Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Old 2013-06-28, 2:50pm
Evil Glass Enabler

YUM! Love it, Dave. I'll make you a deal. If it EVER drops back out of the triple digits here I'll attempt to make one. I've only been in the glass building long enough to take in labeled glass and GTH out before I roast like a suckling pig. Angelique

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2013-06-28, 3:08pm

Hey Brian,
I also have a Bravo,and an M20, plus an M15. I have all the power I need to work that torch. I love that torch.
Please no man-o-war in the sock drawer. I hate when that happens!
Dave
Old 2013-06-28, 6:11pm
Flamewoman

LOve your Jellies, please keep posting, or if you want to branch out there is the floral compression and marble thread, would love to see you do some florals as well. Your control is obviously getting better, I see a steady progression in the appearance of your jelly fish, each one nicer than the last. Very good job Dave.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-07-01, 7:28pm
Lava Maker

OK I did some jellies. Too cool not to try. I did two different methods given in this post. I really don't remember which is which. I used Amber Purple blended and Silver tan.

The two on the bottom were flattened when I put them back to strike and I put it WAY too hot, so I made them into pendents.

Ann DeHoff
Old 2013-07-01, 8:42pm
Flamewoman

Uhh...you got your kiln hot enough to flatten boro? Whoa......that be hot.
Jellie's are fun to make, and hard to stop making. Thanks for posting Ann!
Yer Jellies are cute!

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-07-08, 8:17am

Default Thank you for the jelly tips

Thank you all so much for sharing. I'm a boro rookie and this is my first jelly fish marble... There aren't any boro teachers in my area, so I rely on videos, tutorials, and the kindness of those on this forum to learn new techniques. I'm so happy with the results (it's really round and no scuzz). Now, if I could only get the colors to strike.
Old 2013-07-15, 8:26am

Default NS Yellow Strike jelly

Thanks for taking a look.
Dave
Attached Images

Old 2013-07-15, 12:22pm
Phragile Glasswerks

Hello everyone! I dont say much but thought it was time to show a lil bit of my work. Cool thing is i found a thread with a bunch of jellyfish heads like my self so here it goes hope yall like.
Old 2013-07-15, 12:27pm
Phragile Glasswerks

A couple of more . Thanx for looking
Old 2013-07-15, 12:45pm

What color is that dlando1? Looks like dragons eye?

Chuck
Old 2013-07-15, 1:18pm

The cap is North Star Striking Yellow, the tentacles are made with Blue lighting.
Old 2013-07-15, 1:45pm
Phragile Glasswerks

Hey dlando quick question. How do u get your clear bails on pendants . I use Peter tweezers and my pick but never seem to get them that clean lookin. Thanks

PS or do u have a tech to clean the hole out?
Old 2013-07-15, 2:08pm

Hey PhatPat,
I use Peter tweezers, and bore it out w/ a graduated reamer. I get mostly clear bails, but there is still some funky stuff on them. Clear glass seem to show blemishes less, but there is still some on it.
Dave
Old 2013-07-15, 2:15pm
Phragile Glasswerks

Koo thanx for replying I guess I have to do it better. Love your jellies ! Thanks again!
Old 2013-07-16, 6:39pm

Default Opal jelly

I put an opal in the jelly cap, along w/ a giant air bubble( on purpose of course).

I really like this NS yellow strike. Adding opal's are another learning curve incline to experience. Thanks for taking a look.
Dave
Attached Images

Old 2013-07-17, 5:54am

Lovin all the newest Jellies!! Marianne ... stellar marble ... love the double tentacle technique.

I haven't played with boro or jellies recently. About time for me to switch to Fall/Winter show mode.

Old 2013-07-17, 7:03am
Flamewoman

Oh Jeesh, I am going to have to do a thread on bail construction for you all. I never use peters tweezers or any tweezsers for bails. Try this:
Decide where you want bail and put a dot of clear there, then if it is where you wanted it, add a length of glass to that dot, enough for a decent bail. leave it hanging.
then go to the back side of where bail will attach and add a bigger dot of clear for a landing pad for the front of your bail. then heat the hanging bail glass, bend it so it touches the dot on back. Then heat and manipulate the bail, using your reamer to round it up, you will not have a bit of scum or anything, just a nice bail, perfectly in the center and even. Please look at the bails on my floral thread pieces, I think they demonstrate what I am doing pretty well. When I do get a chance, I will do a thread on this. I like to use black for most bails, but usually use clear on Jellies. Jet black is stiffer, and easier to learn how to get a good bail. You need a paddle tweezer, and a brass reamer.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-07-17, 8:45am
Phragile Glasswerks

Thanks for the tip Mary ! When i first started out I tried this tech out but was not very good at it . I started using the tweezers and reamer bcuz i did mostly black bails, but i agree with u on having clear bails on jellies thats why now im looking for a new way so i jus have to practice more. Thanks again Mary !
Old 2013-07-18, 7:27am

Had to get in on the fun! Thanks for the inspiration
Old 2013-07-18, 8:24am
Lava Maker

Cool, I like the colors of the two on the right.

Ann DeHoff
Old 2013-07-18, 8:49am

^ Thanks, I believe the caps are Momka Blue Reflection with a little wrap of NS 105 Silver Creek
Old 2013-07-18, 8:59am
Phragile Glasswerks

Here is another jelly this time i used Mary's advice for my bail came out nice. Im taking pictures with my iPhone so hard to get a good angle but thanks for looking!

:
Old 2013-07-18, 7:57pm
Flamewoman

Do you have a reamer?
http://www.dichroicimagery.com/produ...roducts_id=987
This is a good reamer for pendant work. I have the large one too, I started
buying metal reamers when I realized that if you drop a graphite one, you are done.
I really think that a bail should at least be 6 - 8 mm for most chains or cords to fit thru. Your bail looks perfect my dear, but me, I would stick a reamer in that and open it up a tad.
Here is something else about adding bails, and the way you manupulate the glass. When you add the glass, you really want to heat it where it joins while you are shaping the bail, and give it a tug, even if you are going to let the glass settle back into place. This aligns the molecules/structure of glass so that it really blends and becomes part of the piece, not just something added on that can easily be broken off. I am not sure how to explain this right, but I know that a good bail, put on right, is a lot harder to break than one that is just barely sitting on the piece. Reaming and stretching the bail a bit while you are making it, then letting it shrink back down does a good job of settling the bail on the piece. I'm not sayin' make it big as a quarter and then heat it, just a bit, just a bit.

PLEASE like my page!

Last edited by Mary K; 2013-07-18 at 8:00pm.
Old 2013-07-18, 8:21pm
Phragile Glasswerks

Hi Mary!
I do have a few different sizes reamers . Here is a side shot. I really like the way it came out this was my first go at it again i think the dot placement is what really helps. I really appreciate your advice as for the first one im really happy with results . Im gettin a tank filled tomorrow so ill be working all weekend. Thanks again Mary .

Old 2013-07-19, 7:12am

Gorgeous jellyfish in here! I had a go at a couple of mushroom-technique soft glass ones recently (not enough oxy at present for boro!). We made boro ones on a course with Jennifer Umphress.

Here they are, if you'll excuse soft glass in the boro room! I have some boro sitting around waiting for me to do oxycon maintenance and buy another one.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-07-23, 8:07pm
Flamewoman

Default Fresh Fish

These are whimsical Jelly fish.

This one has great bubbles.

I hope I can stop. This is just 2 out of about 12 I have made in
the last few days.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-07-24, 8:16am
Phragile Glasswerks

Nice Mary ! I really like the tentacles on the first one.
Old 2013-07-24, 8:16pm
Flamewoman

Default More Jellyfish

I saw a show on TV about Jellyfish, how they feed etc. The ones on the film
were mostly white, so that is what I am experimenting with.

Wish I could take a better picture, these have sparkle to them,
& they are very feathery.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-07-25, 1:36am

Mary those look great! What colors did you use for the cap and tentacles? Do you get Glass Line magazine? There is an article on Jellyfish pendants. MauiG also has a great article on kiln striking.(Aug/sept. issue) Again, great jellies.
Dave
Old 2013-07-25, 7:50am
Flamewoman

Dave the tentacles are china white, I think I did put in a few dots of some silver glass - silver creek or ?,the twisty I make for the edge of the jelly is china white and clear, the caps are some glow glass I had laying around, I used it because it is translucent & whitish. After I got the cap on I dipped it in small size purple luster frit, one dip and then one more dip in fine paparazzi frit. Another one (not pictured) that I did that turned out well had a cap of magic mirror, dipped in frit same way. I do not presently get glass line mag, wish I did. May have to re up my subcription. Thanks for comment.

PLEASE like my page!

Last edited by Mary K; 2013-07-25 at 7:52am.