Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Sale Rack

Sale Rack -- Sales, Promotions, Giveaways, Specials, Etc.
Only LE Vendors may start threads, but anyone may reply.

Old 2014-09-06, 7:01am
Moving On

Exclamation PIERCED Flower Press- Problem--I'm working on it

ALERT-----I'm really, really sorry (and upset) to report that there is a problem with the slot in the upper portion of the Pierced Flower Press.

To those who have received their tools: If you haven't tried it yet, you will most likely find that the slot is not going to be big enough to accept the "tiny" mandrel.

The reason: The bronze casting company made their final version by molding from the one you have seen in my photos (the only one I had seen in person), and told me there would be a tiny bit of shrinkage. What no one took into consideration (insert enormous DUH here) was that while the size change was acceptable in the flower, it would mess up the slot.

The solution: I am going to work with my toolmaker (the person who brazed the bronze to the handles) to see if he can enlarge the upper mold slots. I am also going to see if I can find any "at home" dremel tool or file that is small enough to work and save on 2-way shipping.

Meanwhile, please let me know by email (gailjos @ gmail.com) if you are having this problem, so that I can keep track and take care of everyone.

I have devoted my heart, soul and pocketbook to this tool for the past year, and I intend to make it work and to have happy lampworkers using it!
--Gail

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-09-06, 7:44am

how could you sell these without testing them first?
Old 2014-09-06, 8:40am
GlassDocNC

It's a first run of a new tool. It happens. Sorry it happened this time.

Take life with a grain of salt.....a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila.
Old 2014-09-06, 9:32am

Quote:
how could you sell these without testing them first?
Yeah, and why would you post here before there was a single complaint, and commit your name, wallet and reputation on making sure all of your customers are happy?

The nerve.
Old 2014-09-06, 10:12am
Moving On

Quote:
Yeah, and why would you post here before there was a single complaint, and commit your name, wallet and reputation on making sure all of your customers are happy?

The nerve.
Thanks! I'll consider this a much needed virtual hug!

Old 2014-09-06, 10:16am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:

The nerve.
Seriously.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.

not the nerve

for your own sanity
for example someone here is testing a pattern for a hat
Moving On

One possible "fix", recommended by a customer's engineer husband, is something called "Mitchell's Cord." It is an abrasive-impregnated cord that might work... If it does, those who choose to try it could have me send them some. I'm going to see if I can find it locally today.

Flame Dames Rule!

Shit happens, and I trust Gail to get it fixed.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2014-09-06, 10:17am

good I wish her the best
Old 2014-09-06, 10:21am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I wouldn't think this would be that hard to file down with those thin metal files. There are ones in the set I have that seem thin enough to fit in the slot. How hard is bronze? Does it file readily?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2014-09-06, 10:53am

I took my bead cleaning Dremel and ran it through the slot a few times and it was fixed. Not a big problem at all.

Sharon
Old 2014-09-06, 11:32am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
I took my bead cleaning Dremel and ran it through the slot a few times and it was fixed. Not a big problem at all.

Sharon
Tada!!!!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2014-09-06, 12:53pm
A True Woofer

I had this same problem with my CD Bellflower when I first got it home and I used some sandpaper on a roll that I found in my husband's shop. So it can happen to the big guys, too.

It's called 120 grit Aluminum Oxide Emery cloth, FYI.

Old 2014-09-06, 2:05pm
HotFlash Designs

i thought it was just me, fighting with the teeny mandrels. I'll go play again.

I have faith in Gail. Thanks for being such a stand up gal, Gail.

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2014-09-06, 5:38pm
Flame Dames Rule!

All done -

First I worked on it for a bit with my bead reamer dremel, then used a little flat file to smooth the sides.

Appears to be FIXED!

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2014-09-07, 2:07pm

No worries, the Dremel with the diamond bit for cleaning my beads worked wonderfully to fix it. Problem solved
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-09-08, 8:43am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I contacted Gail about it right away just because I was thinking I misunderstood how the tool was supposed to work. She was super about replying.

