Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-05-09, 8:27am

Default tonips

Has anyone reinforced a Creation Station? I love mine, but am concerned that the wings move quite a lot while I'm working. Looking for suggestions on how to shore it up to make it stronger. Any help would be appreciated.
Toni
Old 2012-05-09, 9:41am

Some parts can be tightened with a wrench, or a screwdriver.
Old 2012-05-09, 11:33am
Wonder-wench

I keep a wrench near my station to tighten it up. You might consider adding some small trianglular pieces underneath the edge of the wings to better brace it against the bench if your wings are sagging. Just a thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-05-09, 3:29pm

Thanks, Pat and Elizabeth. I do tighten it quite often, and I'm going to try some type of wedge underneath. Hope it helps. I sure want to make sure it has an extended lifetime! Toni
Old 2012-05-09, 4:04pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMagicGlass View Post
I keep a wrench near my station to tighten it up. You might consider adding some small trianglular pieces underneath the edge of the wings to better brace it against the bench if your wings are sagging. Just a thought.
Oh gosh, this is a great idea! I lean on my elbows and I have to keep stopping myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-05-09, 4:31pm
Unmedicated since '62

i just tighten it - maybe put a rubber grommet against the wingnut so it grips better, i've not had much proplem with it moving though

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-05-09, 5:53pm
Elphaba Lives !!

Exclamation Brace it !!

This is what DH did for me:

Now I can lean on my elbows as much as I want !!!

Old 2012-05-09, 11:18pm

That's cool - what a great idea! I may just have to do that with mine. I have mine flipped over too to alter the height/ distance to the torch so that they're extra wobbly.

Old 2012-05-10, 9:12am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Rubber grommets will not solve the problem. They will introduce 'cushion' into the joint and it will never be tight. The under supports are a good idea and will add a lot of support.If the problem is that the screws/bolts are loosening then get a small vial of Locktight at the local hardware store ($3 - $4 ) and put a drop on each screw thread and tighten them up. It cures in seconds. I would use the 'permanent' type as it is stronger and it isn't really permanent, just stronger.

PJ
Old 2012-05-10, 9:25am

Thanks for the Loctite advice. Mine is forever getting loose and I have to clean off the whole desk and take it apart - a pain!

Barbara
Old 2012-05-10, 5:03pm

My DH mounted angle brackets under my bench and then attached the wings. I too was scared of leaning on the wings.

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2012-05-11, 4:25am
Run Free Sweet Boy

you can dispense with the creation station altogether if you cut a U shape out at the front of your table. I have built my benches this way for 30 years. I do have a creation station and love it for taking to classes etc. and I use it without the wings and mounted to my bench top as an anchor for my torch.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."