LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-01-19, 8:02am

Default Wet Cutting of Glass

I was cutting some cane with a wet diamond saw and started thinking about the mist coming off of the blade and what it might contain. I collected some droplets, dried them down and looked at them in a scanning electron microscope. The particle sizes range from quite large to well below 1 micrometer. You definitely want to wear respiratory protection when wet cutting glass - you get a lot of mist produced and it's full of very tiny shards of glass. The image was taken at 25,000X magnification and the sale bar is 1 micrometer. You don't want to breath this mist and should clean up thoroughly afterward to keep the dust from becoming airborne.

Robert
Old 2011-01-19, 8:32am

I'll second that, this is exactly why we do all of our wet saw cutting outdoors.
Old 2011-01-19, 8:34am
Growing Edge Glass

Robert...thanks for sharing this important info!

You have some of the most fun toys, by the way...ie: scanning electron microscope!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-01-19, 10:17am

The cool toys add to the fun of my day job.

R
Old 2011-01-28, 3:29pm
needs creative tagline

hey robert, what are your thoughts on how this might apply to other wet coldworking applications such as:

-using a grinder for stained glass people
-using a flat lap on beads or other pieces
-using a diamond saw on stained glass pieces

I am guessing your advice should apply to these activities too, but I'll bet there are TONS of stained glass people out there who have never been told this or even thought about it...

laura

Facebook -

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2011-01-28, 6:09pm

You make a very good point and few glass workers ever consider this. Any of these activities that generate a mist around the machine include these tiny bits of glass in the mist. Flat laps, in my experience, generate less mist and spray if they're set up right but they still produce shards in mist. I use all of the above tools at one time or another and I always use a mask, even when working outdoors with my bigger saw.

It occurred to me one day a while back that mist is the equivalent of sawdust from the woodworking world (I'm a reformed wood turner) and dust control is important for maintaining your health in that business.

If you do a lot of cold working and don't use respiratory protection then, IMHO, you're opening the door to respiratory problems and possibly silicosis.

My favorite device is the Triton respirator system that I bought for the wood shop (http://www.tritontools.com/). You get impact, noise and particulate protection in one package. It's not cheap or particularly stylish but it's very good for a number of different applications, up to and including running a chainsaw.

Robert
Old 2011-01-30, 10:18am
Curmudgeon Engineering

And don't forget the microscopic particles in that bead release. Clean those used mandrels under water and clean up the area well after.
Old 2011-02-01, 5:25am
boro color bender

Thanks Robert and I've seen pics of you in that suit... you make that suit look good! Keep rocking the safety advise!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2011-02-01, 10:36am

Here's the Triton helmet in action while slicing murrini with a modified tile saw. A powered (filtered) air supply keeps the face shield fog-free. Terribly stylish?
Thanks Brent.

Robert
Old 2011-02-01, 5:14pm

Actually sorta cool looking. . . and you are saving your health. When you look at what you look like from the point of safety, you can't worry about what you look like but about what your health will make you feel like later down the road. As always, thanks for sharing the safety tips.

Yvonne