Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-11-08, 12:45pm

Default Is extended non-use a problem?

I haven't touched my setup in a long time. I think over a year? Not sure. My torch and oxygen tank have been sitting untouched the entire time. My propane tank was taken outside and hooked up to our grill some time ago. I've recently become re-motivated to lampwork, but I'm wondering if it's safe? I don't remember if the torch was covered or not (it's hard to access at the moment, I'm planning on cleaning the area up lol) so there might be dust all in/on it I have to clean off. Would the hoses be affected by sitting so long? The one hose is still hooked up the oxygen tank, even though the tank is shut and lines have been bled. Should I go replace the oxygen tank before I start(pretty sure it's still mostly full)?

Thanks!
Old 2011-11-08, 12:58pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

If the lines have been open you will also want to blow them out with compressed air to evacuate any spiders or thier friends(torch should be unhooked from the line before you do this). You can take the lines off the torch and apply compressed air to the inlets to blow out the dust, then clean the torch, and blow again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2011-11-09, 1:39pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

You should not have any problems. The hoses sitting for a year under no pressure is no different from sitting for a year and being used off and on. Inspect the hoses for any physical damage and any cracking or drying out and you'll be good. Pams advice is good also. If the oxy tank is full or nearly so then there again you are fine. I have oxy tanks in my metal shop that have been in use for several years since last filled and they are good...reminds me I need to exchange them soon.
Old 2012-02-23, 8:28am
All Zeke, all the time

I am by no means a expert but would knowing if the equipment was in an un-airconditioned area like a garage or porch be important? I have seen similar hoses deteriorate when they have been subjected to a wide range of temperatures changes.
Old 2012-02-23, 11:03am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Welding hoses are typically 3 layers. The inner layer is solid and somewhat soft, the middle layer has cloth inserted in it for strength and the outer layer is colored and made to be abrasion resistant. Deterioration in any of the layers compromises the hose. Temperature is not the main enemy of rubber compositions but it effects the rate damage is done by ozone, and sunlight, and airbourne chemicals. Temperature does effect hoses when they are subject to abuse at extreme temps. Rubber gets brittle at low temps and soft at high temps so physical damage is more likely at temp extremes.