Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-06-17, 8:30pm

Default Any recomendations for taking pictures of beads

I was all excited about a class offered at Bead and Button on taking pictures of jewelry. I won't go into details, but over half of the class was spent on getting the classes camera or trying to use the trial of photo shop.
Is there a book anyone would recommend. I would love some advise on taking pictures and posting on LE.
All help would be greatly appricated..
Old 2011-06-17, 8:38pm

Have you seen Kevan's tut? It helped me a lot with my pics. It's in the paid tutorials section.
Old 2011-06-17, 9:33pm

No flash, macro setting, picassa3 (free editing software on line, super easy to use)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-18, 6:25am
Gentleman of Leisure

Plenty of help here...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56

But basically , good light with no glare (light box or equivalent) macro or other close up setting of camera, and some basic picture editing software, some like Picasa I personally like IRFANVIEW a free picture manipulation software, you can crop, color balance, lighten darken pics....

http://www.irfanview.com

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-06-18, 6:59am
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoelker View Post
Have you seen Kevan's tut? It helped me a lot with my pics. It's in the paid tutorials section.
Isn't Kevan's tut about Photoshop?

Old 2011-06-18, 7:24am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, take your pics outside on an overcast day. You can't get any better than that. All the fancy lights & tents are trying to duplicate it.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-06-19, 7:30am
Butterfly Rancher

Kevan's tutorial is excellent. It is geared to Photoshop but just the overall theory helped me tremendously.

Also check out LE's Darkroom section and look for the Levels Tutorial. Once again it's geared to Photoshop but there's tons of great information and lots of examples. The Darkroom is filled with lots of other quick tutorials on bead photography as well as info on cameras.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2011-06-19, 8:15am
Experimentalist

I hope you gave B&B some appropriate feedback so they don't offer that class to others.

Why pay for a class if you can't learn what they're supposed to be teaching you to learn?

Old 2011-06-19, 9:17am
grama punky - class junky

What Vivian said. I have a $99 nikon, use the macro setting and use the micro soft office photo manager (came with the office package) to do any cropping, etc. simple, inexpensive and produces nice pics. good luck. oh, I also bought 2 hallogen workshop lights from menards,$8@, made a cloth box with a white sheet $3, and shoot on a piece of mirror if there isnt an overcast day when I need one!