Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2007-08-12, 3:38pm
yukue fumei

Default Dragon Eye Ring Tutorial

for dragon myst
I decided I can't wait for Dh anymore--poor thing is just too busy.
So here is my tut using photos I took .Some of them are fuzzy, my apologies! I couldn't take pics of the parts where I needed both hands, but I will explain them as best as I can!
thanks for your patience

Dragon Eye Tutorial:

1. making the ring. Make a thick stringer and melt off an amount that looks to be the correct amount for the size you want. This one is about 2 inches using Antique Beauty twistie. You can strike it to a nice color at this time(easier)

2. punty it up. My punty is clear 4mm

3. heat it til the ends wilt down forming a deep "C"

4. Set this in the kiln until you are ready to use it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nagi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-08-12, 3:43pm
yukue fumei

5. Cut a piece of murrini. I used a small piece, like the one on the right. The murrini on the left is one cut from a full sized rod. Thicker pieces will give you a larger eye and neat reactions. Smaller ones will leave some gaps in case you want to use a backing color behind it.

6. Heat a small gather on the end of a rod(here it is Unobtanium) and smash it flat with a marver

7. Add a dot of white, heat and then add the murrini.

nagi

Old 2007-08-12, 3:50pm
yukue fumei

8. Melt it in and then add black for the pupil. If you want some cool reactions, try adding a silver black like Alaska Night before using a dot of deep opaque black. Melt that in and add a dot of clear for the lense. Be careful when you melt in the clear.

9. Add the eye lids. Here in Unobtanium.

10. voila! the Eye part is done. Carefully flatten the back to get it ready to add the ring part. check to make sure the "C" fits within the dimensions of the flattened bottom of the eye.

nagi

Old 2007-08-12, 4:33pm
yukue fumei

11. Now for the part that I have no pics! Carefully heat the ends of the "C" ring and attach it to the back of the ring

to size it, use an octagonal reamer or other reamer. Then match it up on the ring mandrel to see if it is correct.

and there you have it, a Dragon Eye ring!

nagi

Old 2007-08-12, 5:22pm
Serenity Now!

Kewl & clear tut, NN! Thanks for sharing!!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2007-08-13, 6:21am

wow that was great! thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-08-13, 6:53am

great tute and very cool ring, nagi, I especially like the last one, it looks so fleshy and real! I keep looking at it waiting for it to blink ... or does a dragon nictitate?
I need to get my hands on some of that unobtanium ... next time a bulk order goes through from my colour pimp.

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2007-08-13, 11:03am
yukue fumei

Thanks guys!!

nagi

Old 2007-08-13, 12:44pm

Wow Nagi - way cool ring & technique...I'm going to have to try it out!
Thanks!
Sals
Old 2007-08-13, 12:48pm
yukue fumei

Thanks Sals!
I'm glad you like it!

nagi

Old 2013-12-14, 7:21am
Flamewoman

I used to make glass rings, but found they have a liability.
If you make them wear them with care, and I would not suggest
you make them to sell because of the liability. I was wearing
one of my glass rings at the grocery store and when I reached out
for the door handle on the refridgerator case I hit the chrome handle
just right with the finger the ring was on and the ring broke leaving
a small cut bleeding on the inside of my finger. Good thing
you can't sue yourself. lol. I won't make them anymore.
I hate to be a downer, your rings are really cool and fun,
but glass is not a good material for rings, IMHO. I do make
rings with a beautiful glass cab, but the ring itself is metal.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-03-22, 10:29am

that is nice what is it about quarter size? I like the one on the right looks real
Old 2014-04-17, 12:39pm

xcellent ring tutorial friend. I wear mine all the time and I've never broken one yet (knock on wood) - here is another ring tut, thought you'd like to see it GL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQbvMNcmOaE
Old 2015-02-06, 7:43am
I fart diamonds

Bumpity Bump