No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-11-23, 8:07am
Jacqueline Parkes

Default Are your lentils lopsided?

For awhile now I have been experiencing issues with lop-sided lentils when creating my focals. I have to spend time evening out the bead after it is pressed with multiple presses. It has stumped me until today when I finally figured out why! It appears dumb now but I thought I would give a headsup in case this may help someone else.

I have been pressing on the left side of my creation station. Due to the weight you force while pressing, the creation station dips and the glass moves and in turn the left side of the bead becomes heavier. I just tried it on the table instead ( a little less handy) and the bead turned out perfectly balanced!

Phew, what a relief to figure this out finally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-11-23, 8:29am
Gimme that silver glass!

LOL, I can imagine it was frustrating! A good, solid underground is a must have for good shaped lentils indeed .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-11-23, 8:56am
Jacqueline Parkes

Yupp, too funny it took me awhile to figure it out. Tunnel vision I guess.

Old 2011-11-23, 9:00am
Loving learning

I don't have any presses or that type of thing, so I use Oneida ice tongs, and I have to smoosh, then turn the bead over or move the thick side closer to the edge & smoosh again if one side is thicker than the other.

I just figured I'd put that there for those who are using "use what you've got" like me, LOL
Old 2011-11-23, 5:27pm

I wish they made see thru presses. Then I could see what I am doing wrong.
My lentils come out lopsided at times. I quess I will just have keep PPP
Old 2011-11-23, 5:32pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Before doing the initial press, I will make sure the mass of glass is balanced and somewhat coolish on the mandrel. You want to ensure that it is no longer moving. Then I will do a quick press. Then back into the flame to reheat and press again. This way you know you have the same amount of glass on both sides of the bead.

Old 2011-11-23, 5:59pm
one day at a time

One of the most important things is to remember to keep turning the mandrel all the way up to placing the bead in to press it. Even after you have shaped your barrel, football, round, or whatever shape it is you press, the core of the bead is still molten enough to droop if you hesitate and don't turn for just a second.

The only pressed shape I make is the oval tab which starts off as a regular round donut bead which I press with the Coon Valley masher. I learned the 'turning the mandrel right up until the press' trick a long time ago when I was trying to figure out why my pressed ovals were thicker on one side than the other.
Old 2011-11-23, 7:14pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Great tips here, all
Thanks!

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-12-08, 8:31am
To bead Yeah! ;)

I have also found that when you line-up your bead in the press you must keep the mandrel in the centre of the press, if you press the mandrel down with your hands the bead will sit off centre. make sure the mandrel is also parallel in the press, don't hold it at an angle.

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2011-12-08, 2:16pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry m View Post
Do you think this is possible with like a poured boro?? That would be so cool!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-12-09, 1:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry m View Post
Which is why I've always preferred handheld presses that you can bring to eye level.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop