Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-28, 12:44pm
Junior Mint

Default How do I make this bead?

Hi all,

I've been challenged by a customer to make a similar bead to this:

(Sorry, image removed)

This image is out of a beading book, and I have no idea who the artist is, or I would ask them.

Anyway, my customer wants me to make something similar in light blue and light pink. Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be exact, but I would like to know how the texture is achieved, as well as the shiny-ness. (Although I would guess that was fumed).

Thanks for your help, in advance.

Debby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my stuff on

Last edited by starlightdesigns; 2009-10-29 at 5:21am. Reason: removed image
Old 2009-10-28, 12:47pm
sunscreen me baby

I got a sad face image for that link. I don't think that is what you want to make.

~

Old 2009-10-28, 12:48pm
Junior Mint

I fixed it.

my stuff on
Old 2009-10-28, 12:50pm
sunscreen me baby

I don't know, but what a cool technique!

~

Old 2009-10-28, 12:52pm
Tacki

DH Aurae, shards & stringers?
Old 2009-10-28, 12:53pm
Disconnected

Can of worms ready to be opened!! Danger-danger-danger!!! and the popcorn one that I couldnt' find on the list

Old 2009-10-28, 12:54pm
Rose colored glasses…√

You don't think it's just a big bunch of stringers twirled around a base bead half hazardly, and then fumed?

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Junior Mint

Yesterday I tried some small beads using different techniques and I did use Aurae and it sure got shiny but not in a light blue or a light pink sorta way.

my stuff on

Whatever it is....It's gorgeous! That would be a huge Challenge for me

Old 2009-10-28, 12:55pm
Junior Mint

I did try the bunch of stringers all over it every which way and although acceptable, it doesn't look a thing like the photo.

my stuff on
Old 2009-10-28, 12:56pm
Junior Mint

Oh, and I tried pixie dust, too, which looks nice, but I thought I would see if anyone had a better suggestion. I've never fumed before.

my stuff on

It's done with stringers and fumed. You may have trouble with the color combination you're looking for and will need very good ventilation. Word of warning - don't be temped to try iridizing unless you've got the best ventilation system in the known universe.

Robert

Last edited by RSimmons; 2009-10-28 at 12:57pm. Reason: Typo
Meow.

For the texture: I'd make the base bead in the desired colors and shape it well then carefully (to not lose the shape) but heavilly 'thread' on my final layer in complimentary transparents or even clear (EMS helps here ) - then I'd melt in the threads only partially - while still giving enough heat to make sure it's all stuck on there.

Hope that makes sense to others aside from myself. Ha.

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Rose colored glasses…√

I wonder if you could fuse tiny stringers into a mesh of sorts and then apply it to the bead, and then swirl a whole bunch of haphazard stringers on it.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...

Last edited by chrissij; 2009-10-28 at 1:00pm.
Old 2009-10-28, 12:59pm
uncouthful cats

My 1st thought was - ball of stringer. But it's more netted, kind of like drizzled honey. But then again, I'm a complete newbie so don't know a thang. Just how it looks.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2009-10-28, 12:59pm
Junior Mint

Hi Kim,

That makes really good sense to me and the ems is a good suggestion, I do have one but have never mastered it, but for this, it would work.

The stringers I used yesterday were too thick, so I'm gonna try it with very fine stringer and see what happens.

my stuff on
Old 2009-10-28, 1:00pm
Junior Mint

Will fuming alter the colors I use?

my stuff on
Old 2009-10-28, 2:23pm

I think I have seen these before, really old school. The image is smacking my "early 90's" memory card.... I seem to recall the ones I am thinking of were hollow, and possibly boro.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-10-28, 2:36pm
More ideas than talent

I was thinking they're probably hollow too. You could try a transparent blue, and a clear. If you gold fumed it, the clear would go pink, with a golden shine. The transparent blue should also pick up the shine.

Hope you post your results.

Last edited by wendbill; 2009-10-28 at 7:24pm.
Old 2009-10-28, 2:37pm
I speak Murrini!

(Backs slowly away from the thread...but of course, still within "watching" distance):

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-10-28, 2:42pm
I fart diamonds

Threading Iris Gold and striking it will give you a similar effect without fuming. (Preferably K218 )

Old 2009-10-28, 2:51pm
More ideas than talent

Jim Smiricich has good advice on fuming in his DVDs, otherwise try youtube. There are several shorts there on fuming.

For reference, here's an example of the sort of pink you can get from gold fuming. This was clear glass gold fumed.
Attached Images

Last edited by wendbill; 2009-10-28 at 2:54pm. Reason: added pic
Old 2009-10-28, 3:00pm
More ideas than talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
(Backs slowly away from the thread...but of course, still within "watching" distance):
I would respectfully suggest that this is more of a technique based bead.

Old 2009-10-28, 4:40pm
Dangerous Woman

I have a bead like that. I got it from Ebay a few years ago. I don't remember the artist but it was a fundraiser for 9/11. It is iridised (sp?). I don't believe mine is hollow. I'll try to find out more about it.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-10-28, 5:00pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Hey! That bead is round!
I copyrighted the round bead, so don't get any funny ideas.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-10-28, 5:03pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

You know what, I'm gonna suggest starting off with a solid core.
Then, roll down some regular 2mm stringer work.

THEN, using the remainder of the stringer, "touch it down"
in places and pull up quickly, forming a VERY thin stringer.
Use the heat from the torch to collapse this "mini stringer" and
gently melt it in a bit. Do this all over the bead. You can also use the
stringer tip to pull down the superskinny stringers and "place" them
on the bead.

And I wouldn't fume it, but I would use a silver reactive glass
that fumes to browns. Maybe Iris gold or something?

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-10-28, 5:23pm

Technique ^^ as recommended by Karen

Colors
pink base, clear stringer, fumed with gold
blue base and one of the DH glasses that reduces to blue (sorry, no suggestions) Blue luster if you're using bullseye
Old 2009-10-28, 5:30pm
Junior Mint

Hmmmm.... all well thought out suggestions.

I do need the light pink and the light blue on the same bead, so mixing glasses probably won't do. I might have to do a few different beads to give the customer a choice. I already told her I can't make it just like the bead in the photo, but I do want to come within reason.

I get the feeling some of you are feeling uncomfortable with my request? I'm not planning to make these beads as part of my general production, it's just a one time thing, and I know darn well I won't come close to the original design. I would have been happy to ask the artist, but there again, I don't know who made it. My customer sent me the photo from a beading book she has.

Thanks,

Debby

my stuff on
Old 2009-10-28, 5:54pm

Hey Debbie, after you get that one figured out.....lol....will that be included in my next class??
Old 2009-10-28, 6:29pm
Junior Mint

Can I use gold leaf for fuming or does it have to be gold foil?

LOL, Mary, how's it going?

my stuff on