No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-08-24, 6:43am
Melody of Glass

Question Displaying beads

What do you use to display your beads at home? I have a bit of a collection started of beads from friends and from some amazing artists. I don't display them today but I want to in my new place (moving soon).

Do you display them in your studio? I was thinking it would be great inspiration in the studio but I wouldn't see them as regularly as if they were in another part of the house.
My other option will be in my library. I am thinking of either lighting one of the library shelves and setting up a display there or buying a glass cabinet to hold them, something like the pic. I do a bit of metalwork too so thought I'd like to put together some nice stands for each of the beads.

Thoughts? What do you do?
Attached Images

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-08-24, 7:39am
Loving learning

I've been trying to think of something too. I have a few very special ones in my curio cabinet, but it's pretty crowded & they don't really show well.
I was trying to think where I might hang them if I put them on lengths of fishing line & hung at differing heights in a window maybe. Or perhaps just get a deep frame & mount them so I could hang the frame on the wall.
But so far nothing as struck me as the perfect solution. If I had a coffee table type husband, I'd get one with a recess under a glass top, and put them in it on some black velvet or something.
Old 2014-08-24, 8:17am
Melody of Glass

I was thinking of that as well, Eileen. I love these but the price is a little high for what I'm looking for!

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/3907...f=favs_view_23

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-08-24, 8:31am
I'm meeeeelting

Mine are on lucite stands in my studio, but I'm starting to run out of space. I like that display case a lot.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2014-08-24, 8:44am
Melody of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
Mine are on lucite stands in my studio, but I'm starting to run out of space. I like that display case a lot.
The glass one? $60 at Ikea. Price is right! I figure with some stick on LED lights inside, it'd be nice.

I do love the coffee table idea too. Wonder if I can find one somewhere for a price I'm willing to pay. I imagine there is a lot of labour that goes into creating all those compartments, though.

Coming soon...

Old 2014-08-24, 9:57am
I like to melt things

He starts with a letterpress tray so isn't making all the little boxes. Might be something to keep an eye out for

I like the ikea cabinet but think you will need to somehow make elevations on the shelves otherwise things in the back don't get seen.
Old 2014-08-24, 10:08am
Burn baby, burn

The ikea one has a place for a light, you buy it separately. I've been eyeing those for years.

Ikea used to have one of those tables too, but without the tiny spaces.
Old 2014-08-24, 10:09am

I have two of those type cases that I've already started transforming into wall hanging cases with plexi doors. The cases are getting rarer and pretty pricey all by themselves though.
As far as showing off the stuff in the back, Sharon Peters is selling weighted metal stands with 3/32 risers and stoppers for underneath the bead to raise it up that would work pretty nicely.
Old 2014-08-24, 10:29am
Melody of Glass

Good ideas.

Letterpress tray is a good idea.

Hadn't thought about risers. I was thinking of a more sparse display that didn't need them. There are a ton of bricks left over at the new place. Those would make good risers and go well with the weird new bricky house.

Coming soon...

Old 2014-08-24, 10:56am

Heather Behrendt has a great idea .... She uses one of the multi size photo frames, painted the frame and displays various sizes and quanties in the smaller frames. It's a great display option. My thought, find a basic coffee table, set a multi photo frame on top, nail/ glue it in place, then cut a piece of glass to fit on top of the frame find something to hold glass in place on top of frame/table.

Check out heather's show display and you might get a better idea of what i'm trying to explain.
Old 2014-08-24, 11:00am
Must..have..more...glass

I bought some acrylic cubes at the local plastics store and drilled holes in them to accept acrylic rod to create risers for display. They also work pretty well for photographing beads. One thing I will do differently when I make more of them is to not drill the hole all the way through the cubes so the rod doesn't slide on through when you pick it up.

Facebook:
Old 2014-08-24, 1:47pm
Melody of Glass

Thanks Kays. Good ideas.

Coming soon...

Old 2014-08-24, 9:18pm
Burn baby, burn

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50269369/

This is what I was talking about...Liatorp from ikea
Old 2014-08-25, 3:55am
Melody of Glass

That's not a bad price either. I could see that filled with beans and beads. Bad colour choices for me...that's the only issue.

Coming soon...

Old 2014-08-25, 7:08am
dances with ideas...

I love the letterpress table! I have thought about getting one and hanging it on the wall for a display. (the drawer, not the table, lol)

Old 2014-08-25, 7:20am
Moving On

I've been considering this one from IKEA:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...278/#/20242277

Old 2014-08-25, 8:42am

Hat/Coat stands work well.
Attached Images

-> I'm Chuck, I like Glass Dots
mini cc - natural gas - oxycon - 104 coe
Old 2014-08-25, 3:15pm
Melody of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainygrrl View Post
I love the letterpress table! I have thought about getting one and hanging it on the wall for a display. (the drawer, not the table, lol)

That's a nice one too, Gail. And not a bad price.

Coming soon...