LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2010-12-24, 12:58am
Newb boro fanatic

Unhappy Have I damaged my torch? :(

I think some of my oxy ports have become a bit blocked, and I can't clean them with a port cleaning wire... Do I need to send it back to GTT??

There's a silvery deposit on the face too... Maybe silver fuming too close to the face? Or just overheating?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-24, 5:15am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I had a bobcat for a while & it always seemed clogged. I was constantly cleaning it & decided I must have a bad one. I would love to know the answer to this.

Vivian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Old 2010-12-24, 9:14am
Gentleman of Leisure

My thought is you should send it in....

Looks to me the you have been running it with to little oxy/fuel pressure and flame did not "standoff' face enough and you overheated it...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-12-25, 10:24pm
Newb boro fanatic

Well, I'm pleased to report that it's all better now! I just cleaned the barrel with an ultrasonic clear, and carefully removed the metallic deposit form the face, and it's good as new! If I lived in America I would have sent it in, but I figured the ultrasonic cleaner was quite safe (summertime here so everything dries out quickly lol), and if it worked it saves me >4 weeks of waiting...

And I'll try to keep the candles longer from now on, and up my pressure at the regs.

Old 2011-01-19, 9:59pm
Formerly Bakerman44

not going to lie...that torch looked pretty miserable.. haha. I'm glad you got it fixed. I agree with dale...you've prob been running it a little soft and slow...if that flame is a must, it's prob a good idea to crank the crap out of it to clear the ports. also when cleaning the face of my torch i just cut the propane and let the oxy run, cooling the face for a couple min..then i brush the face...then oxy off and shut off the fuel tanks. i think raging the torch every now and then would behoove you. best of luck!

Old 2011-01-20, 5:11am
Grateful

I have clogged my torch with glass before and GTT was able to repair it. Costed $100 and a few weeks-just FYI. Glad you were able to fix it yourself.

Old 2011-01-20, 10:52am
Curmudgeon Engineering

You are burning the crap out of your torch!! Two suggestions;
1. Turn up the pressures at the regulators.
2. Crack open the oxy just a bit on the outer ring even when not using that ring.
Old 2011-01-22, 5:52pm

Are you using propane or butane? I know some lampworkers that only use butane and have trouble with gtt torches clogging with the butane.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2011-01-24, 3:41am
Newb boro fanatic

I'm on propane, but I have upped the psi, and candle length too. It seems happier now

Old 2011-01-24, 7:59am
Glassmangler

I am impressed it recovered without machining.
Old 2011-03-06, 4:42pm

See below.

"Its never to late to be what you might have been!"

Last edited by TabathaD; 2011-03-06 at 4:45pm. Reason: Quote didnt work?
Old 2011-03-06, 4:44pm

Default Is this the same Bobcat you sold to me?

Is this the Bobcat you just sold to me?
Tabatha

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianLampwork View Post
I had a bobcat for a while & it always seemed clogged. I was constantly cleaning it & decided I must have a bad one. I would love to know the answer to this.

"Its never to late to be what you might have been!"
Old 2011-03-06, 5:15pm

Tabitha, as I stated in my PM to you, this is the bobcat that my daughter's been using & a different torch. The bobcat I was talking about went home with one of my students. Also, that one was perfectly fine & there was nothing wrong with it. I was always having to clean it because of the type flame I use. My student that got that one never had a problem with it. Also, my daughter loves the bobcat I sold you.

I'm sorry now that I sold it to you. You posting here like this is cause for concern. As I told you, if you don't like the torch send it back for a refund.

I actually wish you would go ahead & return it as soon as you get if to avoid any problems. My daughter would love to have it back.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-03-07, 12:25pm

Well Tabitha decided she wanted a refund on the bobcat. For some reason I feel like she thinks I sold her a bad torch. I am VERY honest & there are plenty of people who can vouch for me. The torch I sold her was a wonderful torch & I'm sorry she felt the way she did. The other torch was fine as well. I just don't have good luck with a bobcat. I think I use to much propane when I torch.

Vivian

-