No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2012-04-09, 1:20pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Default Do I actually need a hood?

Okay, we have the fan in the wall, the insulation and paneling is up, and we'll be putting the loft floor/torch alcove ceiling in this week. Here's the picture (taken before walls, unfortunately) with the bench painted in to show how it will look when it's finished.

So the area above the bench, below the loft, and between the side walls is essentially a box measuring 7.5' wide, 3' high, and 2 1/2' deep. The fan is centered between the 2 torches, just to the right of center, 4" below the ceiling.

The fan is 3 speed, and claims to run from a low of 1350CFM to a high of 2280CFM. (Here's the link to the fan: http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hv...hutter-3-speed )

So, my question is this: Given that the bench enclosure basically amounts to a 56 cubic foot box, and assuming the fan produces any where near the advertised CFM, do I actually need any kind of hood? Or will the fan just pull enough air without one? There's no loss to ducting - it's straight through the wall to the outside.

Obviously, once the bench is in I'll do a smoke test to see, but just curious what ya'll think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-04-09, 1:59pm
Salt Box Beads

Pat, it is about capturing the fumes and then extracting them. A Barley type box or open faced hood with a front baffle ideal for this.

You can do anything else you want but most safety gurus and in depth tests show the above to be the best extraction system
Old 2012-04-09, 4:36pm
Queen Bee

I'm interested in this answer as well - if you have a barley box, can't you have the ducting come out straight through the top of the Barley box and eliminate the need for a hood?

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2012-04-09, 4:39pm
Salt Box Beads

Barley box is synonymous with hood. A hood really is likened to a stove range hood or other over head fume capturing system. A Barley Box style hood enclosure is an exaggerated hood system.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2012-04-09 at 4:42pm.
Old 2012-04-09, 6:46pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

The cubic feet of the 'hood' is not what you base the fan size on. Base it on the square feet of opening. Thus you have 22.5 (7.5 X 3) square feet X the minumum accepted factor of 100 and you get 2250 CFM fan needed. If you were to drop a 1' (12") curtin from the ceiling all the way across just in a little from where your head will be you have only 15 square feet X 100 = 1500 CFM. Very close to your fan specs. Depending on your height the curtin may or may not get in your way...and it provides a convenient place to hang tools and stuff.
And/or perhaps a storage unit on each side against the walls to cut the measurment down by another 2 feet. Then you have 5.5 x 2 x 100 = 1100 CFM or 5.5 x 3 x 100 = 1600 CFM. All very close to what your fan size is.

Sometimes we get hung up on definitions and don't see the obvious that the constrained end of your studio is in fact a sort of hood. Sounds like it will work to me.

Last edited by cheng076; 2012-04-09 at 6:50pm.
Old 2012-05-21, 3:58am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Default Oh, yeah, it works!

Final update on the fan installation - it works INCREDIBLY well! It passes the smoke test even on the lowest speed, and on the high speed it's amazing.

Here's a pic of the finished installation - for more see the studio thread here:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=220718

I walked past that end of the shed outside while the fan was running the other night, to turn off the propane at the tank, and thought "Man, the wind is really whipping out here" - then realized it wasn't the wind, it was the fan!

VERY happy with how this worked out! And thanks again to you safety mavens for making me aware of the importance of getting this right, and for all the help navigating through the process.

L-111

Old 2012-05-21, 10:08am
Curmudgeon Engineering

That's looking good!
Old 2012-05-22, 9:17am
honorary bead lady

Just a heads up, your shed is covered with OSB smart panel siding

MAKE SURE that all the cut edges around the fan are caulked and painted, also make sure that the bottom edge of the panels are painted
Old 2012-05-23, 4:26am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

David - we've been really careful about sealing any openings. This is actually the 12th one of these Amish barns we've purchased, so we've had a lot of experience with the siding. We have another tall barn at the house - Hubby's shed is 12x24 - and we've been involved with the purchase of 10 more for a gun club we belong to. Some of them are over 15 years old, and they hold up incredibly well here, especially given our horrible climate. The only thing that tends to fail is the plywood doors - they eventually start to warp.

But then, my shed is the only one of the lot that has all the exposed wood painted out, all the rest have been left plain wood on the interior, other than the floors.

L-111

Old 2012-05-23, 1:20pm
Queen Bee

So, just to clarify, is the answer "no" you do not need a hood? And if so, is it because you are using a hothead, rather than a full size torch and doing boro, etc? Or is the set up sufficient as it is for the size of the studio? I have a 12 x16 shed I'm finishing off, and it has come to a stand still because I'm unsure what to do for ventilation. Thanks!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Old 2012-05-24, 12:24pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Donna,

From what I read you do not need a hood. The Barley box serves that purpose.

The purpose of a hood is to more effectively 'collect' the contaminated air and direct it to the exhaust fan/ducting most efficiently. The size of the studio really has no bearing on the hood size nor does the type of torch. Maybe think of it this way. The hood is an inverted funnel that leads to the outside where bad stuff is disbursed and diluted. The torch is a container of contaminants that flows upward due to the heat effect and to the air flow induced by the fan. The funnel needs to be only large enough to catch all the flow. The flow needs to be only large enough that contaminants don't escape and mix back into your air. Notice I said your air. Ventilation is for your benefit... to keep your breathing air clean.

Not sure this makes any sence, I hope so.

PJH
Old 2012-05-24, 4:31pm
Queen Bee

Yes, thanks, it does make sense. I always thought you needed either a hood or a Barley box, but it appears the set up above has neither, and is still deemed a working solution. Which is why I was wondering

Donna

Old 2012-05-29, 5:35pm
Queen Bee

Nobody has an opinion? Would love to hear some, as I need to order my ventilation asap, and am considering this set up

Donna

Old 2012-05-30, 9:09am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Donna,
The setup above does not need a hood because the space is narrow, the bench extends the entire width of the room, and the ceiling is low enough and the fan big enough that the entire end of the room forms a 'hood' or confinement area as the above space does. This is a somewhat unique situation. Your studio, being 12' x 16', would not 'channel' the contaminants out of the working area.

I would;

A. Determine bench size. The actual working area of the bench if it is going to be larger than for one torch station; say 4' out of the center of an 8' or 12' bench as an example.

B. Size the hood to cover your working area wiith perhaps 6" setback in front for head room.

C. Calculate the CFM required based on the hood opening size and whether there are side curtins "Bailey Box style".

D. Fiqure out where the ducting, if needed, will go and how big it will be and how it will penetrate the walls, ceiling, window, etc.

E. Purchase a fan and ducting parts to meet the criteria above.

PJH

Last edited by cheng076; 2012-05-30 at 9:18am.
Old 2012-05-31, 6:46am
Queen Bee

Thanks so much! I didn't notice how narrow the above room was

Donna