Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

View Poll Results: Northstar Odds and Seconds
Love them! 27 65.85%
Haven't tried them! 11 26.83%
Hate them! 0 0%
Other 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-09-15, 2:23pm
Debra Clutter

Default Northstar Odds and Seconds - Poll

How do you feel about Northstar Odds and Seconds? ABR is having their sale on them and I am wondering if it is worth getting some?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2009-09-15, 2:31pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I don't mind the odd shapes - I work fine with those.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-09-15, 2:34pm
Pyromaniac

If you are trying to save money get the odds, not the seconds, because they are just oddly shaped or somehow not quite right but still first quality color. I've gotten some that were fatter on one end than the other but otherwise they work the same as first quality.

The Seconds usually have slight imperfections like bubbles or the color is off. They are not first quality but can be fun for an unexpected result.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2009-09-15, 2:35pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
If you are trying to save money get the odds, not the seconds, because they are just oddly shaped or somehow not quite right but still first quality color. I've gotten some that were fatter on one end than the other but otherwise they work the same as first quality.

The Seconds usually have slight imperfections like bubbles or the color is off. They are not first quality but can be fun for an unexpected result.
Don't forget rocks and other debris in the seconds.
I don't buy seconds anymore. The stuff I have, I use for spacers.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-09-15, 2:41pm
Debra Clutter

Good to know! I don't want to waste my money! Thanks!

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2009-09-15, 4:55pm
Button Queen

The seconds are OK if you can go to their shop and pick them out yourself. Otherwise get the Odds. LOVE the odds...!
Old 2009-09-15, 5:47pm
Macaw Mamma

Hate seconds... LOVE LOVE LOVE Odds!!!!

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2009-09-15, 7:21pm

ditto on the odds....seconds are second quality
Old 2009-09-15, 7:47pm

got to love them i just placed my order today....they are especially good for mixing my down to get the colors you want.......
Old 2009-09-15, 8:05pm
ManBearPig

Odds are fine. I use them a lot. Most of the color I buy is odds, actually.

Seconds I never use. You never know what you're getting.

Old 2009-09-15, 8:25pm

I use mostly odds, no way I could afford the color pallet that I have now had I bought all firsts.
Old 2009-09-16, 1:08am

I will use seconds for some applications, but I know before hand what I'm going to use them for. I use odds all the time.
Old 2009-09-16, 4:45am
ManBearPig

The problem with seconds is that a lot of time the COE is off. There's no way to know unless you do a COE test (who actually does that any more) or you just use it by itself.

Stay away from seconds. I'm honestly not even sure why they sell them any more...

Old 2009-09-16, 5:34am
Pyromaniac

I guess they could be a cheap way to practice but I'm not sure how much a difference there is in price.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2009-09-16, 8:34am

I bought a lot of seconds when I was first learning and never had a problem with them. Now that I know the colors better and want consistent results I would much rather have first quality color. Odds are great!

Old 2009-09-16, 9:21pm

yes odds
I'm going to change the shape anyway.
but no seconds in my work.
G.
Old 2009-09-16, 11:23pm
I need more boro stuff

Since I never work with boro, I wonder if is it worth for me to buy any while it's on special?
I'm planning to, just waiting for my eye protection to arrives.

1lb each color is too much, right for newbie? I have no clue what colors do I like yet.

Old 2009-09-17, 2:53am

I love the odds and one off colors. Don't want to take the chance on seconds. IMHO

Old 2009-09-24, 2:27pm

awww ...give the poor seconds a chance ...lol

I love seconds, not only is the price right at $12 lb( times are extremely tuff right now for me and the price gave me a chance to get alot of different colors ) ... I like the differences , I also love the odds and experimentals.... I havent had any breaking issues or compatibility issues ..the funky shapped rods dont bother me
these are all from seconds...