isn't!) even close to MB).
Oh please share how you did this! I keep wasting time and glass trying to figure it out without much success...
Old 2008-02-28, 8:21pm

Yes, I would love to know. I have wanted to know for a while. I haven't been fortunate enough to take a class from Michael Barley but I would love to. I've tried many things to get the affect but haven't been successful. I often wonder why so many people that have taken his class haven't shared this technique. I would really love to know. I have asked people as nicely as possible that have had his class and each one has politely told me that they don't want to share. That is okay. I do understand but if you have managed to figure it out, I would really love to know. I would really appreciate it.

Old 2008-02-28, 11:01pm

Verena I watched your youtube video. I picked out a few things that I missed when I tried it. The next time I try pleated beads I should be more successful Thanks for sharing! jj
Old 2008-03-02, 3:57pm
Mad about Glass

The big question for me is "How to make a large pleat bead?" I can make a small one like a small stripe bead but I can't get one to work at say 2cm long.

Can any one help?

Thanks
Jenn

[url]

Old 2008-03-02, 4:19pm
Satake Woman!

Jenn, have you tried a really fat twistie?

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2008-03-03, 12:07am
Mad about Glass

Thanks Jo. I tried that today after reading the other thread and it worked!!!

Thanks Jenn

[url]

Old 2008-03-03, 6:55am

This is a great thread. Thanks, everyone.

I too was wondering about the longer beads. How fat does that twistie have to be - ?more than 1/4 inch?

I used some pretty fat ones - maybe 3/16ths and got nice beads - but not long. Maybe I should keep adding clear on top of the clear and shape the beads into a barrel gently? I did try that once and got an OK bead of about 12mm, but the twistie kind of "peters out" at the edges. maybe there's a better way of melting it in. It takes a really long time in the hothead.

Should I be melting from each side or mainly in the center?
Old 2008-03-03, 2:41pm
Satake Woman!

You shouldn't need a twistie bigger than 1/4". It will spread quite a bit. I do keep adding clear on top and shaping the barrel as I go. I find I get longer beads this way.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2008-03-03, 5:07pm

Verena, THANK YOU for the wonderful demo video. Seeing you make it really helps me understand how they're done. The music was perfect as well! This is a must see if you're trying to learn this technique.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2008-03-03, 5:11pm

Default ditto

yes - thanks all for the wonderful tips and help on this method!
Old 2008-03-03, 6:57pm
Superkitty

Verena, your video was very helpful. Thank you so much! I'm going to try it tomorrow.
Old 2008-03-04, 8:49pm
Virginia.

great you tube video - can't wait to try it - v

If you have a chance, choose to dance!! If you are sick - stay home - you too can personally start a Pandemic!!! - Virginia

Old 2008-03-07, 5:20pm

Yellow Dog Girl,

I would love to know how you created the baleen beads. They look great.

Minor with tanked oxygen.
Old 2008-03-08, 11:07am

Default Baleen Bead Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Yes, I would love to know. I have wanted to know for a while. I haven't been fortunate enough to take a class from Michael Barley but I would love to. I've tried many things to get the affect but haven't been successful. I often wonder why so many people that have taken his class haven't shared this technique. I would really love to know. I have asked people as nicely as possible that have had his class and each one has politely told me that they don't want to share. That is okay. I do understand but if you have managed to figure it out, I would really love to know. I would really appreciate it.
They haven't told you because it wouldn't be fair to Michael Barley to give away his techniques that he makes a living by teaching others. He's a really nice guy and great teacher and you will learn a lot from him if you ever get a chance to take one of his classes. It is well worth the money.

Bullet with 2 15lp oxycons
Old 2008-03-08, 12:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanette Marie View Post
They haven't told you because it wouldn't be fair to Michael Barley to give away his techniques that he makes a living by teaching others. He's a really nice guy and great teacher and you will learn a lot from him if you ever get a chance to take one of his classes. It is well worth the money.
Yes, out of respect for the man and his art.

