Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2012-03-09, 12:45pm

Default Flashback arrestors

I don't have them. I have a Nortel Minor torch, and I have 2 oxygen concentrators. I've been told in the past that flashback arrestors are a good idea but I probably didn't need them. I've been reading about them recently and thinking... is it really worth taking the chance? Maybe I was given bad advice before, or maybe the risk with my particular torch isn't actually that great, but either way I think I'd feel better WITH the things. I've been torching happily away for 6-7 years now without any incident but...

My question is, where's the best place to get them, and do I need one for my oxygen line as well if I am running a concentrator rather than tanked O2?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-03-10, 9:18am

You don't really need FB arrestors on your concentrators and they probably wouldn't work if you put one on - not enough pressure. A Minor doesn't require one on the fuel line but many of us put one in anyway as an added safety precaution. You can go for years without an incident but it only takes one to make for a bad day.

Robert
Old 2012-03-25, 1:11pm

Hi,

Is your torch a surface mix torch?, I worked using tanked O2 and at that time the FB arrestors were connected all the time due to the high pressure in them and then when I got my oxycon that was my first concern, but I was told that using a FB arrestor plugged to the oxycon was not necessary and that in some way could generate back pressure so I donīt use them anymore.
Old 2012-03-25, 1:21pm
Loving learning

I have something on my propane line that works similarly to the flashback according to the welding shop. I am not knowledgeable enough to say myself, but it does give another layer of protection. It's a called check valve I believe, and is cheaper, but I can't verify the safety equivalent part.
Oh, and I'm using a Minor with oxycon too.
Old 2012-03-25, 5:15pm

Yes I am using a minor with an oxycon, and the minor is a surface mix torch.

Old 2012-03-26, 8:08am

I won't torch without them, at least using tanked 02. I actually had an 'event' and blew one of my flashback arrestors....good thing I had chosen to go conservative/safe. I have them on both the propane and oxygen sides of my lines without fail.

I use them with my oxycons, more as an insurance policy to protect an expensive investment, even though they don't store 02 and don't have high pressure.
Old 2012-03-26, 8:26am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

I have FB arrestor only for my gas line. I have an oxycon too and no need a FB arrestor there... I used to but had trouble with the pressure so I took it off.
I have a bobcat and I always been very concern about the propane. So, I wouldn't be able to torch without my FB arrestor...