Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-04-20, 10:34am

Nope, I am not using any of those colors. I have been playing with NS yellow, NS orange, and an un-labled blue I got from Mr. Smiley. I think it might be turquese, but it could be a GA color.
Eric
Old 2006-04-20, 10:45am

kewl.
Never woulda guessed.
I find i work with the opaque colors vs the translucents.
B
Old 2006-04-20, 1:24pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Great colors!!! Do you ever get over the fact that you can be working with one color and when all is said and done, you end up with a variation???? It's a mystery....the alchemy of boro.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-04-20, 4:58pm

I really want to take a Henry Gimlet<--sp? class.
Im very curious about making color but kind of afraid of the nasty fumes. Id really like to educate myself at least a lil as to whats going on b4 i do.
B
Old 2006-04-20, 6:46pm
needs to light the torch.

I am just starting to play with boro, so far I really like it but DAMN it is HOT!!!!!

I made these last night...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-04-20, 8:42pm

Hiya Nicole!!
Looking good.
B
Old 2006-04-21, 9:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroburner
Hiya Nicole!!
Looking good.
B
Thanks!

Old 2006-04-21, 3:27pm

I made more last night!!!

NS Mystery Adventurine and clear

Raven and Caramel frit and clear

NS Nile and clear

Old 2006-04-21, 5:54pm
Nah, not really...;)

Great beads and fabulous crisp pictures...............I am jealous of the pictures!

Old 2006-04-21, 8:56pm
Ghost Town Glass

WOW!!!

Now my dh wants to play with boro....

Old 2006-04-21, 10:03pm

yes realy nice pics! wish i could gettem like that. Nice color combo with the raven and caramel. The halo around the caramel spots is sweet.
B
Old 2006-04-22, 10:55am
Old enough to know better

Beautiful beads and great photos! Did you use a tent? I just got a tent kit with 2 lights and it's the best! I was getting very frustrated trying to take photos with halogens or incadescent - the colors were awful and I always had trouble getting enough light to keep the flash from going off. World of difference!

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-22, 4:09pm
Nah, not really...;)

Pictures Tanya, pictures....

I want to see pictures of your work, please! I cannot wait until the BoroBox gets back to me to see the bead you put in for me, kaykay!

Old 2006-04-22, 5:26pm

Here is a beach landscape pendant I did yesterday with some of the NS Exotic's. The picture is crappy, but I like the way it turned out. (I still need to dig my photography lights out of storage so I can quit using that dang flash.)

Eric
Attached Images

Last edited by e. mort; 2006-04-22 at 5:30pm.
Old 2006-04-22, 7:02pm
Nah, not really...;)

Nice, very nice Eric.
Wow, you have come so far from your first posts in the Boro thread Smiley started.........Congrats!

Old 2006-04-22, 7:05pm

Eric that is beautiful!
I love the golden sand *sigh* makes me want to be on the beach...

Old 2006-04-22, 7:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya
Beautiful beads and great photos! Did you use a tent? I just got a tent kit with 2 lights and it's the best! I was getting very frustrated trying to take photos with halogens or incadescent - the colors were awful and I always had trouble getting enough light to keep the flash from going off. World of difference!
Hi Tanya, I use a photo cube with a light on each side.
I got my set up from TableTop Studio on ebay.
I priced it out at local shops and for all you get it worked out to be cheaper just to buy the set-up on ebay...
I do have a really nice camera though too.
I am a hobbiest photographer too

Old 2006-04-22, 7:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodTrailGlass
Nice, very nice Eric.
Wow, you have come so far from your first posts in the Boro thread Smiley started.........Congrats!
Thanks! Boro has been so interesting, that I haven't touched my moretti since I got it. The frustration factor for moretti was keeping it from breaking when doing sculptural stuff, but working the colors was so easy. The frustration factor for boro is getting consistant color, but keeping it from breaking is so easy. Hmmmm, guess I will find something to b*tch about no matter what, huh?

