No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-07-04, 10:57am
tweetysweetie

Default use of flashback arrestors

I read somewhere, or was told (sorry, suffering from C.R.S. right now) that flashback arrestors are not needed when using surface mix torches, but they're a necessity when using pre-mixes....does anyone know if this is true, and why do/don't you agree with this line of thinking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-07-04, 12:54pm
Gentleman of Leisure

A flash back arrester should be uses on any torch.... However, the chances of a flash back with surface mix torch is probably a 1000 times less likely to happen than with a premix torch. So to say that it is not necessary is not completely true... But you can operate a surface mix torch completely safe without it. No statement is not contradictory...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-07-04, 12:54pm
boro color bender

I've heard the same thing... I've even run a premix without them when I started... I'm still here, thank god! I have them on my sytem just because it's peace of mind for me. I don't run any premixes on my system right now, but better safe than sorry as far as I'm concerned. They really aren't a huge expense... much cheaper than bribing Saint Peter to let you turn around and come back- LOL

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-07-04, 3:30pm
Life in the slow lane

I also learned they were not necessary but DH purchased one and installed it just to be on the safe side. He would rather have me around most of the time.