Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2010-03-07, 6:03am

Default How Quilters are Supporting Beads of Courage!

Beads of Bravery: Local quilter's creations encourage young cancer ...
About three months ago, Hammock began sewing cloth bags for a special cause, “ Beads of Courage,” a program helping children across the United States with ...

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-07, 2:25pm

I just sent the link to one of my sisters. She sews so well, I would love to team up with her and make beads for her bags if she likes the idea, and donate them to BOC.
Old 2010-03-07, 6:53pm

Quote:
I just sent the link to one of my sisters. She sews so well, I would love to team up with her and make beads for her bags if she likes the idea, and donate them to BOC.
Just have her contact me if she is interested, we have all the instructions on the website and can send her a sample if needed. We also are having the patches with the logo made to go on the bag as well. Kids love these as most of them keep their beads in a shoebox or tupperware, thanks! beads of Courage
Old 2010-03-09, 4:18am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I would love the dimensions. I have quite a stash of kids fabrics in bright colors. I used to make the 48x 60 quilts to cover isolettes for my local hospital, now I quilt with a prayers and squares group. My group is hard pressed to keep quilts on our shelves for the commitments we have, but I might be able to make a few bead bags on my own, or see if other guild members might like to make some too.

On another note... I did send a quilt last week to Connor in Texas... He has his heart surgery TODAY.. His mom has posted here in the forums about his participation in the BOC program and I just felt the little guy needed a prayer quilt. She said she will send him off to the OR wrapped in all the prayers said just for him.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-03-09, 1:58pm
Obsessed Blogger

Here is the link to the Beads of Courage site where the bag dimensions and instructions are:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Make sure you show us what you come up with! We love pictures here!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-10, 5:25am
Run Free Sweet Boy

hmmmmmmmmm I read the directions.. I may have a faster, simpler and a way that uses less fabric as well. I make pillow cases using french seams.. let me do some thinking and fiddling next time I sit and sew and see what I come up with....If I find an easy way I will send a sample and directions.
Meanwhile it might be nice to add the directions for this bag to the tutorial section in the stickies here on LE.

Candice

Old 2010-03-10, 5:51am
Detail G-Mama!

I printed off the instructions yesterday for the bags! I've got to get my stash down and this will be the perfect way to do it!

Old 2010-03-10, 9:00am

Sadly, my sister wrote back and said since they bought their new home (which is good), she can't afford to buy material appropriate for kids' bags.

I looked at the instructions yesterday and now I know why I want to make beads and let someone else make the bags.

But, I really do like to sew if it is simple enough and, Candice, if you come up with something easier, let me know and I will see if I can make some of these bags and fill them up with beads and send them in
Old 2010-03-10, 12:12pm
Obsessed Blogger

That would be great Candice! Just like with all of the bead tutorials, it's always good to have more ways to do things. I so wish I knew how to sew!! But then again, maybe it's a good thing that I don't...I can't even keep up with what I currently know how to do!

Can't wait to see what you come up with Anne!

Old 2010-03-10, 12:55pm
Carol Bouler Owens

Awesome! There is also a quilt challenge for St. Judes each year!! I really enjoyed the article!! There is a lot of love and prayers heading for the kids!!
Old 2010-03-10, 3:22pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

I am really over loaded with stuff for the next month, and my health isnt so hot at the moment either... but I talked to Colin on the phone today( about other BOC stuff), and she is sending me a bag as a sample. And my first grandchilds baby shower is in a week and a half and I have YET to touch any of the fabric for his stuff yet. bit IF I get time I will make bag soon and try to take pics of the process as I go and make a tutorial for the fabric challenged. it sounds more complicated than it is, and there has to be an easy way to do it for those without a serger as well.

Prod me with a PM if you dont hear anything in about 2 weeks... I give you permission

Candice

Old 2010-03-10, 3:25pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

oh.. when I talked to colin today they really wanted the double fabric, because they wanted the bags to realy protect the beads, so my idea, using the way I make pillow cases with french seams isnt going to work..... but my quilt group tosses lots of small sections of quilt batting away, so I may be able to figure a way to use that up, save it from the dumpster and use it tom pad bags for the kiddos.

Candice

Last edited by patienthand; 2010-03-10 at 6:04pm.
Old 2010-03-10, 4:22pm
Obsessed Blogger

Candice, I don't doubt that you will be able to stay away from making these bags for very long. You sound so excited that you're fighting yourself NOT to make one (or more).

You know, sometimes you just gotta sit down and do it so it doesn't keep preoccupying your thoughts and distracting you from what you need to be doing.

Old 2010-03-21, 4:21pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

WOO HOO!!!

Colin was so sweet and sent me a sample bead bag to show The Florida Glass Dragons Guild. I took it to our monthly meeting today and it was a hit. We have a bead bag work day planned for our June meeting. Those of us with machines will bring them. I will bring irons and ironing boards, and precut the squares for the bags before the work day. Those of us who sew will do that and the non sewers can press, turn bags, and put the cords in. I have a big stash of children's fabrics, and bright colors that I will donate to the cause. We are hoping to get enough made to supply the hospital we sponsor for the whole year,, and maybe more to send into the home office.

I am throwing down the gauntlet and challenging other guilds to do the same thing, and make bags for the kids.

Candice King-Palgut

Old 2010-03-22, 3:54am

perhaps you guys could add in button holes for the cords to go through, as one option? I may start making these, too. I've actually got probably 500 handmade, unlined bags from pretty fabrics, but I see the reasoning for lining them.
Old 2010-03-22, 9:32pm
Obsessed Blogger

How exciting!!! Work it girl!

Old 2010-04-04, 3:44pm
Texas Art Angel

Oh a throw down. Let me see what our group might be able to do. I don"t really know if we have any people that sew but we'll see what we can do.
Quote:
WOO HOO!!!

Colin was so sweet and sent me a sample bead bag to show The Florida Glass Dragons Guild. I took it to our monthly meeting today and it was a hit. We have a bead bag work day planned for our June meeting. Those of us with machines will bring them. I will bring irons and ironing boards, and precut the squares for the bags before the work day. Those of us who sew will do that and the non sewers can press, turn bags, and put the cords in. I have a big stash of children's fabrics, and bright colors that I will donate to the cause. We are hoping to get enough made to supply the hospital we sponsor for the whole year,, and maybe more to send into the home office.

I am throwing down the gauntlet and challenging other guilds to do the same thing, and make bags for the kids.

Candice King-Palgut