Eric
Old 2006-04-22, 7:34pm
Nah, not really...;)

I haven't gone back to soft since I stared Boro! I love it and there are so many possibilities! I looked back and I started just 3 months ago! Can you believe it!
Sometimes, I feel like I don't have enough time, but then I realize I've only just begun.

Old 2006-04-25, 8:01am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodTrailGlass
I haven't gone back to soft since I stared Boro! I love it and there are so many possibilities! I looked back and I started just 3 months ago! Can you believe it!
Sometimes, I feel like I don't have enough time, but then I realize I've only just begun.
I know the feeling. The only time I use any soft glass is when I'm teaching our beginning lampworking class. And when I do that, I have to make myself devote a couple of days before the class to just working with soft glass so I remember how.

Old 2006-04-25, 8:09am
Old enough to know better

Know what you both mean. Carrie - it does seem amazing that I first worked with boro in January. And I know what you mean about time. Sometimes I get completely overwhelmed with the possibilities from even one or two colors. Encase, unencase, oxidized, reduced, stiking temp, striking time, weather conditions, moon phase... to name a few. I'm getting much better at documenting - I write down every bead now, colors, decorating techniques, annealing and holding temps, etc.

Chad - I'm getting ready to take a soft glass course with Lisa St. Marting in two weeks. I was wondering if I should play with some soft glass before hand to get used to it again. My kids (ages 9 and 11) will be taking intro bead making courses in May as well. I've helped them make a couple of beads, but we used boro. I think in some ways it's easier and safer for beginners, especially kids, because it melts more slowly and doesn't pop nearly as much.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-25, 8:11am

I go back and forth from boro to soda lime, im in a soda lime phase now, working on the human form and playing with blowing moretti of the end of a stainless break line i got at aid auto stores. fun fun!
ro
Old 2006-04-25, 8:43am
ManBearPig

I'm actually thinking of switching my beginning classes to using Bullseye. It's stiffer than Moretti, so it's more forgiving. Plus they have all kinds of nice colors now. The drawback is that it's more expensive and not as easy to find. But once we get our shop open we'll be selling Bullseye, boro, and Moretti, so that will help some.

Old 2006-04-25, 11:40am
borobucaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
I know the feeling. The only time I use any soft glass is when I'm teaching our beginning lampworking class. And when I do that, I have to make myself devote a couple of days before the class to just working with soft glass so I remember how.
Why do you start off soft?
Old 2006-04-25, 12:26pm
ManBearPig

Because most people that want to learn are interested in it. The classes we teach most of are beadmaking, and the people that make beads are interested in soft glass. When I do marble and pendant classes, we use boro.

Old 2006-04-26, 7:44pm

I made a set using the Blue Moon & Clear

And this is Caramel & Clear

Old 2006-04-27, 12:22pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

You've got your chocolate in my peanut butter!
No you've got your peanut butter in my chocolate!

Yeah - me too. In soft, you have yellow, you lay down yellow, you kiln it and it comes out yellow. Boro, you have yellow, you lay it down and it turns red, you kiln it and it comes out purple. WTF??? Maybe someone needs to come out with a chocolate and peanut butter combo glass that can be sculpted without breaking, but keep it's colors.
Boretti? Effetro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort
Thanks! Boro has been so interesting, that I haven't touched my moretti since I got it. The frustration factor for moretti was keeping it from breaking when doing sculptural stuff, but working the colors was so easy. The frustration factor for boro is getting consistant color, but keeping it from breaking is so easy. Hmmmm, guess I will find something to b*tch about no matter what, huh?

Eric
Old 2006-04-27, 1:43pm
Type ZZZ personality

Excellent beads Nicole!! And the photography is outstanding!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-04-29, 5:28am
Nah, not really...;)

Photo Tent

Taken outside

I can't decide which picture I like the best. I know they are at different angles, etc. Oh well, this is from Smiley's recipe. Thank you Brent!

I am still in the 'Lentil Zone'. I made quite a few hollows for the FireFiends challenge, will try and post those later.

Last edited by HardwoodTrailGlass; 2006-04-29 at 10:57am.
Old 2006-04-29, 8:51am

Here is a heart made from some NS exotics shorties and left over stringer.

Eric
Attached Images