Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-06-21, 4:25pm

Default bell flower press and frit question

Does anyone know if I can get away with using my coe 96 frits on 104 bases with my bell flower press? Will the smash factor make it more like encasing and make them prone to compatibility issues? And is everyone taking off chill marks on these flowers? I noticed I am not getting all of them off and wondered what the opinion on that is. Thanks
Old 2013-06-22, 2:01am
what's a senior moment ?

I've used frit on bell flowers before with no problem at all.
As for chill marks, not sure I've seen them yet but if you put the flower back in the flame too long, you'll lose the definition of the points and the outer outline of the "petals" could be lost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-06-22, 5:29am
Lampworkaholic!

Frit is fine on bell flowers. I don't fire polish.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-06-22, 7:56am
Queen Bee

Elizabeth, can you tell me how you got the frit to show on the inside of the flower? When I do them, I roll the gather in frit, melt it a bit and press. The frit always seems to show on just the outside of the flower, not in the inside. Any help is appreciated

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2013-06-22, 8:11am
what's a senior moment ?

May I intrude Donna ? It sounds like maybe you're not using enough frit or not melting it in all the way ? Whenever I use frit with the presses I always melt it in all the way and it always shows on the inside of the flower as well as the outside just like in the photo above. There really is no trick to it at all. Not in my experience anyway.

Old 2013-06-22, 8:21am
Queen Bee

Well thanks Debbie, I'll try that! I do tend to not melt it in all the way, because the blob starts getting away from me, lol. I'm making a big blob on the rod, dipping it in frit, melting a bit and carefully trying to wind it on my wire. Not so easy. I'm using copper wire, and I have found that if I make a ball at the end of the wire, it gives me a bit more to grab onto the glass. But it's still a bit tricky. Maybe there is an easier way??

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2013-06-22, 8:55am

not trying to remove focus from your question but have to comment on how beautiful Elizabeth's beads are. bell flowers seem to be real popular right now. AWSOME BUNCHES OF BELL FLOWERS elizabeth!
Old 2013-06-22, 10:19am
MacGalver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post
Well thanks Debbie, I'll try that! I do tend to not melt it in all the way, because the blob starts getting away from me, lol. I'm making a big blob on the rod, dipping it in frit, melting a bit and carefully trying to wind it on my wire. Not so easy. I'm using copper wire, and I have found that if I make a ball at the end of the wire, it gives me a bit more to grab onto the glass. But it's still a bit tricky. Maybe there is an easier way??
From your description, I would guess that once you get the blob of glass off the rod and onto the wire, you will have at least a small gap in the frit coverage where the end of the rod was burnt off. This is likely to be in the center of the blob, and so ends up on the inside when you press the flower. Does that make sense?

My suggestion would be to dip the blob in frit again after you get it on the wire, and melt it in however much you want before pressing.

Jo

Old 2013-06-22, 11:24am
what's a senior moment ?

Donna I didn't realize you were making the ball of glass on the rod then dipping in frit THEN adding to the wire. You have to add the glass to the wire first then dip in frit and melt in then press.
You can loop the end of the wire you're putting the glass on to help hold the glass in place. When I cut my wire, I always add a tiny loop.
If you're still having problems with adding the glass to the wire, watch Lori Greenberg's video on You Tube. It helps.
You'll get the hang of it.

Old 2013-06-22, 11:25am

Your flowers are gorgeous!

I have been afraid to use my 96 coe frits with this but now I am going to go crazy. I have almost all of the Dazzlings line from Arrow Springs. This will be fun. Thanks!
Old 2013-06-22, 1:27pm
Lampworkaholic!

Thanks everyone! Yes, I make the gather on the head pin, then roll it in the frit and melt in.

When I put the hot gather into the press, I invert the press so the gather is facing upward. I let it settle and center for a second or two before I press.

That gets the frit on the inside of the flower Then I pop it right into the kiln.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox