Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-07-13, 6:15pm

Default Safety when working with glass info

I was looking for what chemicals one is exposed to when working with glass/melting glass etc. and came upon this site.
http://www.eastfallsglass.com/safety.php

It mentioned several nasty chemicals you could potentially breathe (all the more reason to make certain to have superior ventilation and possibly wear a mask).
And it also mentioned that regular didy glasses do not protect against IR which is infrared radiation and it causes cataracts. I believed didy glasses to be all that was required? And if they are not what are you supposed to use in combination with them? But maybe it was referring to plain old fashioned rose didymum glasses. The newer ACE - 202 aren't the same I don't think.

I did also find this about ACE-202 lenses:
"Known as Phillips 202, or one of several other trade names, ACE is the name Schott calls their most popular lampworking filter lens. ACE exceeds light filtering in the UV (ultra violet), near IR (infrared) and sodium flare spectrums than the old rose didymium lenses. Sodium flare is the bright yellow orange light that hot glass produces while in the flame, It is also what irritates and fatigues your eyes the most. In addition, ACE color enhances red, blue and green, making it easier to see a glass' true color and judge its temperature while you work."

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. ~Charles Horton Cooley

Last edited by ShellyJo1969; 2010-07-13 at 6:35pm.
Old 2010-07-13, 8:13pm

I dont think cadmium is used very much any more. Almost certainly not in boro. This site is talking about furnace work. There are different hazards involved with this. If you do lampwork only, you will never be working with batch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-07-15, 5:38pm

Didy's aren't the best choice for soft glass. Far better are either Aura Lens's AUR92's or Phillip's 202, which are designed to provide important eye health protection in both IR and UV in addition to reducing sodium flare. You are correct - AUR92's and Phillips 202's are not the same as didy's. They are more expensive, but like ventilation, well worth the investment.

Linda
Old 2010-07-21, 3:56pm
Salt Box Beads

I use the Aura lens shield at home. I love it plus it helps block most of the ambient heat from reaching my face...
another big plus for using a shield.

You're research is correct on differences in eye wear. I took a two day class a few weeks ago with Leah Fairbanks and wore a pair of low end ( $50.00) didy glasses. I could tell within an hour they were not protecting my eyes as well. My eyes were very tired and felt strained. They did work for the class but I think I need to save up for pair like my shield when taking classes.

Our eyes are worth the extra care and it is such a pleasure when Linda and I and others that frequent this forum see new comers posting informative links and jumping in on the healthy way to set up a studio and taking a serious interest in all aspects of lampworking of which as you are learning are many. And thank-you for posting that link!

Lorraine