No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-08-11, 3:56am
Formerly NurseKatie :)

Default Ideas for me to organize/inspire

Ok, so I finally have a place to torch. The only thing that stays at the studio for the moment is my kiln. I use Annette's torch, propane and oxycon, so that is there. But everything else I have to keep in my car and set up each time. Space is limited, everytime I go in my "space" is taken up with stuff that I have to move and each time it seems like I get less and less space to work. My lowly 3 pounds of glass is in a basket, what frits I have are in a cosmetic case in baggies. I also have a knitting needle carrying case that I keep partially used rods in plus my silver foil. I have a case for my tools.

I am an organized person and I try to get set up so that I can be creative, but I think that somehow I am getting my muse blocked because of the working conditions.

I am trying to think of how I can use my situation the way it is (at some point I may be able to have a small space to set up my glass and leave it there, then I could buy more glass) I may be able to get a ice cube tray to keep stringers in (I hate spending the first hour of torching making stringers, but they just break if I try to keep them now).

Any other thoughts, maybe create a binder of what I want to make to help keep me inspired? I am afraid to take my laptop and have hot glass pop on it, so my tuts are not helpful right now. I could print them out and keep them in a binder.

Just trying to think this out. My dissertation has to take priority, so when I do get my torch time, I want it to be worthwhile. Maybe I should do a newbie challenge type thing where I go back to basics and make 50 spacers, 50 dot beads, 50 jester beads....etc......I am frustrated that I couldn't get back on the torch and be at the same skill level that I was 4 years ago. I may need to give up on that and pretend I am a newbie again or I might not ever make anything worthy on a regular basis!

Just looking for ideas........sorry this turned out to be so long!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-08-11, 5:01am

I would definitely create a binder of tutorials, (I personally would laminate them so they last longer) and also pictures of beautiful beads for inspiration. I use the long tube ice trays to keep stringers in and also my shorts.....wonder if you could use one of the ice trays as a lid to keep the stringers from breaking during transport?
Old 2011-08-11, 11:25am
Somewhat out there!

I was sent a secret santa and the stringers were packaged in a plastic travel toothbrush holder. I thought that was perfect. A paper towel in there kept them from rattling around

Julianne
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-08-11, 7:15pm
dances with ideas...

Consider taking a limited selection of glass colors, frits, etc and change it when you feel like it?

Old 2011-08-11, 11:04pm
I'm meeeeelting

I'd suggest a bag with wheels that you can keep organized - maybe a roll aboard suitcase with containers inside of it for different things you want to carry.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-08-12, 2:44am
Formerly NurseKatie :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
I'd suggest a bag with wheels that you can keep organized - maybe a roll aboard suitcase with containers inside of it for different things you want to carry.
That isn't a bad idea, I could feel more organized with something like that! I could probably even get some tubes for glass colors to keep them seperated.......ohhh......

Thanks, you all are giving me great ideas to help unblock my muse! I know I can't have MY studio, where I have a nice rack of glass at my fingertips, etc.

But a rolling studio........that might help!

Old 2011-08-12, 3:12am
Resident hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseCatie View Post
I know I can't have MY studio, where I have a nice rack of glass at my fingertips, etc.
I'm going to invite you to stop 'knowing' this Catie. Everything's possible - especially if you keep an open mind about the possibilities.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman