Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-01-31, 2:42pm
Satake Woman!

Default Satake colors A-01 through A-16

As some of you know, we (DH and I) are getting ready to start selling Satake glass. Well Chris has been hard at work editing pictures so you can see how pretty this is. So without further ado, here are colors A-01 through A-16.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-01-31, 6:29pm
im Loving it!

Ooooooo nice colours....... Love green and theres some real pretty ones!

Jenny
Old 2006-01-31, 7:26pm

I really like the A4 and A5, olive green, yummers. Some of those colors look a lot like the Opalino and Alabastro glass from Effetre (ie pale yellow) Very pretty. Keep them coming.

L

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-01-31, 7:46pm
dances with ideas...

Beautiful blues and greens. What more could I ask for?
What is the COE of Satake?
Does it play well with any other kinds of glass?

Old 2006-02-01, 1:18am
Glass Addict!

Satake is a VERY Soft glass
Leaded 120 COE
Soda 113 COE
I love it.
Diana

Old 2006-02-01, 2:11am
Cheerfully Profane

Ooooh Jo! When can I come buy some? Yippeeeeeee! A glass supplier within driving distance. And sold by the nicest person.

I don't think I can get any luckier....

Rebekah
Old 2006-02-01, 5:22am
A True Woofer

So exactly how melty is it? Does it melt in your mouth and not in your hand? Just kidding. I hear it's great for hothead users, but how would it do with a Lynx for example? I'm just curious. I love the colors. I always want more glass, but do I need another COE?

Old 2006-02-01, 5:38am

The greens and blues are lucious! I'm getting frustrated on my hothead these days--either need a hotter torch or softer glass, hmmmmm. maybe time to try Satake!
Old 2006-02-01, 6:32am
Satake Woman!

Not having a Lynx, I can't tell you how melty it would be. I'm using it on a minor with 1 concentrator, and it melts FAST. I've used it on a HH and it melts like buttah. And wait till you see all the PINKS!!!! I also have a vendor forum over at AGF http://www.artglassforum.com/forums/...splay.php?f=65
where I have been posting lots of tech info.

Old 2006-02-01, 1:46pm

Out of curiosity I bought some Satake rods from Arrow Springs. O Boy O Boy! They are soft! I use Minor and they were dripping onto my table faster than I can spin my mandrel. I gave up and they are just decorating my table now. When I go to Japan next time, I intend to take one of the workshops there and learn from the Japanese how they use them. I have a feeling, though, that they use completely different kind of torches and feul system.
Old 2006-02-01, 3:40pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Those are excellent pictures, Jo! You might just tempt me into buying some. I just need to get off my lazy butt and input another annealing schedule into my controller! And I know when you post the pinks all hope of holding out will be lost

Old 2006-02-02, 11:28am
Glassy Lady

Isn't Satake wonderful? I love their colors.

Tips for working Satake:

Use a very small flame. This is especially important for the pinks, otherwise you will burn out the color.

Satake stays soft much longer than any other glass (except for Kinari) that I have ever worked. Don't over heat it and keep rotating the mandrel far longer than you would with Effetre/Vetrofond.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2006-02-02, 1:42pm

Are the one you posted the the soda or the lead glass? I have some of the soda lime glass at home but not all those nice colors.

Can you recommend an annealing temperature? I annealed a few with my effetre and I know that doesn't work.

If you are selling the leaded glass, do you think we need to take special precautions because of the lead content? I know I have been a bit leery of using leaded glass in quantity.
Old 2006-02-02, 5:41pm
Satake Woman!

My understanding from Satake is that the lead content isn't any greater than that you would find in, say, Gaffer glass. Good ventilation is always important but I don't think you would need much extra.

Satake Glass offers two types of glasses: lead and soda. Lead has a COE of 120, and soad a COE of 113.

Both can be used similarly, but mixture of the two in the base of a bead is not recommended. The mixed COE bead may be subject to cracking. There is no problem adding dots or placing small amounts of glass to the surface of one type of Satake to the other kind of Satake glass.

Here is the annealing schedule recommended by Satake glass:
Anneal at 890°F for 10-20 minutes. Lower to 750°F, 20 minutes for small bead, 1 hour for large bead. Lower to 390°F for 2 hours. Turn off and cool to room temperature.

In my kiln, I find that 890°F is a bit high and I tend to get flat spots. I garage my beads at 850°F, raise the temperature to 885°F for 1 hour, then cool at a rate 100°F drop per hour. This works quite well for me. The beads can be cooled in vermiculite and batch annealed.

WARNING: Satake glass stays soft much longer than other brands of glass. So be sure it really is hard before you put it in the kiln, fiber blanket, or vermiculite.

Old 2006-02-04, 10:00am
Fusing Glass

Hey Jo, where are you selling this on your site? do you have it on your site yet or only at art glass forumn?
Old 2006-02-04, 10:10am
Satake Woman!

Mary,

Right now I have only a tiny bit. Once Chris finishes getting the pictures up I will take "preorders". Well, they are preorders in the sense that you will tell me what you want, and I will order it from Japan, then it will take 2 months for it to get to me. They won't be preorders in that we won't be asking for any money when you tell us what you want.

Old 2006-02-04, 2:15pm
Glassy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmaw
Mary,

Right now I have only a tiny bit. Once Chris finishes getting the pictures up I will take "preorders". Well, they are preorders in the sense that you will tell me what you want, and I will order it from Japan, then it will take 2 months for it to get to me. They won't be preorders in that we won't be asking for any money when you tell us what you want.

Jo, there is a Satake glass distributor here in the US, they're located in southern California. You might consider ordering from them. I've ordered from them and they're very quick to ship.

http://www.satakeglassusa.com/

Old 2006-02-04, 2:20pm
Satake Woman!

Alex, that is true, they have excellent service and they are where we got our initial packs. However wholesale orders come directly from Japan instead of through California, hence the 2 month wait.

Old 2006-02-04, 3:09pm
Glassy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmaw
Alex, that is true, they have excellent service and they are where we got our initial packs. However wholesale orders come directly from Japan instead of through California, hence the 2 month wait.
Thanks, I didn't know that.

Old 2006-02-05, 1:16am
Glass Addict!

I live about 5 miles of the USA Satake warehouse.
About every 3 to 4 months I do a bulk buy to get the best price I have to order over 22 #.

With Jo selling it I guess I won't be doing Bulk Buys soon.
Its a great glass with 160 different colors.
Diana

Old 2006-02-05, 6:39am
Satake Woman!

Diana, you can still do your bulk buys. That way you don't have to pay shipping from SC.