Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-04, 10:44am

Lisa, that happens alot with my orders from out there, I think it's because I'm close to Minneapolis....it's a direct flight from WA to the cities, then overnight to me...

The bubbly color you're referring to is the trans champagne dk rose....I absolutely love it !!!
Old 2010-05-04, 11:26am
The Grand Foobah

Yummy!! Can't wait to get mine! Gonna go check the tracking now!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foofaraw is a style. An attitude. A fresh glimmer of fun. Foofaraw is unique.
Old 2010-05-04, 11:28am
The Grand Foobah

Scheduled Delivery Date: 05/11/2010

Oh Man I gotta wait a whole nother week!!! I think I'm in pain!

Old 2010-05-04, 4:50pm
one day at a time

I got the rod warmer yesterday, so I will try that out soon. I pray it helps me with that blue I love!
Old 2010-05-04, 5:33pm
If the Wooden Shoes Fit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
I got the rod warmer yesterday, so I will try that out soon. I pray it helps me with that blue I love!
If you are meaning the Lapis Blue... Yes, the warmer helps big time.... I love my warmer.... Not sure how I did without it... LOL

Houkje
Old 2010-05-04, 5:33pm

Babyfirefly: thanks for posting your beads and your explanation about encasing. That last one has lots of aventurine in it. Wow wow wow. Gorgeous beads everyone!
Old 2010-05-04, 5:43pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightforge View Post
If you are meaning the Lapis Blue... Yes, the warmer helps big time.... I love my warmer.... Not sure how I did without it... LOL

Houkje
I think it's this one: Transparent Ocean Blue

Terribly shocky and rods are 10mm. It will be a beautiful color to work with once it's not so fritty.
Old 2010-05-04, 5:59pm
Remember to keep smiling

Ocean Blue is one of my favorite. Once I warm the rod I pull it into large stringers so I don't have to deal so much with the shockness for later use.

Quote:

Terribly shocky and rods are 10mm. It will be a beautiful color to work with once it's not so fritty.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-04, 10:10pm

Quote:

Ocean Blue is a beautiful color... If you pull Ocean Blue into fine stringers you get an almost blue green color in the sun light...
Like PaulaP I pull large rods down into smaller rods and stringers...
It is not hard to pull the larger rods into workable size rods after being in the warmer for about 1/2 hour... Just be careful not to hold the rod to close to the end that has been in the warmer.. It is very hot, about 3 to 4 inches.. (ask me how I know) I very seldom have any shocky rods, no matter the size...
I got some of the extra large rods (16mm)..Stack them up in the wire rack in the warmer and away I go.... Buy 12LBs and get 2LBs free... That is a great deal when you can pull them down...
You will love your warmer...

Houkje
Old 2010-05-05, 5:38am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I do the same thing. I have a rainbow of pulled thick stringers from big rods. I keep them in 2 juice glasses. The Rod Warmer takes away ALL shock from the rods, it's a must with this hand-pulled glass! I also wanted to say the Rod Warmer is great for preheating murrini on top!

These are the transparent beads I worked up. Their colors are so beautiful but I find it a must to use the graphite BeadRollers for some of the glass to get consistently round beads.

What methods do you all use for rounds?

Old 2010-05-05, 6:18am

My box of glass should be here today! Yeah! But I will not get to play until Monday. I try to keep my glass burning to when my DH works nights. That way he is much more giving when I take $ out of checking for my glass stuff!
Kristina-I find when I slow way down my beads go from the typical doughnut shape to more round. I have one of the bead rollers too-makes things much quicker! I don't see a problem using tools! Your beads are great!
Old 2010-05-05, 6:23am
The Grand Foobah

I purchased a rod warmer as well and can't wait to get it.

Love the colors in those beads Kristina!

Old 2010-05-05, 6:25am
The Grand Foobah

For rounds I make a donut shaped bead and then add more glass and rotate the mandrel slowly. The center of the bead spreads out and you get a round bead, then I add the decoration.

Old 2010-05-05, 6:47am

Good Morning All...

Kristina... Beautiful beads, love the transparent colors, looks like spring... We have snow again this morning, so your beads cheered me... Thank you...

Jenn... I use the same method as you to round a bead, but I also roll it very gently on a flat marver... If I put to much pressure on the glass I get a barrel bead...

Tools are Fun... I like them....

Houkje
Old 2010-05-05, 9:22am
Hot Glass Neophyte

We are a great source of info to each other! Thank you all for the counsel. Now help me with this next one if it's possible.

I don't have a kiln, so I am struggling with some glass. It just cools to fast in the Annealing Beads I guess. I tried twice to do the transparent light green as one of these floral beads, and both got thermal cracks from cooling to fast. It's so very pretty too!

My understanding is that Thermal Cracks are from cooling to fast, and start at the mandrel and will sometimes break the bead in half. Incompatability cracks are around or through work on the bead... is that your understanding too?

I need to save for a bead kiln, but any ideas on helping the more fragile glass survive?

