LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-08-25, 1:01pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Talking Poopy Loopy Tutty...........

From my bear pendant tut.... and an AHA moment the other day while watching the DVD's by Smircich.... (so give him credit, as it's not my info entirely)

1. get good insurance heat to keep from breaking pendant when making loop
2. working QUICKLY in the last steps: hold onto pendant with either a punty or flat mashers and melt rod off about 1/2 inch or so from top of pendant
3. round out top bumpie and smash with mashers with the little lolly part going the way you want the loopy to lay... ie imagine the lolly with a hole in it and that's what it should look like when we are done here)
4. cut in half with trusty kindergarden scissors
5. using a spare mandrel, heat cut area and round out indent from the V shape it is when you cut it to a U shape (this is the trick!)
6. grab insurance heat again for your piece....
7. then heat, nudge, and bring together the tops of the (now) 2 bumpie/nubbies into a loop and polish together
8. hold loop with either a mandrel or tweezers, and get good insurance heat over all piece...
9. kiln that baby and wait til morning!!!

As Smiley said in another thread, there are many ways to make loops and I did take the title of this tut from that thread (hope for no hard feelings, the title just sounded too cute!)

This just is how/where my AHA moment came into play and I want to share it with others b/c other tut's have brought me so far in the past!!!

happy loopy makey....

stac

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-08-26, 5:51am

Default AHA Moment!!!!

Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you .... I am sitting there having a coffee, trying to get the cobwebs out and I think to myself that I should check-out LE, so coffee in hand, I checkout what is going on before I finish getting dressed ... read the tutorial and said OMG .. that is so cool!!! So I rush out to the garage studio and give it a shot ... IT WORKS, I have the coolest, cutest little loop!! ... of course it is attached to a bead, on a mandrel, so I now have a bead with two holes in it!!!

As I am sitting there thinking of the design possibilities for a bead with two holes going different directions ... I look down and realize ... I am in shoes (for the studio), jeans, and .... my bra ... that's it ....

I am out in my garage (with the door open for make-up air) at 7:30 am in my bra ... hmmm the strange things we do for the mistress called Glass!!!

"Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. That's why there's us. -- Champions --
It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference.
We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." -- Words of Truth from Angel
Old 2005-08-26, 7:03am
Metallic Flame Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne - GOC
Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you .... I am sitting there having a coffee, trying to get the cobwebs out and I think to myself that I should check-out LE, so coffee in hand, I checkout what is going on before I finish getting dressed ... read the tutorial and said OMG .. that is so cool!!! So I rush out to the garage studio and give it a shot ... IT WORKS, I have the coolest, cutest little loop!! ... of course it is attached to a bead, on a mandrel, so I now have a bead with two holes in it!!!

As I am sitting there thinking of the design possibilities for a bead with two holes going different directions ... I look down and realize ... I am in shoes (for the studio), jeans, and .... my bra ... that's it ....

I am out in my garage (with the door open for make-up air) at 7:30 am in my bra ... hmmm the strange things we do for the mistress called Glass!!!
Corinne....

LMAO at myself (ok, and maybe your situation) b/c I can easily see myself doing the EXACT same thing!~!!!!!!!

......... and I'm tickled that someone else found the lightbulb like me!!!!!

those damn loops evaded me for a year and a half before now!!!!!

stac

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004

Old 2005-08-26, 9:53am
Yup.

Thanks!!!!!!!! You have no idea how timely this is for me! I'm just starting to try implosions in boro and since marbles are too hard for me, I'm trying to work them into pendants. But the loops suck. So gonna try this first thing!

~
~
Old 2006-01-09, 8:50pm
Insane? You're Insane!

I have not been doing glass very long at all. I have a method that may be elementary.... I make a small bead on a mandrel and when it is a nice shape, I stick it to the pendant. Keep in mind that my first one had the hole facing the wrong way, so did numbers 7 and 10. Sometimes I just get too excited.
Old 2006-01-09, 11:16pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHerrellGlass
Thanks!!!!!!!! You have no idea how timely this is for me! I'm just starting to try implosions in boro and since marbles are too hard for me, I'm trying to work them into pendants. But the loops suck. So gonna try this first thing!
Hey WI girl,

did you ever get to try this???

I'm curious how it went and if you are still using it on your pendants???

Are you not just SUPER excited about this weekend, or what? I'm DYING about having to WORK 4 more days before playing!!!!!

Stac

Old 2006-01-10, 3:30pm
Beads for Brains

OK... forgive me, but anybody got a picture of this?
Thanks!
Barb
Old 2006-05-19, 8:06pm

me too..]

Facebook

Blogger
Old 2006-05-19, 8:21pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Visual learner here....got pics???