Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-04-11, 9:20am

Default Will my pendants crack?

My relay went out on my kiln but I'm dying to make something today. Can I use a fiber blanket or vermiculite with boro pendants or am I just asking for disaster?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-11, 9:29am

Their are lots of variables to consider there, but for the most part if they are not too large you should be fine. Be sure to batch anneal them later though.
Old 2011-04-11, 10:13am
Playing with Fire!

You should be fine with most pendants, unless they are huge. Just put them between the frax when the glow is gone, and be careful not to uncover partly cool ones when you add new work. When I don't have a kiln handy, I usually work into 2 strips about 4" x 12", start in the middle, and work my way first to one end, and then the other. I hold a hand down on the frax over the work previously placed there as I lift up the end to place the next one. At the end of the day, just place them all in a cold kiln, ramp up over 45 min to an hour and anneal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Playing with Fire!
Old 2011-04-12, 5:46am

Hey, Dawn ~ Sorry! Will I see you at RMBS? We are in booth 112.

Old 2011-04-12, 6:12am
Hobby Junkie

Boro is pretty resilient. I've already just put finished stuff in the cold kiln while I continued torching (no blanket or anything). I've never had things thermal crack.

Old 2011-04-12, 1:27pm

Thanks everyone! I've been using a fiber blanket and it's worked just fine.

Leslie - I don't know if I'll make it down or not but I'll be sure to stop by and see you if I do!

Old 2011-04-13, 4:54am
Pyromaniac

Dawn I'm not advising you to do this, but from doing various demos, I've found that most smooth, rounded pendants, like an implosion etc will usually bench cool on top of a bit of fiber blanket (or even on a piece of graphite (bad idea!!)) without cracking. I've not had the same luck with items that have more stress inherent, such as molded and/or complex forms, but even they crack less than you'd expect. Unless you try to rework them without first ramping them up in a kiln. Then it's usually KABLOOEY!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy

Last edited by Bunyip; 2011-04-14 at 7:54am.
Old 2011-04-13, 8:50am
ManBearPig

Don't try cooling them on graphite. Graphite sucks the heat out of glass (which is why it works for marvering).

Old 2011-04-14, 7:54am
Pyromaniac

Yeah don't try that graphite thing - I should have probably mentioned that it was a bad idea - I mentioned it assuming people would understand that it was pretty amazing - but Cosmo's post makes me realize that a disclaimer should have been included - so I added one.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy