Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-05-24, 9:27am

Default New to boro

I just recently got my new torch set up and running and spent a few hours yesterday playing with the boro. Getting the amber purple to show me the nice purples that I've seen everyone else get is gonna take some practice for sure. Acually, EVERYTHING is going to take a lot of practice but thats ok.

I managed to make a couple decent marbles(for me anyhow), they're my first ones and are between 1/2" and 1" or so. A few pendants and hearts and that sort of thing.

I'm unsure about adjusting the flame though for a reducing vs neutral vs oxidizing flame. Are there are pictures of the differences? I'm primarily using the top minor on my Redmax and it seems the minor is pretty common so I'm hoping there is something around that will show me.
Old 2008-05-24, 6:14pm

There are pictures. Let me see if I can find them!

I found some on WC. Disregard the first set of pictures since they are a joke about a hot head torch which can't be adjusted.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...flame+reducing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Heidi

~~
~~

Last edited by Jamn!; 2008-05-24 at 6:23pm.
Old 2008-05-29, 5:24pm

Thanks Jamn!

I'm fairly certain I have it figured out but I've heard mention of damaging a torch through improper flame setting and I'd like to avoid as many newbie mistakes as possible.
Old 2008-06-01, 12:21pm

Candles are the itty bitty flame inside the flame that is closest to your torch. From what I understand you just don't want those really short almost like they are touching the torch head.
I thought I had turned my torch off once and almost ruined my torch that way! YIKES! So glad I caught it in time!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-06-05, 7:00pm

Howie,
I learned on a redmax and still use one. your candles should be about 1/2 inch long for normal operation. I constantly adjust my propane to get bigger or smaller flame candles. i can easily go from 1/8 inch to almost 1 1/2 inches. As long as you dont leave the torch candles very small or very large for an extended period you should never hurt your torch.

Old 2008-06-06, 4:44pm

Very cool. I appreciate the answers.