TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2008-05-22, 6:12pm

Default Redmax popping

Hi,

So I JUST got the new torch set up and as you may expect, I HAD to fire it up and see how it works.

The surface mix top torch is just like the Minor I used once before so nothing out of the ordinary really there.

The bottom bigger torch though.... It's just ridiculous! Coming from a Hothead, it's borderline scary.

The real question is this. On the larger bottom torch, I crack the propane and light it and when I crack the oxygen, I get a pop. Sounds just like the pop or crack I've heard from an oxygen/acetylene cutting torch. Is this normal? Should I be doing something different to avoid it?
Old 2008-05-22, 8:38pm

sounds like you need to have a bigger propane flame. but cracking the oxygen you are blowing out the flame. try having a 6" flame, then crack open the oxygen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2008-05-22, 9:04pm
Ad astra per aspera

I've only used a Red Max at another studio, and it always popped when adding the oxygen to propane. My Midrange did that, too, on propane, but doesn't do it on NG. It's not a loud crack, just a "pfffp" as it lights.

Old 2008-05-22, 10:01pm
PyronamixK

If you are bringing on the fuel gas low and slowly adding on the oxygen, it could be that there's just enough fuel gas bleeing back into the oxygen chamber to cause it to ignite and pop. Just run your fuel gas flame out a little further and turn your oxygen on faster.

If it pops and your flame goes out, I would suspect premixing - and that is a problem.
Old 2008-05-23, 6:36am

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try turning the oxygen on a little quicker. It doesn't blow the flame out, just a pop and everything seems normal.

I've got probably an 8 inch propane flame, maybe a bit larger and I'd think that is big enough but I could be wrong.
Old 2008-05-23, 8:58am

it would be very advisable to have flashback arrestors in line too

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.