Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-03-26, 7:59am

Default Adjustable height torch

Does anyone have suggestions for making a torch adjustable? I want to stand while using the hot outer flame to melt tubing and sit for the precision work with the small inner flame.

ABR has an adjustable torch jack. Has anyone used it? Does it raise and lower smoothly? Does it lock and unlock easily? Does it wobble when fully extended? Has anyone had any problems with it?

Or does someone have a lightweight alternative? I don't think my table can handle the weight of bricks to raise the torch.

Many thanks,
Lisa
Old 2012-03-26, 8:22am
Pyromaniac

You could make a platform out of cement backer board, perhaps, but the torch jack seems like a good product.

Here is something an extremely cursory google search turned up: http://www.sciencelab.com/page/S/PVAR/10-90034
rated for 200#

My concern is that if the table can't handle the weight of bricks, is it safe at ALL? It may be time to consider a new table/bench.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-03-26, 8:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post

My concern is that if the table can't handle the weight of bricks, is it safe at ALL? It may be time to consider a new table/bench.

I think that is a good question that Chris brought up, safety first...

My bench is taller than average because I stand more than I sit.
I use a bar stool that is taller than the average chair so that it
is the correct height when I do sit. I think a torch jack to use on the fly with the torch on is asking for trouble. I hope you find something that works for you safely.
Old 2012-03-27, 6:31am

My Jupiter came from the maker with an articulated stand which is useful for raising and lowering the torch (see below). I think Tom Doner (Wonker) used to make/supply something very similar, but I'm not sure if he still does. Maybe he'll chime in if he sees this or if you message him, he may be able to point you in the right direction. If not, just print out this pic and take it to a toolmaker or engineer, they're not terribly complicated to have made up. The arm can be made longer, depending on how much more height you'll need.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Running a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2012-03-27, 1:55pm

our jaxx are pretty sweet actually. they do have wheels that lock them very easily. they bolt to your table, and there is a clip on the top plate to hold your torch in place. i have heard a lot of people rave about them after purchasing, that's for sure.

only thing is, i think we only have a couple left. i'm not sure we'll be able to get them back in. i'll have to check with the original manufacturer on that.

Old 2012-03-27, 7:57pm
szglassy

I bought mine from blast sheild a few years back.
My carlisle cc is mounted on it and is very sturdy,although it's not adjustable while torching.
This way you can stand or sit depending on what you are doing while reducing arm and back strain