No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-11-29, 9:16am
No Longer an LE Member

Default Another vent question

I am considering mounting a stove/range hood that is rated at 200 CFM exhaust flow directly over my work table and venting the exhaust outside. I have two questions about this:

#1 If I use the proper recommended ducting and do not exceed the specified length of duct work, is this sufficient to safely exhaust my work space?

#2 How high above my workspace should the hood be mounted to ensure maximum safe exhaust without causing a problem with my flame?

Thank you.

Last edited by sailingzees; 2005-11-29 at 9:18am.
Old 2005-11-29, 9:46am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingzees
I am considering mounting a stove/range hood that is rated at 200 CFM exhaust flow directly over my work table and venting the exhaust outside. I have two questions about this:

#1 If I use the proper recommended ducting and do not exceed the specified length of duct work, is this sufficient to safely exhaust my work space?

#2 How high above my workspace should the hood be mounted to ensure maximum safe exhaust without causing a problem with my flame?

Thank you.
I personally do not think 200cfm is enough volume for range hood.

There should be at least 100cfm for volume for each square foot of hood opening.... I'm thinking more like 350 to 400 cfm minimum....

Hood should be no highter that a couple of inches about your head when in "normal" work position... Just high enough you don't bump your head on it..

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-11-29, 11:32am
Safety ALWAYS

If you are using an overhead fan, without sides or back, use 125 CFM per square foot of hood coverage. If the hood is going to be mounted with sides and back down to the bench top, measure the opening "face" and use 80 CFM per square foot of face space.

"Proper" ducting is smooth sided galvanized metal, with a minimum of bends and no size changing, especially not to a smaller diameter. The run should be as straight and level as possible.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world