Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-02-28, 11:08am
Formerly Kellyhorton

Default lighting-help im going blind, lol

ok. Im in a dark garage. the flame blinds me, the rest of the garage is dark. help...wear sunglasses to look at the flame. I cant put up an overhead celing light where my torch is. So i need some kind of lamp that i can bend to shine over my work area and illuminate my whole torch table. what kind of light????

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-02-28, 11:29am
honorary bead lady

Well you can try...
Desk lamps
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XSG10001

Or brooder lamps...
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...7X-_-100664505

And my first question would be why no ceiling light???
Old 2010-02-28, 11:38am
PyronamixK

Don't wear sunglasses to work glass. The result is that your pupils dilate and let in more of the light that you don't want to get into your eyes, while still making everything else a lot darker.

Do you have didymium or ACE glasses to block the soda flare? Those will help out a lot with the brightness. If you are working boro, you will need additional filtration.

Can you get a lamp to light the garage so it isn't so dark? I have built-in overhead lights in the top of my ventilation box. They're on a dimmer, too, so I can adjust the brightness.
Old 2010-02-28, 11:49am
Formerly Kellyhorton

I have a garage light in the middle of the garage, barely lights the garage, i have lights like the second one from home depot, but it kind of blinds just the spot. Im on my way to lowes now, i will figure it out. didnt know what kind of glasses to get. in the welding section, they only had clear goggles, or totally dark welding glasses. thats my next purchase. will order them online from one of the vendors here when i get back from lowes.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-02-28, 11:50am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Here's the brooder light clamped on my vent hood.

Jack

Old 2010-02-28, 11:54am
honorary bead lady

Kelly you need to get some Diddys like Kim said from one of the glass suppliers.

I don't like to work with the shop lights on so I just use the brooder lamp and the light in my hood
Old 2010-02-28, 12:19pm
In search of her path....

are you working soft glass or boro?

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2010-02-28, 1:32pm
PyronamixK

I had a similar lighting set-up as Jack's when I had a hood like that. I now have an enclosed box. You could probably plug the brooder lamp into a rheostat and be able to dim it to your preference, as well.
Old 2010-02-28, 2:52pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&M View Post
Here's the brooder light clamped on my vent hood.

Jack
This is what I use, and I use a compact fluorescent 23W "Daylight" bulb. It's 100W equivalent and the light is bright and white. The same bulb is what I use for taking my pictures for true colors.
Old 2010-02-28, 5:15pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

I have one of those, but its not bright enough. Not sure what bulb i have, where can i get a stronger one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
This is what I use, and I use a compact fluorescent 23W "Daylight" bulb. It's 100W equivalent and the light is bright and white. The same bulb is what I use for taking my pictures for true colors.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

Old 2010-02-28, 11:14pm
Unmedicated since '62

good lord! tell me please that you are getting some diddys!!!?

ordinary clear eye protection is no good and thats why you cant look at the flame and IT WILL DAMAGE YOUR EYES!!!

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-03-01, 8:32am
Life is change. Love it

When you get your didy's you will have much less of a problem. I wouldn't even try working without them if i were you.

Old 2010-03-01, 8:59am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhorton View Post
ok. Im in a dark garage. the flame blinds me, the rest of the garage is dark. help...wear sunglasses to look at the flame.
DUMP THE SUN GLASSES.... The do not do anything for but make work hard to see...

Phillpis Safety Glasses for Lampworkers

At very minimum you need something to protect eyes and be able to see past the Soda Flare (orange ball of light around molten glass)... Something with minimum of ACE 202 lenses...

IF you are working Boro you need split lenses with ACE 202 Base and Welders shade 2-5 lenses add on's...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-03-01, 9:16pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhorton View Post
I have one of those, but its not bright enough. Not sure what bulb i have, where can i get a stronger one?
There is a big difference in the compact fluoresecents out there, and the brightest one by far is "Daylight". I have other bulbs of this type and size in "Soft White" and that light is dingy, gloomy, and yellow compared to the Daylight.

Lowes has the Bright Effects brand and they are about $10 for a 4 pack.

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-03-01 at 9:18pm.
Old 2010-03-02, 1:43am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
good lord! tell me please that you are getting some diddys!!!?

ordinary clear eye protection is no good and thats why you cant look at the flame and IT WILL DAMAGE YOUR EYES!!!
Actually, a lot depends on the size of the flame, the type of glass being worked, and how close your eyes are to the source(s) of emission.

If you are working soft glass on a Hot Head torch, clear safety goggles are usually fine.

The ACE or didymium lenses will filter the soda flare and make working much easier (because you an see what you're doing). They really don't do much else besides filter that soda flare, unless they are safety glasses, too, and offer impact protection.

Some colors have metals in them that cause the glass to flare up very brightly. If you are working a lot of those colors, you may want to consider adding additional filtration. Also, if you are fair-skinned and have light eyes, your eyes are more susceptible to damage from radiation. Good filtration is a good idea.

When working boro, you will be using a larger flame and will be heating the glass up to higher temperatures. The hotter gathers of glass emit higher radiation, and your eyes need more protection. This is why boro glasses tend to have welder shade filters in addition to other filters.

If you are just dabbling in boro, you can get a pair of welding shade clip-ons to fit over your ACE or didymium frames. Keep in mind that the plastic lenses fade over time/exposure to light. If you decide that you want to work boro regularly, it's a good idea to invest in some good quality boro lenses. There are different types out there.

Sunglasses are not safety glasses. The won't necessarily offer protection from exploding debris. And, on top of that, they can open your eyes up to more radiation damage than would normally be incurred. They also do nothing for the soda flare (the bright orange ball of fire around the glass when you have it in the flame).
Old 2010-03-02, 9:24am
Hmmmm.....

You can get a pair of diddys from Frantz for $45.00, it will be SO worth it. There is a HUGE difference between sun glasses and diddy's, you will be shocked when you try them.
You could also ask in the garage sale area of LE for a used pair!
http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=1943

My

My

Currently on a HotHead w/ Bulk Propane, can't wait till I can use my Cricket!