LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2007-12-14, 10:25pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

Default How do you make....

This is driving me crazy. I love these and don't know how to make them. Does anyone know how to make or where to buy these canes or whatever they are? Thanks.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cabaribeads; 2007-12-14 at 10:29pm.
Old 2007-12-15, 12:33am
Burn baby, burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricia'sglass View Post
This is driving me crazy. I love these and don't know how to make them. Does anyone know how to make or where to buy these canes or whatever they are? Thanks.
I think they're made with optic molds - someone will hopefully pop in with the details, but it's the many-starred/sided ones, you smoosh a gather in them, then fill the grooves with the other color, perform that old lampworker magic, and pull it into a cane.

Right?
Old 2007-12-15, 2:06am
Gravity is at 6 o'clock

there's even easier than optic molds!

pick a rod of glass for your "base" color- that's what the "triangles" will be.

pick another color for the stripes.

now you have several options, that will give you different looks. play and experiment! you get different looks the way you stripe your glass, but also the way the colors "behave", and i believe the hand of the artist has a role too

so here goes:

my favorite is to pull stringers of the colors i chose for the stripes, heat the rod of the base color, stripe the stringer on it (about 1"), and pull.

you can also-

* make a barrel from the base color so that you can fit more stripes on it/get more cane out of it
* use a rod to stripe instead of stringer to get thicker stripes/or just because you might prefer working with a rod than with a stringer
* you can also use a mandrel for holding the whole thing rather than the base rod- just take a short piece of the glass you chose for base color, heat the tip a little, heat the tip of the mandrel to glowing orange, and stick it in- as deep as the mandrel is wide is just enough (tip courtesy of drew fritt's book), but don't forget to flash the joint in the flame from time to time while you work because if the joint gets cold your glass will just fall off the mandrel! using a mandrel might make it easier for you when it's time to pull, but it's all personal, you have to experiment and see what you're most comfortable with.
* you can pull with a mandrel or with tweezers, i usually pull with tweezers the way i do with regular stringers, but if i want to twist it then i use a mandrel so that i can twist with both hands.

now, as for the pulling- you want to pull thicker than a stringer, or your stripes will be so thin they practically dissapear! again, the thickness you aim for depends on several things-

* how much glass you had to begin with
* how big you want the stars to be (which might also be related to the size of your beads but not necesarily, it's a question of style mostly, i believe)
* how you're going to use your cane
* just how you like it

now- how *do* you use that cane?

there are 2 ways that i can think of, if there are more i'm sure people will chime in and add them

if your cane is thick enough (again, it's personal. i'm sure there are people who call "thick enough" canes that i would think are way too thin ), you can cut it into slices. you want the slices to be thick enough so that you can actually see the stripes on them.

or- you can simply use the cane (which is how i like to do it ).

how do you use the slices? you heat the spot on the bead where you want your star, pick the slice with your tweezers and flash it through the back flame for a moment to heat it a little (it's so small you really don't need to spend time on it usually, make sure you don't spend too much time so that it starts to melt and sticks to your tweezers!!! ). then you place your slice there. now comes the step of transforming your stripes into the star! you just heat the slice, and poke its center! the poking draws the lines to the center, to create the star!

you can leave it poked, you can add a dot on the center, you can cover it with clear to trap a bubble where you poked, you can heat it until the poke is gone and leave it this way, or heat it and then cover with a dot or clear, etc...

and how do you do it if you use the cane?

here's the way i do it- i heat the spot on the bead where i'm going to place my star, heat the tip of the cane, i touch the bead with the cane while pushing it, then i quickly pull back out, and melt it off. the pushing helps you get the width of the star (rather than a tiny rounded blob) without having to melt it too much, and it also helps you make sure it's stuck to the bead without having to melt it too much. you have to quickly pull back out so that the stripes are drawn to the center, otherwise they'll only go half way there. it depends on how fast you like to do it, the result you're going for (you might want that for your design!), the viscosity of your base color, etc...

now you can melt that protruding tip flush, i usually heat it, squish the star flat, then poke the center a little even though the stripes are usually already in the center.

the reason i prefer working with the cane directly than cutting slices is that i feel it allows me to make much smaller stars, and it also saves some steps

ok, lots of words and no pictures, i hope everything i wrote makes sense...

if you have any questions- just ask!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I
NY

Last edited by meitali; 2007-12-15 at 9:17am.
Old 2007-12-15, 9:12am
Sparkle Strumpet

Absolutely excellent explanation....I was going to answer, then I read your post and you've done a perfect job.....more than I'd have taken the time to do.

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2007-12-15, 10:06am

Wow...I love the beads! Whose are they? I'd love to look at more of the artist's (artists'?) work!

Thanks,

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2007-12-15, 11:46am
Gravity is at 6 o'clock

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=10

that's one, i don't know about the other one.

I
NY
Old 2007-12-15, 2:41pm

Thanks so much for the answer. I will have to practice now that I know how to do it. I'm not sure who made the blue beads but I love them! Maybe whoever made them will happen on this thread and let us know.

Old 2007-12-15, 3:37pm
Rare Florida Native

Thanks for the excellent instructions.

Old 2007-12-15, 7:46pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by meitali View Post
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=10

that's one, i don't know about the other one.
Thanks Meitali! Melissa, if you're reading: gorgeous beads!!!

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2007-12-15, 11:36pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Here's a tutorial on how to make those.
http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/minimurrini.php

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-12-15, 11:52pm
You talkin to me?

Thank you Janice!! That is very nice of you!

I did those starbursts by melting a big blob of raku and then scoring symmetrical lines all around the blob. You then lay black stringer in each score line, and melt smooth. Once you have it all in a nice ball again, pull it out into a straight stringer. (just like vine stringer-if you're familiar with that) Once you have the stringer pulled, snip off 1/8th little pieces of the ends. Lay those aside, and once you know where you want it on your bead, heat that area of the bead, heat the little piece (using your tweezer), then plunk it down, heat it to a tiny little dome, and poke the center to draw all the lines together. With the raku, I blobbed a little ball of clear over the top and it brought out the pretty colors raku can turn to. Even better yet, it magnified them too! Very easy and very fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice View Post
Thanks Meitali! Melissa, if you're reading: gorgeous beads!!!

J.

I work on a Minor burner, with an oxy-con and household natural gas
Old 2007-12-16, 2:46am
Gravity is at 6 o'clock

thanks karen for posting this! actually one with pictures!!!

I
NY
Old 2007-12-16, 10:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by melzip View Post
Thank you Janice!! That is very nice of you!

I did those starbursts by melting a big blob of raku and then scoring symmetrical lines all around the blob. You then lay black stringer in each score line, and melt smooth. Once you have it all in a nice ball again, pull it out into a straight stringer. (just like vine stringer-if you're familiar with that) Once you have the stringer pulled, snip off 1/8th little pieces of the ends. Lay those aside, and once you know where you want it on your bead, heat that area of the bead, heat the little piece (using your tweezer), then plunk it down, heat it to a tiny little dome, and poke the center to draw all the lines together. With the raku, I blobbed a little ball of clear over the top and it brought out the pretty colors raku can turn to. Even better yet, it magnified them too! Very easy and very fun.
Thank you ,Melissa. I LOVE your beads!

Old 2007-12-16, 3:12pm
Isinglass Design

What a lot of information. Thanks so much. This reminds me- a few days ago, I heard some beadmakers talking to a customer about how a bead was made- she knew a little, but when they used the word 'murrini', they lost her. We need to remember that the general population has no clue what we're talking about when we use tech. terms.

Laurie
Old 2007-12-16, 5:08pm
Gravity is at 6 o'clock

that's true, and sometimes we need to remember we might loose them simply when we show them a bead made with ivory glass (or most of opaques actually, not to mention etched opaques!!!) and insist this is glass!!! those who don't "get it" will usually still not get it until they actually hear "glass comes in many colors, some are opaque, ivory is one of them"...

but it's like someone talked to us about brain surgery, right? they'd lose us right at "... then you pick up the scalpel-"...

I
NY