Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2020-08-30, 2:55pm

Question Glass blobs!!

As a beginner, I'm looking at a workbench of glass blobs on mandrels and off Before I throw them out, can anything be done with them? Heat them up make frit? When do you save glass and when do you immediately put into the garbage as your not satisfied with them? Aggie
Old 2020-08-30, 3:24pm

The bead release would be an issue for making frit.
Old 2020-08-30, 6:08pm
Phill

I have drawn off glass from fugly beads in the past and managed to get about half the glass back to use again.

I have also melted a good deal of glass off a bead and let it puddle on my tiled work bench and then turned the puddle in to frit by attaching a punty, melting the blob and giving it a water anneal bath in my dunk bowl.

But the bead release will make the rest of the blob on the mandrel a problem.

When you look at how much gas and time you use trying to "recover" glass from them it really is not worth the effort.
Maybe if it was the more expensive silver glass the little you can get back might be worth the effort.

Lots of 'fugglies' wind up as potted plant companions.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2020-08-30 at 6:10pm.
Old 2020-08-30, 7:48pm
Slogan Challenged...

Not worth the effort, as Phil said....except for the pricey colors, or ones you might use all the time that you can easily pick out. But seriously, the time you spend vs the $$ you save is not worthwhile.
As a beginner, use a lot of inexpensive glass, and prewarm your rods in a warmer, the kiln or the flame before using. Doesn't stop that completely but it can help.
You should see mine right now. Needs a good cleanup for sure.
As for the beads, I would save your first few just for sentimental reasons. Save the ones you like and you can get in the habit of tossing the rest or donating them, or making something with them. You'll thank yourself later.
Enjoy

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2020-08-31, 10:49pm
Phill

Remember that although you CAN get glass to melt and remelt a few times, that glow that it makes in the flame is sodium burning off as a gas.

And there will be other gases burning off as well.
That is going to change the chemical make up the rescued glass.

After a few meltings even the softest glass will get stiffer on you and may not cool properly during annealing like the other soft glass you are working with so "rescued glass" could ruin a good bead by cracking the other glass you melt with it into a new bead.

If you are lucky you might a 'second life' out rescued glass.

Oh and while we are talking about it, playing in the flame for an extremely long time can also 'change the chemistry' of a blob of glass in a similar fashion.

I do highly recommend 'playing with glass' in the flame when you are just starting out with this addiction but don't invest your heart into your first works of art unless you get a fresh start with another section of the rod once you figure out how you want to get something predictable to happen.

The over worked glass can get a 'water anneal' and be turned into frit which can then be reused in another bead following the 5 to 10% guidelines.
Old 2020-09-01, 3:19am
Slogan Challenged...

Phil is exactly right, as usual. I didn't think of that.

But honestly, glass is one of the least expensive things about this, since you don't use a lot per bead. I am full time, and I only buy glass a couple of times a year. The speciality/silver glass stuff, or dichro, now that is spendy! But your time is worth a lot, too.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2020-09-20, 11:41am

Thank you everyone! I have been throwing my glass "blobs" away and I have less and less each day. I have been reframing from buying the pretty more expensive glass while I'm still perfecting my bead shapes. I think I have most of the tools and supplies I need for awhile (LIAR lol) so for now it's practice, reading, watching video's. Thanks again Aggie