Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-10, 8:37am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
I wonder how a SIS would do on it. I bet it has a great reaction!
Perhaps I'll give it a try sometime.
Old 2011-05-10, 11:08am

Thanks,Shrimp! I love both.I was just curious because my misty green stayed the same after annealing and other some other peoples didn't.I do love that"marbled ivory look"..wonder what I will get when I can get some of the midnight misty in the next shipment?I still have the SOP Misty white to try..at least I think its misty white..lol..old timers disease....
"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-13, 7:10am

Just incase anyone was wondering what the bi-color rods came out like. This is aqua and white. Not too shocky, but they get a weird matte finish with preheating that does not translate to the finished bead.

Old 2011-05-13, 7:17am
GlassDocNC

I like the bicolors too!
Old 2011-05-13, 7:18am
StudioMarcy

very ocean looking and so pretty. would love to see that with little twists in it to make waves too! Thanks for showing us. I didn't know what it would look like and now I know I really like it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-05-13, 7:53am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi Bead Core Dyes

Shrimp & Redayh - your work is just beautiful - please post more!

I have been playing with the Bead Core Dyes, and using the Zentangle doodling style of decorating using the Intense Black pulled into a thin stringer. These beads have had their final inner coating and are on their sides to dry.

This one was made with a thin wrap of SOP Orange for the core, not Dye. I'm thinking if I pull stringer from clear rods instead of using the regular clear stringer I would get fewer tiny bubbles... has anyone tried that yet?
Old 2011-05-13, 5:29pm
And silence is golden

redayh, those are gorgeous! I have found some of the colors do that matte thing, I just keep wafting them through the flame until the matting turns shiny again.

Kristina, those are so cool looking!
Old 2011-05-13, 8:35pm

Kristina,I have done this with Bullseye and it works so effortlessly.I make a bead and instead of trying to encase..I roll it in BE clear frit and melt it in..doing this as many times as I want since its the same COE..I have put up to 7 or 8 coats of clear and had no bubbles whatsoever.I don't have any of the Devardi clear frit but plan on getting some and trying it.I suck at encasing any other way.
"

Old 2011-05-13, 8:46pm

Redayh..that is such a beautiful blend of blues!
My husband surprised me today when he commuted down for the weekend by bringing all my Mini CC torch and oxybox and barbeque tank and set it up for me in my new studio at our retirement place.I have been struggling with a HH that I have only really used for stringers and have not had much luck with beads..I'm just not familiar with it although I can see there is potential in having and using both.I was so excited to get my torch area set up and making a few beads tonight. I need more lighting and don't have my glass storage worked out yet..no shelving or anything so working out of boxes of supplies but thats no biggie.Woohoo! It was so quiet I thought the torch wasn't working..lol..but it was.
"

Old 2011-05-14, 4:02am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareripes View Post
Kristina,I have done this with Bullseye and it works so effortlessly.I make a bead and instead of trying to encase..I roll it in BE clear frit and melt it in..doing this as many times as I want since its the same COE..I have put up to 7 or 8 coats of clear and had no bubbles whatsoever.I don't have any of the Devardi clear frit but plan on getting some and trying it.I suck at encasing any other way.
Thank you Diana! I have played with Devardi's clear frit to cover colors that might devit if I worked them to long in the heat on my Hothead, but I haven't tried to build it up to a thickness. This bead was an example of using the frit to protect the colors. I'll have to give your idea a try!

I also like the dabbing method of encasing - dabbing until the bead looks like a sticker ball and then pressing and melting it round. Have you tried that one?

Old 2011-05-20, 10:58am
And silence is golden

Here are three Devardi press challenges at the torch from yesterday.

Similar to press #93 that is currently up on their website. Devardi Transparent Yellow - pre-annealing. Once it is annealed, I do believe this glass turns into a dreamy translucent yellow! Lots of facets on this completed bead.

This particular press is from the past. It was #175 (not shown currently). Devardi Transparent Yellow Green. Nicely faceted press.

This is a very unusual shape with loads of potential. I started with a base of Devardi Fruit Punch, and then made a rod of Fruit Punch dipped in 'My Sister's Other Socks' frit from That Frit Girl. The photo was taken pre-annealing, but I'll bet it's going to be gorgeous post-annealing!

Aleta
Old 2011-05-20, 11:06am
Live and Let Live

Wow, Aleta. You are rocking those presses! I only have 1 of theirs and all I get is an awful mess, no matter how careful I am with the footprint and amount of glass before pressing. You give me hope that other presses may be better and I might try another.
PS: I LOVE Fruit Punch and hope you will show that last bead again after annealing.

Old 2011-05-20, 12:30pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
Wow, Aleta. You are rocking those presses! I only have 1 of theirs and all I get is an awful mess, no matter how careful I am with the footprint and amount of glass before pressing. You give me hope that other presses may be better and I might try another.
PS: I LOVE Fruit Punch and hope you will show that last bead again after annealing.
These are just 2nd or 3rd tries on each press. So they aren't exactly perfect. I would imagine that it will take a few more practice sessions to get them down pat. Which press do you have? Perhaps one of us can give you a few tips on how to make better use of it.

P.S. I love Fruit Punch TOO! The color that you get after annealing, is an amazing earth tone terra cotta shade.
Old 2011-05-20, 12:37pm
StudioMarcy

those do look like fun presses. Lisa, what press do you have that is giving you problems? Maybe we can help. or is it a malfunction of the press? And thanks for the heads up on fruit punch. sounds like a fun glass.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-05-20, 12:48pm

Aleta-those are great! Love the look of the fruit punch! I will have to get some of that. I love Thatfritgirl's frit blends they are the best!
Thanks for sharing!
Old 2011-05-20, 1:13pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Aleta - how neat to see your beautiful work alongside the Press pictures! It is so helpful. I just got a few of the Devardi Presses, so I'll make beads and post pics with the presses like you have as soon as I can.
Old 2011-05-20, 1:19pm
cherry blossom beads

Kristina-I noticed in your shop set-up(awesome) that you have a GlassHive Kiln. What size is it? Short Guy? Trying to decide on which size to get for myself.
Old 2011-05-20, 1:23pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelle261 View Post
Kristina-I noticed in your shop set-up(awesome) that you have a GlassHive Kiln. What size is it? Short Guy? Trying to decide on which size to get for myself.
Yes, it's the smallest one, with a Devardi wire rack inside. It is awesome. They pre-program it based on what you tell them. So far it's worked like a champ! If it's on your worktable small is nice. If you are heavy production then it might get small as your production increases.
Old 2011-05-20, 1:35pm
cherry blossom beads

How often do you fire it and how much do you put in at once? Do you use it to garage your work too? Sorry so many questions...
Old 2011-05-20, 3:45pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Oh, we like questions on this Thread! Everyone is quick to help here.

When ever I sit to work I turn the kiln on and as soon as I am done with a bead it goes in the kiln. The kiln is set to hold around 930 or 960 I think. Then when I am done working I turn it to the anneal cycle for the night. In the morning I remove the work and have a teeny Christmas

Does anyone else feel that way when you get your work out of the kiln?
Old 2011-05-20, 5:51pm
Live and Let Live

The press I have isn't on the site anymore. It's rather like this one but more rounded than this, and 3 facets in each cavity. If I use enough glass to get the 'ends' filled out, the glass squooshes out the middle and makes a 'ring' around the edge of the bead. But if I use less glass, I don't get the definition on the ends. Maybe it's just too tiny for me to work with and I'd do better with a bigger shape.

Old 2011-05-20, 10:07pm

Kristina..sorry I did not get back to you right away..crazy days lately.I haven't tried your encasing trick..but I am going to.Things are going so fast getting the studio set up...I am psyched!Hubby brought down what he thought was the second half of my glass except for my rack of real old special glass which I told him not to attempt to pack..I will do it when I go home for a week next month.He's not aware of the other third of glass thats all stashed away under beds and such..haha!He's sleeping on a bed of glass so to speak.
It's all good..he says no more new hobbies tho..this is the last and I wish i knew about glassworking 10 or 15 years ago when I was in better health,but I am loving watching all you just get better and better!
"

Old 2011-05-21, 4:07am
StudioMarcy

Hi Lisa,
sometimes those tiny ones are harder than the bigger ones. When I get a new press that is hard to work with, I grab my play doh and make a bead using it. so I have a final size that comes out just right and keep it and let it harden. Then I make another, and then pop it onto the mandrel size I would use and try it again. (sometimes there needs to be a little subtracted.) and once I've got it right, then I round up that piece of playdoh to the shape I would use prior to pressing. and let it harden. so I have a visual before and after to keep with the press. After a while, you won't need it. but for less than a $1 of playdoh, it can prevent a lot of headaches. When the playdoh hardens, you can write on it, if you need any small notes or put it on a little string with any notes attached, so it will be easy when you want it next time. Hope that helps. I have my students do it too, and it seems to make it easier for them too.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-05-21, 5:11am
Hot Glass Neophyte

That's neat Marcy. I use FIMO since it doesn't shrink, and I fill the press cavity then take off a pinch and run the mandrel through the clay and make sure it fills the cavity. That becomes my model for size. It is always soft so I put it where it won't get dropped or bumped.

Lisa, when I have a press that a pain to use I use a stringer, not a rod. I make the base wrap and then wrap where I need the extra - one round at a time and I keep testing it in the press. It may take 5 or 6 times as I am learning. If you like that shape and you try these things please let us know how it goes.

I just got some new presses I will struggle with too. I'll post when I have something to show.
Old 2011-05-21, 7:34am

Great idea on the play dough trick!

I have the short guy also and love it! However, I do hope that some time in the future I will be able to get the next size up.. For me, the short guy is perfect right now, it fits on my work bench beautifully and I don't have time to torch enough to justify a bigger one. I do manage to get it pretty full most days I use it though, and just stack the beads on top of each other once I am sure they are stable and won't stick to each other.

I anneal at 950 then run the program that it came with. Mike had pre programmed it for 104 glass for me which made it super easy. You can also load a second program if you want to fuse glass or do boro or whatever. When I make boro beads I just up my holding temp to 1050, when I am done I let it sit for an hour and a half then start my regular annealing schedule.

Old 2011-05-21, 8:06am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you for that boro cycle infor Sonja. Someday I want to play with it, and I will be glad to know that!
Old 2011-05-21, 1:40pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
The press I have isn't on the site anymore. It's rather like this one but more rounded than this, and 3 facets in each cavity. If I use enough glass to get the 'ends' filled out, the glass squooshes out the middle and makes a 'ring' around the edge of the bead. But if I use less glass, I don't get the definition on the ends. Maybe it's just too tiny for me to work with and I'd do better with a bigger shape.

Lisa, that would be one of my favorite presses! Especially with 3 facets in each cavity. Until I can get the correct amount of glass on the mandrel, I like to let the excess squish out around the edges like I did with the press where I used the Midnight Misty Glass on the previous page.
Old 2011-05-23, 5:55am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Well, I didn't get to the Presses this weekend, but I did get a new Egg Shaped Bead Roller so I had to try making one...
Old 2011-05-23, 5:58am
StudioMarcy

Cute Kristina!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-05-23, 6:09am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you Marcy, I can tell this shape could get addicting to make!
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi