AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-06-08, 5:14am

Default Any suggestions for a good glass saw?

I am in the market for a glass saw and was hoping I could get some suggestions about good models to look into. I am particularly interested in the Inland Swaptop since I can also buy a flat lap conversion kit for it down the road, but I'm not sure of the quality. While versitality is great, it can also be a bad thing if there are too many moving parts involved. Anyone have any experience with this? Oh, I'm mainly looking for one to cut murrini slices, but I'm also interested in making some cut, fused pendants.
Old 2007-06-08, 5:17am
Genus: gwacefulia klumsia

I find the inland swap top to be a bit weeny and a pain in the butt to have to switch all the time. If you can afford it and have space get separate machines. You'll be glad you did.
etsy shop:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

doggies:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-06-08, 5:45am

I use a Taurus 3 ring saw. Their thin kurf blade is OK for slicing murrinni, but you still lose a bit. A solid thin kurf diamond blade might be better for thisand other straight cuts. The Taurus is good for a range of jobs, though, and you can make all sorts of complex cuts with a ring saw that you can't do with a solid blade saw. The best saw for you kind of depends of what your major purpose is.

I would recommend getting tools that are dedicated to specific jobs rather than 'all-in-one' tools. A separate machine for lapping will do a better job than one that converts from cutting to lapping and back again, IMHO.

Robert
Old 2007-06-08, 7:32am

i love my taurus 3
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-06-08, 7:44am
ManBearPig

I have an Ameritool saw. A bit pricey, but well worth it. I cut down cases of clear all the time for our store, so it sees a LOT of use.

Old 2007-06-08, 9:14am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

This is a great saw!

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...hlight=defusco

They have a discount for LE and Wamrglass.com of 19.95 and are selling it for $180. I got one and so did a friend of mine and we LOVE it!

You have to explicitly say you want the glass forum discount to get the $180 price.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-06-08, 9:14am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I do fused glass pendant, earrings,etc. with it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-06-08, 9:15am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Oh and I have inland "all in wonder" as it is called (swap top) and the saw SUCKS. The flat lap part is just ok.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-06-08, 10:26am

Thanks everyone for all the tips. I think the best bit of advice is to stay away from the all-in-one tool! It's good to have some options to weigh between now, as well.
Old 2011-07-03, 9:04am
Katherine

have finally decided to break down and buy a saw to cut fused glass. I am thinking about a ring saw since the blade is much less likely to break since I will be cutting such thick glass.

I plan on buying wholesale from Ed Hoy since their prices are so much cheaper. Here are the three saws they carry - the last one is not a ring saw but looks interesting.

Zephyr Ring Saw
TAURUS T3 RING SAW
DIAMOND LASER 3000XL SAW

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on these saws?

Thanks,

Old 2011-07-04, 2:56pm

I've heard of people using a tile saw with a diamond blade. SKIL 7-inch wet tile saw at Lowe's is $80. My fiancé and I are looking into getting one for cutting large rod and tube. We're boro workers, so it may be a bit different for you.

I hope this helps. Good luck and happy torching

Glasskat2010

Old 2011-07-04, 5:00pm
Katherine

Glasskat2010, Actually I do have a wet tile saw with an upgraded diamond blade. I have used it a lot but I am afraid to use it for cutting smaller fused glass pieces like for earrings and hair pins. Maybe I am a wuss.

Old 2011-07-04, 6:03pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass obsessed View Post
Glasskat2010, Actually I do have a wet tile saw with an upgraded diamond blade. I have used it a lot but I am afraid to use it for cutting smaller fused glass pieces like for earrings and hair pins. Maybe I am a wuss.
Those diamond blades don't take fingers off the way regular blades do. I cut very tiny pieces with them.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-07-05, 6:11am
Katherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Those diamond blades don't take fingers off the way regular blades do. I cut very tiny pieces with them.
Squid,

Are you referring to a specialized saw like a "WET CUTTING GLASS SAW" or just one of the cheapies one can buy at Menard's or Lowe's? I am asking because the cheapo one I have seems to be very brutal and would cut off fingers quickly. But I did find one wet saw being sold at Ed Hoy's called a "MK-370 EXP WET CUTTING GLASS SAW" that has a 7 inch diamond blade. Is this the type you are referring to?

What I want to do is cut small fused glass pieces around 1/2" by 1/2" up to 1" by 1".

Since this is a big purchase for me so I appreciate all advice and suggestions.

Old 2011-07-05, 6:33am
Butterfly Rancher

If you want to make straight cuts, a tile saw or a trim saw such as this http://www.kilnfrog.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm/ID/328 will do the job. If you want to cut shapes, then a ring saw is better.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2011-07-05, 6:35am
Katherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckah View Post
If you want to make straight cuts, a tile saw or a trim saw such as this http://www.kilnfrog.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm/ID/328 will do the job. If you want to cut shapes, then a ring saw is better.
Thanks, silly me had not thought about that

Old 2011-07-07, 4:40am
Katherine

I just purchased a Tarsus ring saw. Thanks for your advise.