No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-10-12, 7:09pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Default What shaped beads?

I'm interested to know what shaped beads are everyone's favourites to make? Which focal bead shape do you like best? Which spacers?And if you have a shop, which shaped beads sell best? Are they they the same as what you like best, or is there a difference between what Joe Public like & what we, as glass makers like best?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MrsD; 2011-10-12 at 7:12pm.
Old 2011-10-12, 7:31pm
Glass Addict

I like making either realistic sculptural beads or semi-abstract organic, asymetrical beads. I am bored to tears thinking about having to make rounds, donuts, tabs or any other "typical/classic" bead shape/forms. If I need donut-spacer beads to string with a pendant I've made, I prefer to buy them from Michelle @ The Spacer Queen, Marshall Jodie or Julie Miller on etsy. Special, odd-shaped spacers I will make myself, but that's it.

I don't know what sells best... I make what I like to make and ONLY accept custom orders in the same style of bead I like to make. If someone likes it and buys it, GREAT, if not, somebody else will eventually...

Interesting thread... I am really interested to hear what others have to say, especially about what bead types sell best
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-10-13, 7:58pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Good question.

I don't have a favourite, although now that how to make hearts has 'clicked', I do a lot of those but in general, I just play around with whatever materialises on the mandrel. Hell, it's a year in two day's time, and I still can't do a decent donut!
Actually, wait. I do have a favourite which has been with me from day one - gloops! I always go back to gloops.

I don't have any specific shaping tools except a marver, a masher, tweezers and picks, so uniform beads aren't my thing - even if I did have presses to do sets etc.
I'm too 'freestyle' in anything I make, even knitting etc, so I prefer to just go with the flow

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-10-13, 8:31pm
Lampworkaholic!

I like to make long crunch pressed beads, cats, fish, plunged florals, hearts and egg-shaped beads. I also like to make beads on skeleton keys. I also like making sets of donut rounds because that is easy and relaxing for me.

As for what sells best, I have given up trying to figure that out. I may sell a ton of sets at one show and none the next, or a lot of beaded keys and then no beaded keys.

So, I make what I feel like making and as Joy said, if someone doesn't buy it someone else will.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-10-17, 6:51pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I love making doughnut beads with nice puckers. The more doughnutty the better. It feels like a failure when a bead ends up round. I have no idea why I want to force the glass into that shape, so don't ask.

Aesthetically speaking, I like lots of different shapes, from doughnut to round, from cube to lentil. I especially like animal sculpture beads, like the cute ones people make for BOC.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-10-17, 9:00pm
Unmedicated since '62

looooooong - Melanie suckered me into long a while back - its addictive
Attached Images

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-10-17, 10:29pm
one day at a time

Whatever is easiest for me and as long as they sell, that's all that matters. I don't stress myself with trying to keep up with everyone else.
Old 2011-10-18, 2:31am
Gimme that silver glass!

Lentils & focals (long, somewhat skinny crunch pressed focals are my fav). I just love the symmetric shape of a lentil and the pressed focal allows me to make more organic shapes. Can't say which one sells best, there's interest in both shapes I think.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-10-19, 9:18am

I'm finding that it isn't so much the shape as what's going on in the bead that sells. I love making multi dimensional lentils and tube/bicone focals or sets of lentils and decorated spacers. Sculptured fall beads (pumpkins, acorns, candy corn, owls) are going well now and I'm starting to develop some winter holiday beads for later this month.

Sallie

Inspired by Nature, Captured in Glass
Etsy store-not open at this time