LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-05, 2:03pm

Default Bucket O Mud Bead Release Problems

I got a new bottle of Bucket O mud bead release recently. Ever since my bead release has been flaking and peeling and breaking. I've tried air drying, i've tried flame drying, I've tried dipping it quickly to make the coating thicker.

Any ideas? Is anyone else having problems with this batch of Bucket O Mud?
(I've been using Bucket O Mud for years before this and loved it!)

Last edited by molldoll64; 2009-10-05 at 4:10pm.
Old 2009-10-05, 3:03pm
Born Facing Left

I'm using stuff that's a couple of years old. No problems....but I can't speak to the quality of the batch you're using.

I use it really really thin, not thick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-10-06, 4:09pm
Melting

I'm having the same problem. Sometimes it is great, other times it sucks. It will crack and flake when I introduce it to the flame (after air drying), or the release will crack when I am working on a bead and ruin the bead. With my larger mandrels it cracks everywhere just as it air dries. Very frustrating!! I do a thin dip. Other times, though, it sticks like glue and behaves wonderfully.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2009-10-06, 4:58pm
Cali4nia baby

hmmm - mine is doing that too !? Bad batch? Sure hate wasting mandrels, glass and that stuff is not cheap either ! arrghh
Old 2009-10-06, 5:54pm
Forever

I had the same problem with mine, which was an order I got about three months ago. I did thin it down quite a bit and it did not flake as much; however, some of the beads would not release, had to break them.
Old 2009-10-08, 3:59pm
Glass junkie

Bucket O'Mud was taken over by Frantz about 3 months ago - maybe that's why
Old 2009-10-08, 4:23pm
Tweedle Dumb

I water mine down. Seems to work better that way.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2009-10-18, 2:19pm

Ok, I'll try watering it down. It really is a shame to have it cracking all over the place!
Old 2009-10-18, 2:55pm

Default Bucket O Mud Problems

A few weeks ago I had one phone call from a customer letting me know they were having a problem with their bead release, but one complaint does not make a problem......but now I see there is a problem.

My suggestion is to remove a bit of the bead release and then add water and stir it. If that works for you....ok. If it does not work for you or you do not want to go do the work of removing and adding and mixing, just let us know and we will credit you for your purchase.

In the meantime I will look into this problem a bit more and will make a new batch and give it a good test.

Sorry that some of you had to waste time and good mandrels.

Mike Frantz

Frantz Art Glass Website:

The Torch Website:

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2009-10-18, 3:31pm

Default I am having trouble with my new....

bucket o'mud also. I just commented to dh that I was not very happy with it. I wondered about thinning it down am glad to hear it isn't just me.

SRA #C88

Old 2009-10-19, 8:16am
state-eternal change

I tried it twice, a couple years apart and it stunk both times. I stick with my favourite now, Fusion.

Old 2009-10-19, 9:00am
Tacki

Mine was doing it as well. I finally gave up and switched over to Dip & Go Sludge. It holds up in the flame, never ever cracks or flakes, and is easy to get the bead off when you're done.
Old 2009-10-19, 9:01am
Tacki

BTW - when I thinned mine down with water it just made the problem worse.
Old 2009-10-19, 1:45pm
Jacqueline Parkes

1st bottle worked like a charm, 2nd bottle, I hate it. It flakes as soon as it hits the flame.

Old 2009-10-19, 1:58pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Sludge Plus, Sludge Plus, Sludge Plus, Sludge Plus.

Jack

Old 2009-10-20, 4:30am

Had the same problem last week. I rewashed my mandrels with dish soap , made sure they were really dry. Next batch of dipping had no problems...
Pam
Old 2009-10-20, 5:12am
Cosmo and Bayley's Mom

Yes, I had the same problem. First bottle was a dream and the latest bottle has been so frustrating!

Old 2009-10-20, 5:30am

Smile BOM

Hi-

I received the free bottle of BOM that Franz was giving away (maybe) six to eight months ago. It was awful- had all the same problems being discussed here. So I ordered another big bottle of Fusion- expensive, but so worth it! I didn't want to waste the Bucket of Mud, and I had read where someone said to mix- 66% Fusion, 33% Bucket of Mud- it is the perfect mix for me- the Fusion holds together in the flame, the BOM makes cleaning much easier! Good Luck! Laura

Old 2009-10-20, 6:46am
Wyoming Silvers

HHmmm,, I thought it was just me! I got a BOM with my last Frantz order and have been just literally fighting it.. I steel wooled all my mandrels yesterday, if that doesn't work I will try soap and water also. I have tried thinning it no improvemenment. What a hassle! Maybe I just am not holding my mouth right! I am going back to Foster Fire, never had a problem with that!

