No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-01-06, 11:09pm
Entropy increasing....

Default Opal Brown frit....

.....what am I supposed to do with this stuff?
Old 2006-01-06, 11:21pm
Happy 10 a.m.!

um - send it to me! I've never heard of it but is sure sounds interesting!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mega Minor w/propane, tanked oxy and humor
Old 2006-01-06, 11:25pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda's Beads
um - send it to me! I've never heard of it but is sure sounds interesting!
I just bought it at Frantz today. I don't know what it's supposed to do. I tested it on an ivory bead and it just looks brown.
Old 2006-01-06, 11:26pm
Happy 10 a.m.!

is it a reduction frit?

Mega Minor w/propane, tanked oxy and humor
Old 2006-01-06, 11:37pm
HourGlass Studio

Is this the new light brown raku frit ????

Old 2006-01-06, 11:39pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie L
Is this the new light brown raku frit ????
Beats me. It's sort of brown chips with some grey chips mixed in there. I was with the Reichenbach frits.
Old 2006-01-06, 11:42pm
Entropy increasing....

No, I think it's the Kugler Opal brown reduction.
Old 2006-01-07, 5:52am

Here are hollows and a bead set I made with Golden Brown Reduction frit. I love it! If you reduce it briefly, you get violet blue, if you reduce it more, you'll get gold, if you fully reduce it, it is bronze. If you just leave it on the surface, it's a nice textual effect in brown.
Attached Images

Old 2006-01-07, 3:09pm
Surrounded by Trouble

OMG Cindy what stunning beads. Looks like there is another frit out that that I don't have but HAVE to have.

Here I thought Kevan was talking about Iris Dr. Brown R-106, but it looks like you have the colors she is talking about.

Would you care to share the number of the Golden Brown Reduction frit? Please!
Would it be K-215? I had that frit number on an order I was going to place right before the Holidays but than realized I would have to wait till after my shopping was all finished to buy more frit.

Old 2006-01-07, 3:23pm
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Shawn, Golden brown is R-215
I have it too and I LOVE it... I have size 00 and it's just perfect

Old 2006-01-07, 7:33pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Thanks Liz, I meant to type R-215 and not K. Opps, that is exactly what I thought it was. I have a tiny bit I got from a friend and love this frit.

Old 2006-01-07, 8:04pm
Entropy increasing....

Well the Frantz site is down now, but it says on the package Opal Brown Reduction frit and it has a stock number461139.
Old 2006-01-07, 10:19pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Ok, so Golden brown is R-215... but Kevan has something different, right?
She has Opal brown. Am I confused?
I wanna see what it looks like... Make a bead and show us Kevan!

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2006-01-07, 10:30pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelly
Ok, so Golden brown is R-215... but Kevan has something different, right?
She has Opal brown. Am I confused?
I wanna see what it looks like... Make a bead and show us Kevan!
Ok It's supposed to be a reduction frit so I will reduce it and see what it does.
Old 2006-01-08, 1:24am
Entropy increasing....

Ok, I think it's this - the Reichenback Opal Brown R-130

This is a picture of two beads I made from it. The top one is opal yellow and I cooked it. It looks kinda like metallic grey.The bottom is lt. amber and I reduced it. It just looks like brown.

Old 2006-01-08, 3:00am
im Loving it!

Is it Opal Dark Brown, what people are calling the New Raku?

If so, I dont get much else but brown either.....

Im sure I saw another thread about it somewhere, saying that it was quite reactive like raku!

Jenny

PS sorry, I wasnt actually much help there was I?
Old 2006-01-08, 3:41am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

do you have a picture of the frit itselve? I just got some really cool stuff from Reichenbach ( frit and rod) and this stuff is Tha Bomb! If it is the same I have some real nice tips for you

Old 2006-01-08, 3:50am
im Loving it!

Just found the code no for mine, its Iris Opal Dark Brown 106. Different to yours Kevan..sorry!
Old 2006-01-08, 12:46pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne
do you have a picture of the frit itselve? I just got some really cool stuff from Reichenbach ( frit and rod) and this stuff is Tha Bomb! If it is the same I have some real nice tips for you
I could take one. It's not a reddish brown in the frit state, it's sort of a soft brown with flecks of greyish stuff in it. R-130 is the number.
Old 2006-01-08, 3:18pm

Thanks, Shawn! I got this from Val, it's the Golden Brown Frit - not sure which furnace glass it is.

If you're using this frit, it will reduce in stages - to keep it brown, just heat enough to adhere it to the glass. If you want to get the purpley-violet, you turn down the oxy slightly and just wave the frit in the flame - watch what you're doing because the purple-violet is just the beginning of the reduction and you'll lose it very quickly. You don't need a full reduction flame to get the purple. To get the gold, you turn down the oxy more and wave the frit in the flame a few more times.

I assume you all know how to go to bronze - full reduction. Try the above with the frit you have and see if it will do the same thing.

Cindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn T
OMG Cindy what stunning beads. Looks like there is another frit out that that I don't have but HAVE to have.

Here I thought Kevan was talking about Iris Dr. Brown R-106, but it looks like you have the colors she is talking about.

Would you care to share the number of the Golden Brown Reduction frit? Please!
Would it be K-215? I had that frit number on an order I was going to place right before the Holidays but than realized I would have to wait till after my shopping was all finished to buy more frit.

Old 2006-01-08, 5:29pm

I LOVE the new raku! The frits colour is as in this link
http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...cID=22&pID=368

But if you work it like you would normal raku (ie very hot and cool). you can get some thing like this:

HTH
Cheers
Nancy

Old 2006-01-08, 10:40pm

This has been around for along time, it doesn't react quite as stronlgy as R108 but you can get some good colors out of it, I find it works best on dark bases.
Old 2006-01-09, 6:26am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I think this is the same stuff I have, I bought it and it was called shoeshine. Try it on czech Ivory, it really does magic! Slowy melt in, cool down a bit and then cook the snot out of it, you will find some devit at first but that burns off easily I'll try to make some pictures of my beads this week

Old 2006-01-09, 6:08pm

You can get good colors out of any of the iris frits also.
Old 2011-05-15, 11:57am

I'm reviving this thread to see if anyone has any further info about Reichenbach Opal Brown R-130? Pretty please? I'm hoping it's not just a WYSIWYG...
Thanks

You can't shine if you don't burn
Old 2011-05-17, 7:14pm

I just got some of this also and am not sure what else to do to it to get anything but, well, brown.
Here is a bead that has the opal brown around the middle. I also have a light tobacco that I don't have a clue about. The darker brown streaks around the middle are the opal brown and the lighter tanner ones are the light tobacco.

Old 2011-05-18, 3:48pm

That's a pretty bead, Sonja. I love the foxy colour in the middle.

You can't shine if you don't burn
Old 2011-05-18, 7:53pm
Ave

I think it is pretty much just brown.. here is the link..
http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...cID=22&pID=379
Ave

Old 2011-05-18, 7:55pm

All of the Kuglar reduction frits are amazing. I use them all of the time.
The Copper Ruby is STUNNING!

Old 2011-05-19, 1:43pm

Guess I will have to play with it a bit more.
Thanks Ness, That is the opal brown, it is a pretty organic color.