Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-05-06, 2:54am
used to be Moretti 4REAL!

Question Lampworking + Woodturning = yes or no?

Hi LE folks,

I have a small studio area in my garage which is attached my my small but adored home. My 9 year old son has decided to do woodturning as his hobby (making bowls and stuff on a lathe.) We can't woodturn in the basement because my husband collects cars and woodturning is messy and the dust and stuff would damage his boxes. He stores the boxes in a "room" in the basement we made out of studs and masonite with the holes in it. We already have the boy's scroll saw down there and there is a fine layer of sawdust - yuck.

So, we were discussing WHERE to put the lathe so that our son can turn. We really don't have anywhere except the garage, and that is where my torch is.

If we put a wall up to block the dust and wood from the lathe, do you think that would be sufficient? Our other idea was to get a LONG extension cord and a workbench that rolls to put the lathe on. (It's a Rikon mini lathe) Then, we'd put patio block down in an area in the backyard and have him turn outside ONLY. That would work for the short term anyway. I wryly suggested we should move to my hubby last night and he said, "either that or blow out the back of the garage."

But I don't really want to move.... my gardens are JUST now coming along to the point where I wanted them to.

so, what do you guys do? do any of you share space with a woodworker?

thanks in advance,
Angela
Old 2007-05-06, 6:22am
stacijane on Etsy

I share the garage shop with my husband, who does woodturning. I try to keep my torch and glass covered when I'm not using it, and he's good about vacuuming up his area after each session. It's still dusty, but for now it's the best solution we have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-05-06, 6:35am
Crazy tool making guy....

Well, I'm not sure, but as a minimum I would:

Put up a separation wall.

Enforce use of a vacuum while working.

Enforce full vacuuming after working.

-Jeff
Old 2007-05-06, 6:46am
Formerly known as LT

Do you have enough yard to build a cute little studio of yourself??? Othes have used a 12x14 foot shed, sheet rocked, wired and insulated it and are loving there own personal space. I would have done that but we had an extra room just sitting there so that was used. Just a thought. Better than moving, and if you build it without a permanent foundation (on skids) it could be moved and taken with you if you ever need it to.

Old 2007-05-07, 8:30am

You need to employ serious dust control at the lathe, not only to keep the place clean but to protect your son's lungs as well. Turning and finish sanding can produce very fine dust that is about the same size as enamel powder. If you're collecting dust at the source then you should not have a problem. Remember that dust collection for turners is just as important as ventilation for torch workers. Granted, way too many people ignore this in both areas, but it is true and should be taken seriously.

Robert
Old 2007-05-07, 9:13am
stacijane on Etsy

I agree about the dust control. DH wears a mask and uses a vacuum hose while doing any finish sanding. The sanding is definitely the dustiest part. I also don't torch while he's turning - too noisy for me. That's another thing - ear protection is a good idea as well.

We will hopefully be relocating his lathe to the other end of the garage sometime in the near future. We still haven't poured concrete in the new section of the garage.

Old 2007-05-07, 10:28am

This is the dust and impact protection that I use in conjunction with a dust collector and micron air filter in the shop. A regular dust mask doesn't get the fine stuff and if something comes off the lathe (and it will happen) you don't get your teeth knocked out. I used to use a plain face shield and ended up with stitches in my eyebrow from being cut by the head band when a small piece came off the lathe and hit me. It only takes once.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...h-sfty-triresp

Robert
Old 2007-05-11, 6:25pm
used to be Moretti 4REAL!

WOW, that face shield/helmet ROCKS. He has a full face shield now but it doesn't have the respirator that I know he needs. It's nice to hear that other lampworkers share space with a woodturner. And as for building a shed, we already have one of those packed to the gills with yard stuff and a generator (my hubby was very concerned about Y2K!!!LOL) We live in a "mayberry-esque" little neighborhood with 10,000 sq ft lots... so, maybe we'll tear down our existing shed and build a larger one on a cement pad - then we can store all the stuff in the garage in THERE instead. whew!

you just can't ever have enough projects, can you?

THANKS for all the info, it's MUCH appreciated!!

Angela
Old 2007-05-14, 6:14am

The biggest problem that we have is having time to work on all of the different things that we want to do. Got the tools, don't have the time.

Robert