Vanessa
Old 2008-03-09, 9:34pm

Question, do ya'll use a ribbon cane that is cased with clear, then case the bead with clear or a cane without a clear casing?

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-03-10, 8:41am
Dangerous Woman

Call me dense, but I'm not sure exactly what kind of cane to use for one of these beads. Could someone nice post a picture of the type of cane used for these pleated beads? If you could put something like a dime in the picture to give it perspective that would be wonderful.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-03-10, 10:09am
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

I use a tight twisty similar to the Kimberly Affleck Seahorse twisty tutorial posted here on LE. That way the pleats are nice & thin.

Kelly

Old 2008-03-10, 12:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Question, do ya'll use a ribbon cane that is cased with clear, then case the bead with clear or a cane without a clear casing?
The way I understand it you use a cane that has no clear casing. I played around with a few ideas this weekend. My beads were way ugly but I think I am getting the hang of it.

Minor with tanked oxygen.
Old 2008-03-10, 1:25pm
Detail G-Mama!

I didn't use a cased twisty for this one, I just used a bunch of different colors on top transparents. Oops forgot the pics!
Attached Images

Old 2008-03-10, 1:48pm
Dangerous Woman

No offense Anne but that isn't what I think of when I think of a pleated bead. Your bead is beautiful! But I thought pleated beads looked more, I don't know pleated? Kinda like they have "space" between the pleats? Does that make any sense?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-03-10, 1:50pm
Detail G-Mama!

Yep, I know, this one just got stretched out too thin to where the transparent part got swallowed up by the opaque part.

Old 2008-03-10, 7:57pm

Yeah, I get that but I haven't taken a class from a teacher ever that has said not to tell the techniques. It seems to be a general thing that if you teach it in a class, the information is out there. If he doesn't want it told, I get that. It is fine with me. If he doesn't want me to know, I don't want to know. I would be happy to take his class if he ever came anywhere close to where I live.

I am not trying to steal anyone's art.

I also can tell when I see a bead by anyone that has taken his class. It is so obvious when someone has had his class. I guess it is okay to use his techniques if you've had his class. It isn't for me to say if that is respectful to him or not. I am certainly not trying to learn to copy anyone or their techniques. I am sre he is a wonderful man and teacher. I just wish I could take his class but I know it will likely never happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanette Marie View Post

Last edited by Rachel; 2008-03-10 at 7:59pm.
Old 2008-03-10, 11:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rguttierrez View Post
The way I understand it you use a cane that has no clear casing. I played around with a few ideas this weekend. My beads were way ugly but I think I am getting the hang of it.
Thanks

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-03-11, 6:04am

Rachel....I thought you were not suppose to share a techniqe you learn in a class too. In fact I refused to share Larry's nite sky bead when asked. Then I had a long conversation with Pam Dugger who said once you pay for her class you can share with anyone you want. It is information you paid for and is yours to do what you please. The only thing every teacher has said is to go home and try to do your own thing with the information you've been given. So there ya go. It is confusing. In fact all this stuff about the pleated bead you should have to buy the TondoDama book by these rules, right. LOL
Old 2008-03-11, 8:53am
passionate about pets

lara - if pleated beads are twisty beads....then what is your idea of a pleated bead?

but i am still unsure on the thickness of the cane.

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

Old 2008-03-11, 9:47am
speed winding is a sport.

ditto on the michael barley class...he is just awesome! you will learn soooo much if you can ever take a class from him. major intensity, too!! he really WANTS you to "get" it.

Old 2008-03-11, 2:14pm

I think that the descriptions of how these "Pleated Beads" are made in this thread should be enough for someone to make one. If not, then maybe one should get the book that explains it.
I had not seen one of these Pleated beads before I tried making one last tuesday. I read this thread and thought it would be fun to try.
I showed this in one of last weeks Gallery showcases.
Here's my version , its about 3" long which started from a 1/8" thick twistie: