Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-08-08, 3:24am

Talking Does anyone have a Japanese Torch? I have a few questions

I am currently working on making my own torch and am having great success. I am just working out the kinks now to get it running as good as possible but I have a few questions on the internals of how one of these works. Can anybody get me a few photos of whats inside one of these guys: http://artcoinc.com/japanese_torches.php

It does not have to be the exact model.

Does the gas and air get mixed before its sprayed out into the body of the torch or are there separate nozzles inside?

What is in the top of the torch, just one screen? Or are there several? Or something else as well that I am missing.

Like I said pictures would be great and they do say a thousand words. If you can remove the tube and get some photos of the guts of this thing that would be amazing.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and posting any help.
Old 2013-08-08, 7:02am

What is it you want to do with the torch?
Engineering and precision machining experience can help a lot with this kind of project.

The small details really have an effect on the flame charictrristics.
You may want to look at the T-Rex burner and other home built torches.

There are noticeable performance differences between the hothead and divardi torches due to the quality of machining and tolerance levels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-08-08, 10:17am

Not only am I a machinist and a woodworker but I am very good at engineering design.I'm not interested in exact details. I am just curious as to how they worked a few things. like I said I already have a working model and it works pretty good for a 1 night job. My main issue is that when you drop out the compressed air it likes to flame up at my air intake holes on the lower part of the torch. I will check out the T-rex and see what else I can find, but photos are what I am looking for.
Old 2013-08-08, 3:41pm
Alaska Boro

Would guess that the obvious answers is do like the folks do in China. Buy one, take it apart and reverse engineer it.

The second would be to do a patent search to see what designs are being used for this style of torch.
Old 2013-08-09, 12:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswamptools View Post
I am currently working on making my own torch and am having great success. I am just working out the kinks now to get it running as good as possible but I have a few questions on the internals of how one of these works. Can anybody get me a few photos of whats inside one of these guys: http://artcoinc.com/japanese_torches.php

It does not have to be the exact model.

Does the gas and air get mixed before its sprayed out into the body of the torch or are there separate nozzles inside?

What is in the top of the torch, just one screen? Or are there several? Or something else as well that I am missing.

Like I said pictures would be great and they do say a thousand words. If you can remove the tube and get some photos of the guts of this thing that would be amazing.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and posting any help.
What exactly do you want to know, or see? And, is this just curiosity, or do you want to try and make one yourself?

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2013-08-09, 3:56am

I am trying to make a similar torch for my own use.

1. I want to know if the gas and compressed air is mixed before or after its sprayed into the body of the torch.

2. What keeps the gas from igniting at the air intake vent holes and having a flame at the base of the torch. "possibly this is not an issue because of the upwards spraying pressure.. I'm not sure"

3. I want to know what they do for diverting the path of the gas after its injected into the body of the torch, I mean what is inside of the torch body tube between the screen on the head and the gas injector. "is it just empty all the way up to the screen?" "maybe some funny cone to divert the gases?" "possibly another screen as well?"

If you can remove the tube body from the base and get a photo of the injector part and a photo of inside of the tube it would explain everything I'm looking for I believe.
Old 2013-08-09, 8:15am

you should make a triple mix and make some competition for gtt! please please please!!
Old 2013-08-09, 12:24pm

Trust me I have thought of that a lot, I am starting small and this is my 2nd torch I have made. Surface mix will require a lot more investment and more precision tools /metal lathe/ finish building my cnc/ afford the crazy cost of medical micro stainless tubing. I went out today and got some parts so hopefully I will have a working torch later today. I will post some photos if I get it running tonight.
Old 2013-08-09, 1:39pm

Looking forward to seeing the photos.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-08-10, 8:37pm

Got it put together last night but was having a lot of flashback issues. Today I tightened up the fittings and got the right air pressure and its working great. I would still like to see photos of the nice Japanese torches though.
Also I pulled a decent stringer from Moretti on it today.

Last edited by blackswamptools; 2013-08-10 at 8:58pm.
Old 2013-08-10, 9:00pm
Salt Box Beads

Well, how cool is that??!!
Old 2013-08-10, 11:49pm
kinda torching....

Sweet! How much did it cost to build is I may ask?
Old 2013-08-11, 12:00am

about 40-50$ for the total construction and that includes the taps for the odd sized holes.