Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-09-24, 10:37pm

Default Workspace Sideways??

I have a ventilation system set up in my garage. I face a wall and the ventilation hood is above.
I want to make a second work station to the right of the one I have now. The only way I can do this is if it faces sideways. Is this type of setup ok. I want one set up for soft and the other for boro. Only one would be used at a time.

Oh and while I am at it What is the proper setup for a standing height work bench. Should the counter hit the bottom of my elbows? What is most comfortable standing long periods of time?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-09-26, 6:41am

Bump! Help!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-09-26, 8:53am
Lampworker

i made mine at 35" and i enjoy sitting or standing at my torch. but sitting i made arm rests which make it a lot eaiser to sit.
Old 2007-09-26, 11:19am

The 'stand up' benches in my lab are all 36", which is standard for this sort of application. Since you are building your own custom setup you can make adjustments for your height.

Robert
Old 2007-09-27, 9:01am

My bench is 36" off the ground. I have a drafting chair that is higher and has a footrest, and separate arm rests for when I want to sit, but can also work standing. I'm 5'9" and this works perfectly for me. As Robert said, since you're making it yourself you can customize it any way that works for you.

I'm curious - why do you need a whole separate bench for boro? I only do soft glass so I'm not knowledgeable about boro; inquiring minds like to know .

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2007-09-27, 10:46am

I can't see why it would be a problem to work at a 90 degree angle on the second station. Just make sure that the vent hood is still in the proper position to catch the fumes (edge of hood at end of or over torch body) and you should be fine.

I assuming that you either are using a different torch, or want to keep some of your glass and tools at the workstation all the time. I would be sure to clean either bench up after use though since the little slivers of glass can migrate a fair distance especially that exploding moretti stuff and contaminate your other workplace.

Your bench height can be the same, but you might find that you want to mount your torch on a cement tile or other block to raise it up to a good standing height for you. This also makes it easier to maneuver punties around under the torch flame.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2007-09-27, 12:14pm

Diane I'm I don't want to clean my bench up every time I sit down. I like to keep lots of glass and frits out.

Paul I was thinking of a little pony wall to keep stuff where its supposed to be. Thanks for the help. I couldn't think of why it wouldn't work either. I thought it might be better actually to not face a wall and have the vapors flying back at me.
Thanks all!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-10-02, 7:27am

I use 104, 96 and boro. To keep them separate without putting each rod back where it belongs (which is what I should do...lol) I have cookie trays that I load up with a specific coe when I change. That way it doesn't take too long to make the switch. I can stack the trays, or if the studio is clean, put each tray on a shelf.

have fun!!

Mary
Old 2007-10-02, 7:31am

Thanks Mary! Thats a great idea. I have big old ones with sides on them. I wonder if I can get this by my kids that I need the cookie sheets (trays) for my glass.

Heidi

~~
~~