Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-10-04, 10:06am
Keep on keepin' on...

Question Has anyone purchased this bead liner?

I am wanting to buy a bead liner asap. I ran across this one while searching and was wondering if anyone has purchased and used this? If you have, what are your thoughts? Love it? Hate it?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/98657038...earch_type=all

I'm torn between buying this one or the Impress. My budget says no to the Nortel unfortunately.

Thanks for your input!

Brandy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-10-04, 11:01am
Tweedle Dumb

I don't know, but it looks like a dapping set up, with special dies. I sorta want to see it in action. Maybe I'm not imagining it correctly. I didn't do a dapping set up because I didn't like the noise, and I was always soo nervous whacking around a bead.

That said, I love my Impress.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-10-04, 11:11am
No Longer an LE Member

Yea it sure would be nice to have an area for the bead to sit in while your wacking on it !
Old 2012-10-04, 11:24am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I don't know if PerfectDeb has used hers but she was given one to try at the Gathring. Perhaps she will jump in and report.
Old 2012-10-04, 12:08pm
Tweedle Dumb

I assume it sits on the other die. Like a twisting set up, with out the twisting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyregallerie View Post
Yea it sure would be nice to have an area for the bead to sit in while your wacking on it !

Old 2012-10-04, 2:27pm
Keep on keepin' on...

I want something easy to use. I was leaning towards Impress when I found this. I like that its compact. It looks to me that one die sits in the hole in the dapping block and I assume the other die attaches to the handle. I also hope Perfectdeb has used hers and can chime in.

Old 2012-10-04, 3:05pm
offically down under

To me, it looks like you're going to need to purchase a rawhide mallet so you'll need to factor in that price. So, in the end, you aren't going to be saving much money over the Impress which you know has a great reputation.

Old 2012-10-04, 3:13pm
Tweedle Dumb

I also multi-task (multi-waste-time?) when I'm coring beads. I watch tv, sometimes in bed, and core. I don't think you could do that with this tool.

Then again, I like being able to justify watching tv for 2-3 hours. HEY I'M WORKIN HERE! You may not have that problem.

Old 2012-10-04, 3:35pm
Keep on keepin' on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
I also multi-task (multi-waste-time?) when I'm coring beads. I watch tv, sometimes in bed, and core. I don't think you could do that with this tool.

Then again, I like being able to justify watching tv for 2-3 hours. HEY I'M WORKIN HERE! You may not have that problem.
Jamie you've pretty much sold me on the Impress. I haven't done alot of reading on coring since I really wasn't ready to order one. I bought a ton of tubing thinking I could hand core, not so much. So unless perfectdeb has something amazingly wonderful to say about the riveter, I'm going with the Impress. Now I just need to go measure tubing ect. and make sure I get the right dies. I missed art in the round free shipping sale bummer, but I believe thats what I'm going to go with.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Old 2012-10-04, 4:19pm
Keep on keepin' on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
To me, it looks like you're going to need to purchase a rawhide mallet so you'll need to factor in that price. So, in the end, you aren't going to be saving much money over the Impress which you know has a great reputation.
You are right, after more research there is a few things I will need to purchase including the rawhide mallet. So, Impress it is going to be. There is a tutorial on the website showing how to use this riveter that I somehow missed. I'm sure its easier than dapping by hand without the pegs, but its the same principle.

Old 2012-10-04, 4:34pm
offically down under

The whole trick with the Impress is to go slow. 3/4 turn for the first go, and then 1/2 turn a few times and then to 1/4 turn until the bead doesn't move. Also, I find that if you cut your tubing around 2.40 mm, you have a slightly smaller lip but less chance of splitting. Practice with cooper tubing until you are confident making sure that you have nice level beads to start with. A wonky bead will not yield a good effect.