No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-02-04, 11:57am
Lampwork Meditator

Default MAPP gas canister leaking

I was teaching a few weeks ago and as we're packing up supplies, I hear a hissing noise. It was one of the student's 1# mapp gas canister leaking! We could smell the gas.

I didn't think this was even possible. Has this ever happened to anyone before?

Also, I had a canister that was heavy and had swishy liquid feel to it, but no gas came out when I turned on my torch.

Any thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carlisle mini cc with concentrator
Old 2008-02-04, 12:00pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

it happened in my first class to one of the canisters. we let it leak outside.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-02-04, 12:46pm
No Problem!

If they get a piece of debris down in where the valve pin is, then you attach the torch, it pushes down the pin and the debris can drop down and prevent the valve from properly seating. It will work fine, then when you take the torch off, it will leak.
If you take off the torch and re-attach frequently you can just put the original cover back over the threaded part of the canister to keep stuff out of there.
As far as the torch not allowing gas to pass through, there are a number of places that they can become clogged, mostly the tiny orifice that controls the gas flow.
You can take it all apart and physically clean it.
There are proper instructions for this somewhere, I don't remember at the moment though there was a recent thread about it here on the forum somewhere..if I find it I'll post a link here.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-02-05, 8:22am

Yeah, I have had that happen. I took a mandrel and poked the inside of the canisters opening to try to seal it. Just a quick push. Sometimes when you screw on the torch head and take it off the seal won't close properly. Then you take the canister outside and let it leak. It's not worth having that thing blow up in your face. I heard that happened to someone Using small tanks sucks. I am a pro at it though. That's how I have been making beads for the last 4 years I'm waiting to find a house for my minor....
Old 2008-02-05, 8:23am

The last 2 hot heads I tried to clean never quite got back together... I just bought a new one
Old 2008-02-05, 6:05pm
Happy in AZ

I have had to return 3 mapp canisters in the last 2 weeks because there was no pressure, a 4th did the same hissing thing when I took the HH off. It stops when a torch is put back on. In the year I have been using mapp, this is the first time I have had problems.

Nancy
Old 2008-02-06, 5:23pm

thats weird.... Where are you buying your tanks? I try to get them from a little tool supply store. The brand is Lennox, and they are the cheapest there. You can even get them from Walmart or Home Depot. Have you thought about a bulk tank? My advise to you though is that if you are going to get a bulk tank, save yourself the trouble and just get a minor torch and get propane. A minor is far better than working on a hot head. You have much more versatility. Good luck!

Much love,

Genea
Old 2011-02-17, 5:27pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Please don't get upset that I'm posting this in 2 places....I don't know what to do.

Brand new 1#mapp pro. Woudn't light, gas was coming out but wouldn't catch. Removed HH and heard hissing. then the hissing stopped. When I move the can, even gently to the side, it leaks. Then it stops. I put it outside.

I'm afraid to take it back to Lowes 'cause I don't want it leaking in my car, although I guess I could leave the windows open??

I did put it outside but when the can is in 1 position it doesn't leak.

What do I do with it? Do I need to stay outside and keep tilting it until it is empty and then take it to the disposal place?

Thanks alot
Namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-02-17, 7:50pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Any MAPP or MAP-PRO or PROPANE cylinder that has a liquidity slosh feel is ok, it just indicates is had fuel in it. These fuels are liquid at normal temperatures and the gas you burn at torch is a vapor that boils off the surface of liquid in cylinder. No slosh feel tank is probably empty...

Any cylinder that is leaking (hissing) take outside immediately because it is leaking flammable gas into area you and cylinder occupy... This is a fire/explosion hazard...

IF you are going to fool with schrade valve (pin valve in tank neck) do it outside. Every time you push it down to rectify leak/seal its releases flammable gas again it is a fire/explosion hazard....

Be safe...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-02-17, 8:12pm
Triumphantly Knit!

If it's not going to stay leaking unless I move it around what do I do with it? I'm thinking I have to keep moving it until it's empty, and it is a brand new cannister. I'm not messin' with pins or anything I don't know what it is or what I'm doing.
Dale, I've read alot that you've written here and on your forum on safety. Please tell me what to do with this cannister.
Thanks,
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Old 2011-02-18, 8:37am
Gentleman of Leisure

IF its leaking... Just put it outside away from any buildings and let it slowly "leak out".... Outside the fuel/gas will dissipate in the air with normal air currents carrying off the gas..... All will be safe if you just put it outside....

Dale

Old 2011-02-18, 10:07am
Curmudgeon Engineering

To evacuate the tank quicker simply screw the torch head back on and open the valve fully. All outside of course. When empty take it back to the dealer and complain...or dispose of the tank properly.
Old 2011-02-18, 10:22am

I've had this happen with several cylinders over the years and I don't think it's dirt or anything user related. IMO it's just a defective valve, or a nearly empty cylinder that doesn't pressurize the valve hard enough to keep it sealed. The standard caution is to always remove the torch head when not in use, but in my experience this is risker than just leaving it attached. I've never had or seen a leak in a torch head valve, though it can certainly happen, but I've personally had more than a couple leaky cylinders, invariably when the torch head is removed. Obviously leaky cylinders have to be moved outside and away as quickly as possible, but that's also the only truly safe place for any cylinder that's not actually in use.

Conrad
Old 2011-02-18, 11:01am
Triumphantly Knit!

Thank you, I will try screwing the torch back on but since it wouldn't stay lit I think the valve may just be screwy.
Yes, of course it is outside. I had a tank leak after removing torch but that did bleed out outside on it's own. This one only flows when moved...

As far as keeping the torch on, IMO there are 2 reasons why it's dangerous. The knob could accidently turn and cause a slow leak if bumped around and the problem with the bad weld of the cylinder top. Most if not all the cannisters that broke off at that seal had torches attached and not removed. The weight of the torch put added strain on the bad weld. Better to be safe, again, this is just my opinion.

I appreciate ya'll who took the time to answer me, I want to make sure the cylinder is empty before I take it to disposal.

Namaste
Rowyn

Old 2011-02-19, 10:57am
Triumphantly Knit!

I put the torch on the can and turned the valve all the way and the gas stayed flowing. I took the HH off and it made that nice solid thoop sound. I shook the can, no hissing no smell.
Is it safe for me to use it? I figure unless it starts to act up again it should be ok. I will keep it outside for now, I don't think I'll be lampworking until tomorrow.
Man, this was frustrating, I'm glas it seems ok now.
Thanks to all
Namaste
Rowyn

Old 2011-02-19, 12:47pm

Seems reasonable, just keep a close eye and nose on it. Tell me more about bad welds on 1# tanks- that's one I haven't heard about. I'd normally expect the brass torch tube to bend or fail long before the tank fitting cracked, which seems like "a really bad thing"!

Best,
CH
Old 2011-02-19, 1:05pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by irjc View Post
Most if not all the cannisters that broke off at that seal had torches attached and not removed. The weight of the torch put added strain on the bad weld.

Namaste
Rowyn
Never heard of this before....

Dale

Old 2011-02-19, 1:59pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I met a man in Lowes in Dunedin Florida who had been burned and won a lawsuit from Benzomatic, I think, he was welding and the can exploded from a defective seal.

Here is one link: http://www.bernzomaticinjuries.com/

If you google mapp gas injuries or lawsuits or defects or even leaks the info comes up.

another reason why I wouldn't store my torch on my gas. Mostly, though it seems to me the fewer things to go wrong the better. If my torch is off and the can by itself, the odds are less that this plus that could equal kaboom!
and since I am in a condo, I'm taking enough chances.

Again, just MY opinion, we all have several! and I reserve the right to change my mind in a heartbeat, and I often do!!!

Safety first....you should see the safety booster seat and sear belt my dog has for the car.

Be good to you
Rowyn

Old 2011-02-19, 5:02pm

Wow, that's pretty scary! My assumption (remember what they say about the word "assume") would be that the cylinder weld is so critical that the manufacturer would doing everything possible to assure sufficient weld penetration and such. Done properly, it should be near impossible to snap, shear or otherwise damage that fitting in a minor accident. The 15 ft-lbs described in the link is absurdly low. The link concerns MAPP gas, but I'm pretty sure nearly every propane cylinder I buy is also made by Worthington.

Tanks for 'da link!
Conrad