My husband is going to work on it, but I wanted to ask her first so I did not do irreparable damage to it.

I can't wait to use it! I have been waiting for this tool, and this is an unfortunate issue. I admire Gail for stepping up and making sure people know she is on it.

Old 2014-09-08, 9:30am

This thread persuaded me to buy one.
Always awesome to see proactive vendors...

Last edited by isaberg; 2014-09-08 at 10:21am.
Old 2014-09-08, 4:00pm

"Stand up" response to a problem Gail! Good for you!!!

Old 2014-09-08, 9:48pm
Moving On

Here are two DIY ways to fix the slot:

As I don't have any sort of bench vise at my new house, I simply braced the tool between my body and the kitchen counter to keep it still.

1) The Mitchell's Cord was a good, slow, more gentle way to file down the upper slot. I have two types of cord. I gently worked the thinner one up and back to grind open the slot, then did the same with the thicker one. If you want to try them, let me know**, and I'll send you lengths of both.

2) My preference for fixing the problem (and what I also did with my Carlo Dona presses) was to use my Dremel and my tapered, pointed diamond reamer. I have a variable speed Dremel, and using a low-mid speed and starting with a skinny part of the reamer (not forcing it), I ran the reamer around the perimeter of the slot (picture the outline of the slot looked at from above as a U shape.

As the edges of the slot became smoother, I then was able to work the reamer through the slot to make it more consistent in size, plus bigger, so as to accommodate the mandrel.

SO... That was a whole lot of words to say I used a tapered diamond bead-reamer to smooth out and open up the upper slot.

If you don't have a tapered diamond bead-reamer, they are available very cheaply from Widgetsupply.com, or, when I get in a supply I just ordered, I'd be happy to send you one. Again, let me know.**

The NON-DIY Fix:

If you really don't want to do this yourself (or don't know anyone who will do it for you) (it is really very easy), you can send it to me, and I will do it for you and send it back. **To do this, please please let me know, and I will send you a return USPS label (tell me if you are using the same box, and zipcode), and I will ship it back to you.

I really, really want to see people using and enjoying this tool! And I'd REALLY love to start seeing some flowers being made and used in some jewelry and/or other designs!!!!--Gail

Old 2014-09-09, 6:06am
Always with a smile!

I worked on mine yesterday with emery cloth and that helped but I still need to do a bit more. May try my dremel and flat file.

btw, I also had to do this with my Carlo Dona flower presses so I don't consider this a huge issue.

Will work on it again today
Thanks,
Gail!

) and
)
Old 2014-09-09, 7:54am

Aside from the easily fixable problem how is everyone liking the beads they made? I am dying to see some!

Caroline
Old 2014-09-09, 8:06am

I took mine to the bench grinder. The blade cut it to about 2mm, and a 1/16" mandrel is 1.6mm, perfect for me. Easy peasy fix.

I don't recommend this to anyone who isn't proficient with a bench grinder though.
Remember: if it gets out of hand on you, you can't put the material back so take your time if you do.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2014-09-09, 10:23am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I have not been able to torch since I got mine, but this weekend for sure!!

Old 2014-09-10, 7:40am

Wow, thanks for letting me know before it even arrives! It's a great idea, and I can't wait to use it!

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2014-09-10, 7:46am
Lifelong Student

Can the bell flower beads be batch annealed or are they to fragile?
Old 2014-09-10, 6:40pm
Moving On

Quote:
Can the bell flower beads be batch annealed or are they to fragile?
Hmmm, I don't batch anneal...Anyone else trying this?

Old 2014-09-11, 3:23pm

I don't have the pierced flower press but I did use a bellflower press. As long as you reheat after pressing really well they should be ok. I had problems using CIM bubblebath all of those cracked
Old 2014-09-11, 4:24pm
Lifelong Student

Cool! HD just dug his heels in to my annealing less than 15-20 at a time so I either have only torch when I have enough time to make more beads, or batch anneal