LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2006-07-09, 2:34pm

Default Frit-Stringer tutorial

Well, I've gone throught the tutorials and no-one seems to have used this method for fancy stringer.

Use a rod of pale, opaque color. Larger diameter rods are best for this, or build up a large glob of molten glass to work with.

Pick a frit, anything compatible, that you think would look like a nice bunch of flowers (or leaves, or ocean waves, clouds in the sky, whatever)

Roll the molten glob in the frit, cover it completely, melt it in really well. Repeat this step several times, until you can't see, or just barely, the base color of the rod.

Pull your stringer just like any other single color stringer rod. No need to line up or worry about pulling straight or twisting. Just pull like a simple stringer. As thick or as thin as you like. You have to play with the end results to see what you like to work with.

I call this frit-stringer and I often use it to make flower petals and leaves. You can actually apply frit to any color base rod and melt it in. I've even used thompson series 9000 enamels a few times to make glass colors that don't exist.

So, my challenge to you is lets see what you can do with this.
Attached Images

BoniBell

Last edited by BoniBell; 2006-07-14 at 10:55am.
Old 2006-07-09, 2:45pm

Do you ever worry about incompatibility? Or do you just use compatible glass? It's my guess that if you used that much frit with moretti, lauscha or vetrofond, you might run into problems of cracked beads.

Thanks,
Rose

Last edited by Rose; 2006-07-09 at 5:18pm.
Old 2006-07-09, 7:18pm

I was having some trouble with cracking in my beads especially when the whole bead was covered in frit. I asked some questions, did some investigating and testing. It probably was my frit, so I had to bite the bullet and throw some of my frit mixes away.

Now I only use Effetre and Vetrofond in the frit blends. I do have a few Lauscha only blends, which I keep for the Lauscha glass. I keep them in different containers, carefully marked, so I don't mix them up.

Still, you are correct, you should always use compatible glass. When I said pick any frit, I did not intend mean mixing COE's. My intention was to encourage bold color combinations and experimentation among compatible products.

BoniBell

Last edited by BoniBell; 2006-07-14 at 4:03pm.
Old 2006-07-09, 7:30pm
Um......

Thanks for the tip!
Do you have any pics of your beads with these frit stringer flowers? I'm interested to see what they look like, and I can't picture it in my head!
Thx!
Old 2006-07-09, 8:00pm

If I could figure out the macro on my camera, I would have pictures. I'll keep trying.

BoniBell
Old 2006-07-14, 10:32am

I watched a tutorial on making a camera tri-pod. My pictures have gotten better, though the camera is still not top notch. Neither are my pictures. Still, this should give you some ideas of what can be done.
Attached Images

BoniBell

Last edited by BoniBell; 2006-07-14 at 10:56am.
Old 2006-07-14, 10:39am

There is quite a lot of variation available with this method. Some are more subtle than others. My kiln is being repaired so everyting is still on the mandrel. Some of the colors may change a bit more after annealing.

The ones with red and black were melted onto a large diameter white rod, and more of the rod shows up. The ones with pink and purple were done on a standard white Effetre rod and an angel pink vetrofond rod. The pink barely shows any shades. I'm still working on that one. The colors in the frit blend may have too little contrast.

Myself, I particularly like the leaves and I'm playing with the idea of some autumn falling leaves or trees.
Attached Images

BoniBell

Last edited by BoniBell; 2006-07-14 at 10:42am.