Old 2010-05-05, 9:55am

Kristina... I'm not up on all the tec. terms.... But this is what I do with beads that I think may crack.... You know the warmer that we have, well I use mine as a kiln of sorts ... You do need a rod rack in the warmer to do this... You also need a bead blanket...
Put the warmer on the bead blanket, be sure the blanket will wrap all the way around the warmer and will enclose both the front and back openings... Save enough room to put those beads in while the warmer is very hot... I would recommend that you make these beads last of the day... Before you turn off the warmer, wrap it all up in the bead blanket to keep the heat in, turn off the warmer and leave it until cold... I have lost a lot less beads this way....
I don't have a kiln either, and am saving pennies for one too... ... I'm thinking about getting a second warmer for the time being....

Hope this will help.....

Houkje
Old 2010-05-05, 10:05am
The Grand Foobah

I was going to recommend using the warmer as well.

Old 2010-05-05, 3:00pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you both so much! One day I hope there will be a kiln in my future... but until then we improvise!
Old 2010-05-05, 3:08pm

Hi Lisa..like you,I am on the East coast but I did get a tracking number yesterday(5/4) However even today there is no additional info..like where it is or when its coming.I just hope it will be Friday or Monday because Hubby will flip when he see's my huge order if it shows up Saturday..lol.
Good luck and hope you hear soon.Mine went thru Paypal so i did get the payment notification instantly.
Take care..oh..and my Bro is a Doc in NH..Peterboro.
Diana
"

Old 2010-05-05, 3:16pm

Kristina-

Please say you are getting your stuff annealed by someone prior to selling it? I just had an "ack" moment when it clicked that you were saying you didn't have a kiln back to your bracelet, then I saw your etsy...

Annealing doesn't make soft glass like pyrex. It makes it so it doesn't break all on its own, for no apparent reason, providing it's done properly and all stress is removed from the bead prior to any thermal cracks starting.

Annealing bubbles do not anneal your beads. The only way to anneal your beads is in a kiln.
Old 2010-05-05, 3:19pm
Live and Let Live

Hi Diana... small world! Peterborough is like a 25 minute drive for me, mostly because the roads are small and twisty or it would take even less time to get there. I finally broke down and emailed Natasha this morning and she said they were in the middle of packing my order and I got a tracking number this afternoon! Woo hoo!

I ordered one of the rod warmers this time too so I'm extra excited about this shipment. Hope we're both tearing into our new packages soon.

Old 2010-05-05, 3:32pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post
Kristina-

Please say you are getting your stuff annealed by someone prior to selling it? I just had an "ack" moment when it clicked that you were saying you didn't have a kiln back to your bracelet, then I saw your etsy...

Annealing doesn't make soft glass like pyrex. It makes it so it doesn't break all on its own, for no apparent reason, providing it's done properly and all stress is removed from the bead prior to any thermal cracks starting.

Annealing bubbles do not anneal your beads. The only way to anneal your beads is in a kiln.

Yes, they are fully annealed with a digital controller. I have a huge 4' wide Evenheat oval kiln for stained glass firing. It's pretty amusing when I put an 8" wide rack of beads in the center of it to anneal them!

Thank you for the correction on the pyrex statement!
Old 2010-05-05, 4:51pm

Sooo my package was brought by the mailman and I wasn't home. So I have to go pick it up in the morning. Figures lol. Oh well it will give me something fun to do at work lol.

Old 2010-05-05, 5:16pm
Bigger, longer, and uncut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
Sooo my package was brought by the mailman and I wasn't home. So I have to go pick it up in the morning. Figures lol. Oh well it will give me something fun to do at work lol.
Same thing happened to me except that I was in the garage making beads and didn't hear the doorbell. Just what I wanted to do tomorrow: Go to the post office.

Old 2010-05-05, 5:36pm
The Grand Foobah

Lisa,

I'm in Petersham, MA which is near the NH boarder.

Old 2010-05-05, 5:40pm

Smile Devardi glass warmer?

Anyone know the electrical specifics on the Devardi rod warmer? As in how many amps does it pull while running? My studio needs a major electrical over-haul and for right now I can only pull 13 amps total while making beads. The oxy-concentrator pulls 5 amps, the fans pull another 2 amps, the radio pulls an amp - so I need to know what the rod warmer pulls before buying one.

Thanks in advance.
under construction -
Old 2010-05-05, 6:36pm

no clue but if you email Natasha I am sure she will find out for you.

Old 2010-05-05, 6:56pm
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie_M View Post
Anyone know the electrical specifics on the Devardi rod warmer? As in how many amps does it pull while running? My studio needs a major electrical over-haul and for right now I can only pull 13 amps total while making beads. The oxy-concentrator pulls 5 amps, the fans pull another 2 amps, the radio pulls an amp - so I need to know what the rod warmer pulls before buying one.

Thanks in advance.
All I know is that it blew my circuit when I tried to run it in the room with my Kiln, worklight and oxycon... I guess I need more amps....

Old 2010-05-05, 7:04pm
Live and Let Live

Jenn... I see you on the map! Looks like about 25 miles south of the border. Hi down there!

Old 2010-05-05, 7:07pm
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Joseph View Post
All I know is that it blew my circuit when I tried to run it in the room with my Kiln, worklight and oxycon... I guess I need more amps....
Aw, crud! When I want to add my space heater to the mix in my basement studio, I have to run it from an extension cord on another circuit because the same thing happens to me if I try to run it on the same line as my 2 oxycons, light, kiln and blower. Won't do me much good to have a rod warmer that I can't put on my bench and run, eh?

Closed Thread

Tags
devardi