Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-12-20, 1:16pm

Default Natural Gas for Multiple Torches

I've looked everywhere throughout this and other forums. Nowhere have I seen this specific situation addressed. I would appreciate any help as we continue to wade through contractor after contractor trying to get things up and running in the new studio. The latest quote breached 5 figures...

Anyway, here goes:

1. Does the "volume is more important than pressure" rule apply to natural gas as well as propane?
2. Will a 1 inch pipe work for natural gas to supply all six torches?
2 a) If so, what type of pipe will I need to bring in to facilitate natural gas use on six GTT torches (2 crickets, 2 bobcats, 1 lynx, 1 scorpion).
3. 3. Will I need a natural gas compressor?

Thanks in advance for any help. We need to decide which fuel source will work to our advantage. I have also emailed GTT for specific torch assistance.
Old 2011-12-20, 1:29pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

What PSI is the natural gas in your building to start with? The studio I was working with in San Diego had a commercial variance to get 4-5 PSI to the building, and the feed line for the rooms were two inches. My memory if fuzzy, it has been years, but I think the feed line for the room with 6 minors was 1", while the PM2D room (also 6) fed off the main 2" pipe. I would want confirmation from others who have done this more recently, but that is what I remember

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2011-12-20, 1:36pm

That's helpful, Pam.

We don't have the natural gas in the building as yet. They will install for free though as it's in the area. I just need to know what we need to have installed and whether or not we can even get a commercial variance given we're in an historic district.

Last edited by Torch&Marver; 2011-12-20 at 1:48pm.
Old 2011-12-20, 3:45pm
Alaska Boro

In home locations NG is in the range of 1/2 PSI. Industrial could be 2 PSI or greater depending. Many torches run on propane at 5 PSI. But check the instructions to determine what pressures the torch runs best at.

You will need sufficient volume (limited by pipe size) to run all the torches. There is a formula for sizing gas pipes.

There are NG compressors. A small one to run a Scropion is about $1200.

The good part is that you are in a commercial/business area. Thus it is most likely that a higher PSI will be avaialble. Use .4 PSI on a Scropion and it works well. A higher NG pressure would be nice but is not available.

Good luck with your interesting project.