Lovin my Lynx with M20
Old 2009-10-20, 6:49am
sunscreen me baby

Well, to add to the confusion here. I had bucket of mud before Frantz took over and it flaked for me. I mixed it with some Foster Fire and it solved the problem.

~

Old 2009-10-20, 11:00am
FireDancer Glass

Just bought a bottle and hope to get on the torch today...will let everyone know how mine does. Didn't have any problems with my last bottle, hope this one works fine...don't have any others to fall back on.

Christy
Old 2009-10-20, 12:03pm
Creatrixie

By the Way, for the record, I just wanted to put out there how much I appreciate that Mike @ Frantz responds quickly to issues like this and on his willingness to find a way for everyone to be happy. Kudos Mike.
(I tend to like Fusion release best too)

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-10-20, 12:22pm

I purchased some BOM about 4 weeks ago. It was a little too thick so I watered it down but have had no problems with it.
Old 2009-10-20, 4:25pm
FireDancer Glass

Ok...no problems with mine today....just used the first batch that I dipped! Just hope the beads come out as well as the BOM worked!

Christy
Old 2009-10-20, 4:35pm

No problems with mine either. I got it about 4 weeks ago.

Old 2009-11-16, 5:45pm

I purchased mine from Frantz a few weeks ago and it is absolutely awful! I've tried everything with it. If I am lucky I can get some small spacers to hold tight but that is it. It starts to crack and flake when I stick it in the flame and if I am lucky enough to get beyond that then it inevitably cracks, flakes, breaks if I try to do any shaping. It is terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE - thick or thin, flame dried or air dried, dried same day, few days or many - still an awful mess. I am sorry but I am just so frustrated. I need to make beads NOW and I have no bead release and I've wasted sooo much time and glass.

H37
Old 2009-12-10, 1:28pm
Drawn to the Flame

WOW...
ok, i thought it was just me or the weather here or something!
I have some old BOM release and it is flaking really badly.
i have tried to air dry and flame dry and all that jazz...
i have a new bottle that i just got last week and havent tried it yet.
i will let you all know!

thanks!
teresa

Old 2009-12-11, 6:10am

I ran out of the old release a few weeks ago, but had one here that I had purchased about 2 months ago. I agree, this BOM is terrible. The consistency is almost slimy. Visually, I could see a difference before I tried it so I knew it wasn't the old stuff. I dipped and flame dried, dipped and air dried, added water and still, nothing is working. It flakes off of the mandrel as soon as I start wrapping the mandrel with glass.

Mike, I got mine through one of your distributors and won't be bothering them for a credit. It's not a big deal to me, but I sure would love to know when a good batch (like the original stuff) is available. The old BOM was the best and only released I used and trusted.

Old 2009-12-13, 9:42pm
A Splash o' Glass

I bought some of the original BOM and it was the best release I've ever bought. Rarely did it crack and it was so easy to clean out. This new stuff is not easy to clean out. It doesn't crack or flake much but cleaning it is a bitch!

Old 2009-12-15, 7:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtonjewels View Post
I ran out of the old release a few weeks ago, but had one here that I had purchased about 2 months ago. I agree, this BOM is terrible. The consistency is almost slimy. Visually, I could see a difference before I tried it so I knew it wasn't the old stuff. I dipped and flame dried, dipped and air dried, added water and still, nothing is working. It flakes off of the mandrel as soon as I start wrapping the mandrel with glass.

Mike, I got mine through one of your distributors and won't be bothering them for a credit. It's not a big deal to me, but I sure would love to know when a good batch (like the original stuff) is available. The old BOM was the best and only released I used and trusted.

Exactly the same for me. The last two bottles are horrible. This last bottle is so thick. I was afraid to thin it in case it made it worse. When I spiral on the first footprint it breaks loose.

I too bought mine from another distributor. I've used BOM for 4 years and hate that I'm going to have to find something else.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell